onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

Saw that earlier today. Interestingly people in the north are most proud of the nation, including our area.

I'm not sure what this survey actually demonstrates because I think people have very diverse opinions on what pride is. There are lots of things to be proud of about England but that can be said of all advanced, civilised nations so should we be more 'proud' to be English than other nationalities should be 'proud' of their countries? Personally my feeling of 'pride' in the nation comes from my thinking we behave in a generally fair manner collectively. Obviously this is a matter of opinion and open to criticism but I think England is a pretty decent country and better than many others, even some supposedly leading nations.

I have to say it's disappointing that a significant proportion of the population don't feel any national pride, things might not be perfect but they aren't anywhere and England's hardly a bad country by any measure, e.g., freedom, standard of living, criminal justice, international relations, educational opportunities, whatever. If, as a nation, we behaved like we did in the 19th century then I could understand people not being proud of it but we've come a long way since then and have a much more balanced and egalitarian society. Even though there are many things we all criticise or like about England, dependent on personal opinion, and many things Englishmen & women argue about - the EU and Brexit being a prime example - that's healthy in my view and the open argument and debate is, in my opinion, something we can be particularly proud of.

As I said, this survey doesn't really demonstrate a great deal because we're none the wiser as to why people are or aren't proud of being English and what are the respondent correlations to the different questions, such as does ethnicity directly correlate to national pride or not? For all we know people who have come here as immigrants for a better life may feel more national pride than those born here because this country has improved their it in life. Conversely the complete opposite could also be true.

I suspect the publishers of this survey are attempting to show some link between nationalism, 'pride' and Brexit but that's not necessarily the case because, along with many people I know who are 'Remainers' like myself, I do have pride in being English because we have plenty to be proud of, which is not to be confused with uninformed nationalistic bigotry as demonstrated by organisations like the BNP or EDL.

I'm proud to be English and also proud to be European.

The survey states that only 45% of 18-24 year olds are proud to be English.Could this be due to children being taught to be ashamed of our history and is a new left-wing view of history now being taught in schools?

Correct. There’s nothing wrong with being patriotic and proud of your birthplace, there is a massive difference with being patriotic and racist but unfortunately the two get tarnished together.

On a personal note I wouldn’t say I’m proud or not to be English but I am always proud to say I’m from Stoke On Trent and more often than not say that’s where I am from despite not living there for nearly 7 years.

It's more likely to be in the universities, Beryl.

There's nowhere near enough contact time in Universities to indoctrinate anyone.

I did two years of dry lectures about the Coal & Steel Council, the Treaty of Rome, all that stuff... it put everybody off the whole subject more than anything. The majority ended up having to re-sit.

The survey states that only 45% of 18-24 year olds are proud to be English.Could this be due to children being taught to be ashamed of our history and is a new left-wing view of history now being taught in schools?

When people these days talk about things that they have no idea about and pass it off as truth.

Alternative facts - right wing rhetoric for blatant lies.

Free trade - right wing rhetoric for reducing taxes and the state, including public services such as health & education.

Take back control - right wing rhetoric for removing employment rights and restricting workers collective representation through anti-trade union legislation.

No wonder the enemies of the people such as Rees Mogg, Gove, Fox, Johnson and Farage campaigned to drag us out of the EU irrelevant of the potential disaster of exiting the single market and customs union. Traitors, the lot of them.

Alternative facts - right wing rhetoric for blatant lies.

Free trade - right wing rhetoric for reducing taxes and the state, including public services such as health & education.

Take back control - right wing rhetoric for removing employment rights and restricting workers collective representation through anti-trade union legislation.

No wonder the enemies of the people such as Rees Mogg, Gove, Fox, Johnson and Farage campaigned to drag us out of the EU irrelevant of the potential disaster of exiting the single market and customs union. Traitors, the lot of them.

The words of a remainer.

Get over it and try and honour democracy.

The words of a remainer.

Get over it and try and honour democracy.

That's exactly what he is doing.

Opposing something that he disagrees with as fundamentally detrimental to the country and 95% of the way of life for people.

Thanks for the reminder of how it works.

That's exactly what he is doing.

Opposing something that he disagrees with as fundamentally detrimental to the country and 95% of the way of life for people.

Thanks for the reminder of how it works.

Another loser then who won't accept defeat and clings on to another referendum until it swings their way.

How it works is,you have a referendum and the side that gets the most votes WINS,on the other hand the side that gets the least votes(that's you) LOSES.

Get over it and be a nice loser,that's how democracy works.

Archived