onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Give Neil Aspin a Longer deal now Mr Smurthwaite!

old sage

I was delighted but a little wary of how our returning legend Neil Aspin would cope in managing our shambles of a football club but I can see that he and his backroom team sre the men to take us forward already after only a few games.

Some will say it's much too soon but the in my opinion the way he has turned a group of no marks with a couple of exceptions from a squad that couldn't buy a win into a team that can give a team in L1 a good thrashing and believe me it was a thrashing because 4 or 5 nil wouldn't have flattered us.

His tactics have been spot on he has recognised what so few others did that good service and support to our frontman Popey would reap a rich reward and boy was he right.

Further more you can clearly see that the no nonsense approach that he has brought to the club is popular with both the fans and the players and all of those on view are suddenly playing with a spring in their step.

It's true that his interviews aren't delivered inspiringly but if you listen to what he says the guy knows his stuff and I now am looking forward with optimism to see how far 'The Asp' can take us.

SO COME ON MR SMURTHWAITE DO SOMETHING RIGHT AND GIVE THE BLOKE A DECENT LENGTH CONTRACT!

Advert

I was delighted but a little wary of how our returning legend Neil Aspin would cope in managing our shambles of a football club but I can see that he and his backroom team sre the men to take us forward already after only a few games.

Some will say it's much too soon but the in my opinion the way he has turned a group of no marks with a couple of exceptions from a squad that couldn't buy a win into a team that can give a team in L1 a good thrashing and believe me it was a thrashing because 4 or 5 nil wouldn't have flattered us.

His tactics have been spot on he has recognised what so few others did that good service and support to our frontman Popey would reap a rich reward and boy was he right.

Further more you can clearly see that the no nonsense approach that he has brought to the club is popular with both the fans and the players and all of those on view are suddenly playing with a spring in their step.

It's true that his interviews aren't delivered inspiringly but if you listen to what he says the guy knows his stuff and I now am looking forward with optimism to see how far 'The Asp' can take us.

SO COME ON MR SMURTHWAITE DO SOMETHING RIGHT AND GIVE THE BLOKE A DECENT LENGTH CONTRACT!

Perhaps it was a mutual agreement to go to the end of season, to see if Neil can settle in the area. Personally I have no problem with the length of deal. Neil is grounded and if he is happy he will stay.

Whatever you think of Smurf hats off to him for (Finally), getting the right management team in place......

My worry is that if Aspin continues with his current win percentage/ratio is that some struggling higher league club may try to get him around early new year time........😣

Perhaps it was a mutual agreement to go to the end of season, to see if Neil can settle in the area. Personally I have no problem with the length of deal. Neil is grounded and if he is happy he will stay.
No I heard that he said the offer was only a short contract which he felt offered little assurance because he had a good contract at Gateshead. He said that he would never forgive himself if he turned down the opportunity to manage the club which is so close to his heart. I also agree with what Sheff 61 says that it protects us if any other club comes trying to lure him away with a better deal.

No I heard that he said the offer was only a short contract which he felt offered little assurance because he had a good contract at Gateshead. He said that he would never forgive himself if he turned down the opportunity to manage the club which is so close to his heart. I also agree with what Sheff 61 says that it protects us if any other club comes trying to lure him away with a better deal.[/QUOT

What we hear doesn't always mean it's true

I think Aspin is intelligent, thoughtful, from where I am sat a good people manager, tactically astute and has a good back room team. There is a lot to suggest a long stint in charge could occur. The ceiling is that a Rudge like rise to Championship level is much harder to fashion today because the monetary gulf is greater to the bigger clubs. Port Vale would need a club transformation for something like that - guess Bournemouth is the model I have in mind, but will they have longevity?

I love Aspo, always have since about half a dozen games into his Vale playing career. I want to stroke him and love him and rub his fur the wrong way (for those of you of a certain vintage). However, I can understand why Abnorman was cautious about giving him a long deal seeing as his track record of choosing managers has been nothing short of hopeless and must have cost a fortune BUT now he's seen the Aspo all Vale fans know and it's obvious what he can do Abnorman should secure Neil's services on a proper length rolling contract.

Sent from my SM-A520F using the onevalefan mobile app

It's a sign things are going well that the football is doing all the talking for the Club. We've not heard a peep out of 'I'm hands on again' Smurf and CG has been pretty quiet too. This all suggests to me that everyone is communicating well and getting on well. I'm sure JR will be oiling wheels while Aspo is doing the job at pitch level.

All of this suggests to me that, when the time is right, Aspo will be offered a new contract which he'll be happy to sign. I think we should let them get on with it and just enjoy the football!

It's a sign things are going well that the football is doing all the talking for the Club. We've not heard a peep out of 'I'm hands on again' Smurf and CG has been pretty quiet too. This all suggests to me that everyone is communicating well and getting on well. I'm sure JR will be oiling wheels while Aspo is doing the job at pitch level.

All of this suggests to me that, when the time is right, Aspo will be offered a new contract which he'll be happy to sign. I think we should let them get on with it and just enjoy the football!

Agreed. Ultimately it works both ways for aspo. If he struggled then it was a risky move to take a short term contract. If he is successful it means that shortly he will have earned a more lucrative contract as he will have made himself indispensable. That scenario works well for aspo and well for us, because it means he will have turned us around. At the end of the day, if a bigger team came in for him one day, then a contract wouldnt keep him here. All it would do is give us a few quid,

I’ve also noticed in recent games that Tom is using his brains instead of brawn.Look at some of his goals.He gives himself space instead of rsing a defender out of the way or trying to get a free kick.That to me suggests he’s now got a decent coach working with him.

Aspo seems quite relaxed about his position,leave it at that OWD.

It's already obvious that Neil Aspin is the manager to take the club forward to a higher league status.

A two or three year contract is needed to tie him up so that if a bigger club should entice him away in the future, the Vale will benefit financially.

Archived