onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

So basically are we tied to this dictatorship forever?

A bit over the top if I may say so.

Is there an institution that is less democratic than the House of Lords?

Or indeed an executive than can ride roughshod over everyone else with only 40% of the popular vote?

I take the point that the EU has moved closer to political integration than some would like or expected, rather than a trading block, but it's given you and me and everyone else 50 years of peace and prosperity.

Advert

I don't disagree with much of that.... but.... and it's a big one..... the question was asked and answered.

From what I remember of the remain campaign it was all arguments about a bus and immigrants are our friends.... none of what you mentioned above.

But I thought the electorate knew all of that?

The people who voted don't care about unpicking.... they delegated those jobs to the politicians.

So they delegated the process but not the decision? that's where it all went wrong. We elect MPs to make these decisions and then tell them they can't - or at least a Tory PM does because he's **** scared of the right wing of his party.

In years to come someone will write a book about Brexit and everyone will think it's fiction and too far-fetched to be believable.

I honestly don't know what this has to do with anything in this thread.

I agree with you that this international law seems ridiculous but I don't know what it has to do with the US/Brexit/sovereignty.

Fair enough, if you don't understand, so be it.

This wasn't a GE, this was a decision to big for parliament to make. It wasn't a decision about who runs the country for a few years it was about a monumental shift.

No one on either side voted for this shambles.... deciding what you give away before discussing what you may get in return is ludicrous.... but we did it and continue to do it.

Politicians vowing to uphold the result of the vote obstructing at every turn to make political gain... and now a jumped up turd deciding parliament can't vote.... really.

Now we have to do an Oliver twist...... please sir Europe..... can we have some more?

I am having serious doubts about the ability of the present incumbents to deal with a sovereign UK.

It was a small decision in national terms, purely an internal problem the Tories had with UKIP threatening their base. So a pure accident, it broke the main referendum rule, only hold one when you know the result, or the result does not matter. The referee decided that repeat votes were against the rules, the problem of a parliament without a written constitution, not that the US is perfect.

No one voted for the ridiculous goings on.

We voted for brexit and the Government and Parliament have tried their absolute hardest to derail that since day 1.

There was never any intention to leave. That is anti democracy.

Because no one knew what what the costs would be to leave the EU, what it would entail and what the major issues would be. The ridiculous goings on are proof that even MP's including the cabinet and even the PM had no idea. A vote to leave was a shot in the dark, a huge risk.

For you to post a few posts back that you were "Aware of the costs of leaving" was laughable, you must have been the only person in the UK who was "Aware of the costs of leaving" on referendum day 2016

Not only were we aware of the costs of leaving.....

Not quite,the March 29 exit date is set in law, the default is to leave on that date unless May agrees a delay or parliament changes the law.
How can she go against the "Will of Parliament" the Mother of Democracy? Revoking Article 50 is the only option if the extension is vetoed.

How can she go against the "Will of Parliament" the Mother of Democracy? Revoking Article 50 is the only option if the extension is vetoed.

It looks like there will be a short extension until May 22nd.

Let's hope that it's our May day and she's gone?

But I thought the electorate knew all of that?

So they delegated the process but not the decision? that's where it all went wrong. We elect MPs to make these decisions and then tell them they can't - or at least a Tory PM does because he's **** scared of the right wing of his party.

In years to come someone will write a book about Brexit and everyone will think it's fiction and too far-fetched to be believable.

The electorate knew they wanted to leave.... do you want to know how a refrigerator works before you decide you want one? .... or buy one?

The MPs delegated the decision to leave to the public, not the other way around, the public made the decision..... due to political posturing and wrangling the MPs have screwed it up, that doesn't change the decision.

I think the decision was the wrong one... but it was made.

Archived