onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Oxford tickets?

melv

ST holder, never used the online service before so I'll let you know :wink: I'm sure it will be fine, & the fact they've put something out there on the site now is good. However, once again there was either incorrect or missing information in relation to obtaining tickets for a game. Doesn't bother me personally, I go to every game regardless, but I understand that for others it may do.

The open and close times at the T.O. have not changed.5pm close M-F unless there’s a midweeker,then 7.45pm.Saturday Close is 3.15pm.

Advert

The open and close times at the T.O. have not changed.5pm close M-F unless there’s a midweeker,then 7.45pm.Saturday Close is 3.15pm.

I thought this thread was about the online service though? Anyhow, ticket office times are irrelevant to me, I do regular working hours so can't get there. If it's an away game, I have to make arrangements (or sometimes they do pay & collect at the turnstiles depending on the club).

Don't think the price (or the fact there is a game) was ever in doubt, they announced that ages ago, it's more the 'how to get tickets' that was the issue. To be honest, I hadn't even planned getting one yet (which is odd for me), but I probably would have queued up. Now I'll be printing mine off before the game tomorrow at work.

Why would anybody not follow your example. Given the choice between queuing and buying online it’s an absolute no brainier.

I agree with most of what you’ve posted Howjy and people are seemingly looking for excuses not to attend in some cases however closing the ticket office and not reopening at the end of games for an hour is crazy and very lazy. If we’ve had a good result it’s certainly going to peak interest with messages on the scoreboard and tannoy if they are both working from the 85th minute onwards.

Personally I dont see the need for priority tickets for a cup game unless you expect a near capacity crowd... from a different perspective isnt the discount on ST prices enough of an incentive to buy one?... I can see an advantage of offering preferential cup tickets to ST holders if we had say 10,000 st holders but that may be disregarded if we drew say liverpool at home and they were bringing 10,000... I doubt ST holders would be able to occupy there usual seats.
There are groups of STs who sit near to each other, some for 20 years odd. Surely you give preference to them so that they can have their usual seats, whether there are 4000 or 14000 home supporters. Away supporters are segregated into the Hamil End, more than 4500 could overspill into the Bycars, police permitting, but only a small number of STs affected there and the small risk is known. The days of 50,000 turning up to pay on the gate are long gone.For a mid-week replay there is always a 10 day or so gap to allow tickets to be issued, if any risk of a large crowd.

I agree with most of what you’ve posted Howjy and people are seemingly looking for excuses not to attend in some cases however closing the ticket office and not reopening at the end of games for an hour is crazy and very lazy. If we’ve had a good result it’s certainly going to peak interest with messages on the scoreboard and tannoy if they are both working from the 85th minute onwards.

Although taking advantage of the "captive" audience is always a good idea its limited... to the captive audience... we need a much wider net casting.

I dont see anyone trying to find an excuse not to attend just some asking why its not made easier to attend... and a few asking is it the correct strategy to only target the people who will probably attend anyway.

Why would anybody not follow your example. Given the choice between queuing and buying online it’s an absolute no brainier.

Because (believe it or not) even in this day & age, there is a large amount of people that still cannot deal with technology. I even have a few friends (just as young as me) who still can't even figure out online banking!

My previous job a year or two back working in a bank branch taught me that. The majority of our customers were people with passbooks, & they just wouldn't let go of them (they were outraged when news came out about them being phased out for cards). There is a big lack of trust in (or willingness to learn about) technology even today, so I understand why some people still want to use cash turnstiles, & face to face methods of payment. This is especially true when it comes to the average age of our fanbase.

I agree with you, it is a no-brainer, but you can't just force change on everybody & expect them all to accept it straight away.

There are groups of STs who sit near to each other, some for 20 years odd. Surely you give preference to them so that they can have their usual seats, whether there are 4000 or 14000 home supporters.

Why?

Away supporters are segregated into the Hamil End, more than 4500 could overspill into the Bycars, police permitting, but only a small number of STs affected there and the small risk is known.

But doesnt the statement above include ALL ST holders? or is it just certain stands that should have priority?

The days of 50,000 turning up to pay on the gate are long gone.For a mid-week replay there is always a 10 day or so gap to allow tickets to be issued, if any risk of a large crowd.

I think cash turnstiles are a dying habit but restricting access by obstacles isnt a step forward... surely.

