Jump to content
Davebrad

Brexit again...

Recommended Posts

On 15/11/2019 at 20:16, ginge said:

We do not have a coalition government 

Ok, but we don’t have a majority Government, it is not far off a coalition and when we did officially have a coalition last it was not a huge success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/11/2019 at 18:34, philpvfc said:

It’s always between the 2 main parties in the U.K. though with what ends up in a majority or one of them forming a coalition with a really small party. In France you can’t always predict the 2 parties meaning the 2 main parties can change through the years which will not happen in the U.K., we are stuck with a choice of Conservative or Labour.

None of them seem to last long either.Its a political merry go round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, For Us All said:

None of them seem to last long either.Its a political merry go round. 

At the beginning of the 20th Century there were two main parties - Conservative and Liberal. From the 1920s onwards the Liberals were gradually supplanted by Labour, the latter forming short lived governments in the 20s and 30s before winning by a landslide in 1945; the rest as they say is history. 

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that something similar could happen to either the Conservatives or Labour, but which one? Whatever happens, with the electoral system we have only two parties will have a chance of forming a government, any others being kingmakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Rumour that nige is getting a well deserved knighthood in the new years honours. 

Can we go to the high court and postpone Xmas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ginge said:

Finally we have took back control. No more Brussel sprouts. We have our proper british sprouts back. Christmas is back thanks to Brexit.

Can't wait for chlorinated chicken next year when we get a great fantastic deal from Trump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ginge said:

Can't wait for chlorinated chicken next year when we get a great fantastic deal from Trump

Salad.....

"Yes, the bagged salad leaves are washed in a chlorine rinse, which some industry sources confirm can reduce nutrient levels. ... But it has not in any way been conclusively proved that this packaging technology accelerates the nutrient loss that happens normally during storage.Apr 3, 2017

Various forms of chlorine are used extensively as a disinfectant in wash, spray and flume waters in the raw fruit and vegetable industry. ... From a food safety perspective, chlorine has been used safely and effectively for many years to quickly kill microorganisms on food surfaces and prevent cross-contamination.May 12, 2010

chicken

However, numerous studies and scientific research have confirmed that the use of chlorinated water to chill and clean chicken is safe and effective. Chlorine-washed chicken does not pose any human health concerns and it is not present in the final product.Jul 26, 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, geosname said:

Salad.....

"Yes, the bagged salad leaves are washed in a chlorine rinse, which some industry sources confirm can reduce nutrient levels. ... But it has not in any way been conclusively proved that this packaging technology accelerates the nutrient loss that happens normally during storage.Apr 3, 2017

Various forms of chlorine are used extensively as a disinfectant in wash, spray and flume waters in the raw fruit and vegetable industry. ... From a food safety perspective, chlorine has been used safely and effectively for many years to quickly kill microorganisms on food surfaces and prevent cross-contamination.May 12, 2010

chicken

However, numerous studies and scientific research have confirmed that the use of chlorinated water to chill and clean chicken is safe and effective. Chlorine-washed chicken does not pose any human health concerns and it is not present in the final product.Jul 26, 2019

Here is a technical analysis of US compared to UK food standards from Techround:

https://techround.co.uk/business/american-food-standards/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/12/2019 at 17:18, CambridgeDon said:

Here is a technical analysis of US compared to UK food standards from Techround:

https://techround.co.uk/business/american-food-standards/

 

The way it reads doesn't suggest impartiality; rather its attacks on Labour claims in the language it does suggests they are very partial indeed. Could they be Trump supporters by any chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old chestnut "Chlorine water" raises it's ugly head again.

When chlorine gas or a simple chlorine like compound is dissolved in water it forms a complex equilibrium mixture of chemical species depending on the pH of the water, it's main use is as an antibacterial (It kills cholera, dysentry and Ttyphoid) but it also kill viruses, protozoa and other microorganisms effectively at extremely low concentrations, eg it is effective in drinking water up to 4 parts/million, a tiny, tiny concentration.

Chlorine water is used in drinking water so that people can have safe running water to drink, used in food preparation eg chicken washed with clorine water to reduce the number of bacteria on the chicken, cleaning around the home and all sorts of things where a cheap efficient antibacterial agent is required.

The only alternative to using Chorine water to reduce bacteria during food production/preparation is to use more expensive and precious antibiotics which increases the problem of antibiotic resistance although this is also seen with chlorine water but to a lesser extent.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using chlorine water to remove bacteria ect from chicken, the chicken tastes fantastic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remainers couldnt care less about chlorine water.

Shops already sell chlorinated stuff from America.

They forget that a trade deal would be about removing tariffs not necessarily restrictions on products 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 28/12/2019 at 12:33, Heatwave said:

The way it reads doesn't suggest impartiality; rather its attacks on Labour claims in the language it does suggests they are very partial indeed. Could they be Trump supporters by any chance?

Or then again it might be accurate.

https://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/Index

 

saying that I don’t know how they come up with Singapore scoring so highly on affordability. Last time I was there I was paying £12 for a plate of chips and that was when the exchange rate was 35% better than it is now.

Edited by philpvfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/12/2019 at 11:19, Regal Beagle said:

Rumour that nige is getting a well deserved knighthood in the new years honours. 

Bit premature, Watford are not safe yet.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hillmanhunter said:

It's not the fact that American chicken is chlorinated. It's the fact that it has to be chlorinated.

Most chicken is treated with some type of pathogen reduction treatment during processing and before it's cooked. The European ban on chlorinated chicken is probably more about protectionism than safety as if USA chlorinated chicken was less safe to eat there would be mounds of data to support the claim.

I fail to see how the UK can lecture anyone on meat safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2019 at 20:41, Paul6754 said:

The old chestnut "Chlorine water" raises it's ugly head again.

When chlorine gas or a simple chlorine like compound is dissolved in water it forms a complex equilibrium mixture of chemical species depending on the pH of the water, it's main use is as an antibacterial (It kills cholera, dysentry and Ttyphoid) but it also kill viruses, protozoa and other microorganisms effectively at extremely low concentrations, eg it is effective in drinking water up to 4 parts/million, a tiny, tiny concentration.

Chlorine water is used in drinking water so that people can have safe running water to drink, used in food preparation eg chicken washed with clorine water to reduce the number of bacteria on the chicken, cleaning around the home and all sorts of things where a cheap efficient antibacterial agent is required.

The only alternative to using Chorine water to reduce bacteria during food production/preparation is to use more expensive and precious antibiotics which increases the problem of antibiotic resistance although this is also seen with chlorine water but to a lesser extent.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using chlorine water to remove bacteria ect from chicken, the chicken tastes fantastic.

 

The EU already permits the use of chlorine in water with a parametric value of 250 mg/l . The relevant EU Regulation can be found here:

https://www.lenntech.com/applications/drinking/standards/eu-s-drinking-water-standards.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy