onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

When we leave the EU and leave the single market which is exactly what we should do we can impose tariffs on steel coming in from the EU and protect our own steel works rather than having government subsidised steel coming from the likes of Sweden etc.

Although I think it’s wrong what Trump has done because the US public in a whole will be worse off I can see why he has, the EU and China are quick to impose tariffs when it suits them.

It was one of Trump's pledges leading up to the election and part of his 'America First' manifesto.

Advert

Can’t see on the video where he ever said Brexit would be a huge success. He did say we will be a lot better off outside of the EU.

Farage has done his job in helping us get out of the EU, it’s out of his control now wether Brexit is a success.

He said we would be substatially better off. He said prices would come down for consumers. He said we would have a better quality of life. He said British trade would be boosted. If that does equate to a huge success I don't know what does.

Just a propaganda video from a group who don’t believe in democracy and want another referendum again and again and will then still complain about the result.

Democracy is not a static thing. The people wanted a Labour government in 2005, they didn't in 2010. They wanted a Tory majority government in 2015, they didn't in 2017. Why should the Referendum vote be set in stone if, as is clear to anyone, it is becoming an almighty cock up with no one in power having the slightest idea what they are doing??

Why is it becoming an all mighty cock up?

That’s the opinion of a lot of the remainers. Do you want to keep having referendums until the result goes your way?

I’ll tell you what, shall we keep playing Barnet away until we lose as I’m sure the Barnet fans would want that.

It was a one off referendum, live with the result even though you don’t agree with the result.

Why is it becoming an all mighty cock up?

OK, tell me what the solution is to the Irish border problem - so far all we've had is cock ups. Tell me whether we are going to a) stay in the single market, b) stay in the customs union, c) max fac, d) AN Other. No one can agree so it's a cock up. Just a couple of examples. We seem to have no idea what the key points of our negotiating position are.

With regard to it being a one off referendum so I should live with the result, Bill Cash and his fellow Brexiteers have spent 40 years not living with the result of the first referendum so why should it live with this one when I think it's madness????

And I bet there are a few million others who feel the same.

I have never met anyone who voted leave and regretted it. It's B***S*** in my opinion as the comment is probably a remainer still crying and trying to do what the media do - make it up!

I'm a leaver and feel more angry with a remainer running our country and buckling at every meeting with the EU. I would vote leave again and again.

I want rid of that rag that flies around our country yes the blue piece of fabric with an daft star emblem on it. It serves not point and has no history.

I'm sure the EU nationals will be more upset if we decided void their licence as from now.

Believe in Britain

OK, tell me what the solution is to the Irish border problem - so far all we've had is cock ups. Tell me whether we are going to a) stay in the single market, b) stay in the customs union, c) max fac, d) AN Other. No one can agree so it's a cock up. Just a couple of examples. We seem to have no idea what the key points of our negotiating position are.

With regard to it being a one off referendum so I should live with the result, Bill Cash and his fellow Brexiteers have spent 40 years not living with the result of the first referendum so why should it live with this one when I think it's madness????

Well,let's have another 40years outside the EU,see what it's like and then if we don't like it have another referendum.

Only fair isn't it?

I'd rather get rid of that rag that flies over UK government buildings and symbolises English imperial oppression of Scotland, Wales and Ireland followed by the former colonies of it's imperial past.

Somebody else trying to erase British history then?

I want rid of that rag that flies around our country yes the blue piece of fabric with an daft star emblem on it. It serves not point and has no history.

I'm sure the EU nationals will be more upset if we decided void their licence as from now.

Believe in Britain

This...

As in, this is the kind of nonsensical idiocy that supporters of Brexit are reduced to. There is no substance to any point contained in it. Flags, daft star emblems, petulance, sloganeering. "Believe in Britain". This is Brexit - nothing else.

It's clearer by the week, if not the day, that there is no leave scenario available that wouldn't be immensely harmful to the UK - economically, socially, culturally. And yet some either can't see, or refuse to see.

I would argue that those who support Remain "Believe in Britain". They believe in Britain's place in the world that is enhanced by their senior standing within the EU. That European peace and stability (read up on European history from the Roman Empire to 1990 to give you an idea) is underscored by the existence, among other things, of the EU. That it's probably better to be on the terms of mutual understanding, and often on same side as our nearest neighbours, rather than in conflict.

That doesn't mean that there aren't things to improve on, far from it. But it's still a better path than the current lunacy.

Somebody else trying to erase British history then?
No, just a bit tounge-in-cheek response that is not without some truth to the earlier drivel in the post with Alf Garnett undertones regarding the EU flag being A 'rag' with no history. Britain, like most places, has a mixed history and a lot of ours is not good unless, of course, you happen to be an imperialist with bigoted views of racial and national superiority.

No, just a bit tounge-in-cheek response that is not without some truth to the earlier drivel in the post with Alf Garnett undertones regarding the EU flag being A 'rag' with no history. Britain, like most places, has a mixed history and a lot of ours is not good unless, of course, you happen to be an imperialist with bigoted views of racial and national superiority.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one,it looks like I'm one of the 44% and you're one of the 21%.

In a YouGov poll it found 44 per cent were proud of Britain’s history of colonialism while only 21% regretted that it happened.23% held neither view.

The same poll also asked about whether the British Empire was a good thing or a bad thing: 43% said it was good, while only 19% said it was bad. 25% responded that it was “neither.

From a YouGov poll taken in January 2016.

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one,it looks like I'm one of the 44% and you're one of the 21%.

In a YouGov poll it found 44 per cent were proud of Britain’s history of colonialism while only 21% regretted that it happened.23% held neither view.

The same poll also asked about whether the British Empire was a good thing or a bad thing: 43% said it was good, while only 19% said it was bad. 25% responded that it was “neither.

From a YouGov poll taken in January 2016.

Interesting survey and yes, you are correct in my being in the 21% although I hold the view of that's history, it happened, we can't change it but we should be aware of it and learn from it, both good and bad. The British empire, like many others such as the French, Dutch, Roman, and Greek, did both good and bad things (what have the Romans ever done for us?) but I think all imperialism through history has done much more bad things than good, millions have been robbed, enslaved, oppressed and butchered by it. I'm an internationalist and simply wish for as much fairness and equality as possible across the world.

I'm very pro-European as anyone who's seen my posts will know but that doesn't mean I think everything is well with the EU, far from it, and I know from my debates with family and friends from many European countries that there is a significant desire to change the way the EU is structured and operates. The biggest common issue I have found is resentment towards the massive uncontrolled immigration to the EU from outside the Union itself, especially by people who have massively different culture and value sets to those common to indigenous Europeans. However, another commonality I have observed from my personal discussions is the general acknowledgement that we are better off economically as a single unit where we can compete with the massive rival economies of the USA, China and India.

There is no doubt the EU has to reform politically if it is to continue and be successful but I think we have to be a part of that reform and need to be driving it alongside our strongest economic allies such as France and Germany,it is in the interests of the likes of the USA and China to divide and conquer us. At the end of the day it is, as Karl Marx correctly pointed out, all about economics and personally I value our European way of life, value set and standard of living. I see my fellow Europeans as my friends and colleagues not as rivals or enemies.

It’s quaint that you think the USA would want to do that for the UK.

I’m sure someone else on here like Warren will understand the ins and outs better than me but I’m pretty sure a UK/US trade agreement would have to comply with WTO Most Favoured Nation rules, and special treatment isn’t on the cards.

You are right to raise the WTO rules. I was surprised at the depth of Rees Moggs's knowledge and tactical understanding during an interview I saw with him. It did make me alert to the fact that I am not familiar with the detail and most people aren't even those politically speaking out.

There is a new issue. WTO rules were brought in to overcome trade wars and protectionism. But Trump says he wants America first and can win a trade war. So if the biggest economy led by Trump decides to withdraw from WTO then that framework may collapse as well. I am surmising that is bad. But it helps us be more flexible in bilateral trade agreements. Another thing that is different from the start of WTO is technology and the ability to manage imports and exports accounting efficiently with audit trails. That assists confidence in fair play if established correctly.

I don’t see our fellow Europeans as enemies but as allies who we should continue to work with closely, that is not an issue but it does not mean we are better off paying a fortune to be a member of a club that does not allow us to run our country and trade with other nations as we wish.

You have a different opinion of whether or not we should remain in the EU and that’s fair enough but it does not mean we have a different opinion on who should be our allies. I’m sure we will continue to work very closely and trade with the EU as we are doing now.

Archived