If you trial anything [cash turnstiles/cheap entrance] you have to give it a trial over a period of more than one game or advertise it well and well in advance to a wider audience than the captives.

Because (believe it or not) even in this day & age, there is a large amount of people that still cannot deal with technology. I even have a few friends (just as young as me) who still can't even figure out online banking!

My previous job a year or two back working in a bank branch taught me that. The majority of our customers were people with passbooks, & they just wouldn't let go of them (they were outraged when news came out about them being phased out for cards). There is a big lack of trust in (or willingness to learn about) technology even today, so I understand why some people still want to use cash turnstiles, & face to face methods of payment. This is especially true when it comes to the average age of our fanbase.

I agree with you, it is a no-brainer, but you can't just force change on everybody & expect them all to accept it straight away.

As an above average age, or senior fan, I agree. But wasn't the main gripe that on-line facilities were not available, which would increase the pressure on the ticket office. As far as I remember STs have never been able to buy their own seats on line, but I cannot see why non-ST reserved seats could not be bought for this game.

Why?

But doesnt the statement above include ALL ST holders? or is it just certain stands that should have priority?

I think cash turnstiles are a dying habit but restricting access by obstacles isnt a step forward... surely.

If you trial anything [cash turnstiles/cheap entrance] you have to give it a trial over a period of more than one game or advertise it well and well in advance to a wider audience than the captives.

Surely a business gives priority to it`s regular supporters who pay an annual fee in advance, part of the enjoyment is meeting up with regulars to exchange banter during the game, and share our woes. The vast majority will be catered for except in an extreme case when the Bycars is open to away fans, I can only remember it happening in the 90s against Wolves. It is not unusual though, it does happen at lots of grounds if the away team are allowed to claim 25% of the capacity. (They know the system when they buy their ST, that they will not be able to sit there for a Cup game.) Usually nowadays a claim that segregation is not possible is sufficient.

I do not think it was a trial, just an expedient to cater for a larger than usual crowd. Should the crowds increase, extra staff would be needed in the ticket office or another ticket office provided at say the Bycars/Lorne St corner.

As an above average age, or senior fan, I agree. But wasn't the main gripe that on-line facilities were not available, which would increase the pressure on the ticket office. As far as I remember STs have never been able to buy their own seats on line, but I cannot see why non-ST reserved seats could not be bought for this game.

Yeah, but the issue with that is that around about the same time the online system was set up, they removed cash turnstiles & made everyone pay at the ticket office. The result of this being that no pressure was even taken off of the ticket office in the end.

They gave one group of fans a better option whilst taking another's away, so the complaints haven't ceased, it's now just different people making them. The introduction of forcing people buy a ticket from the office before the game if they haven't online has caused nothing but chaos in terms of matchday queues IMO. Should be able to buy online & pay cash on the gate, especially as seat reservation does not matter in the slightest for non-ST holders.

Surely a business gives priority to it`s regular supporters who pay an annual fee in advance, part of the enjoyment is meeting up with regulars to exchange banter during the game, and share our woes. The vast majority will be catered for except in an extreme case when the Bycars is open to away fans, I can only remember it happening in the 90s against Wolves. It is not unusual though, it does happen at lots of grounds if the away team are allowed to claim 25% of the capacity. (They know the system when they buy their ST, that they will not be able to sit there for a Cup game.) Usually nowadays a claim that segregation is not possible is sufficient.

I do not think it was a trial, just an expedient to cater for a larger than usual crowd. Should the crowds increase, extra staff would be needed in the ticket office or another ticket office provided at say the Bycars/Lorne St corner.

ST holders get the advantage of reduced prices for league games where they can chose and stick with their preferred seat, cup games are a different kettle of fish and a slightly different product/pitch.

Yeah, but the issue with that is that around about the same time the online system was set up, they removed cash turnstiles & made everyone pay at the ticket office. The result of this being that no pressure was even taken off of the ticket office in the end.

They gave one group of fans a better option whilst taking another's away, so the complaints haven't ceased, it's now just different people making them. The introduction of forcing people buy a ticket from the office before the game if they haven't online has caused nothing but chaos in terms of matchday queues IMO. Should be able to buy online & pay cash on the gate, especially as seat reservation does not matter in the slightest for non-ST holders.

Don't suppose the cash gripe will ever go away, I remember going to Newcastle Utd to watch Vale in the 90s and told at the turnstile to buy a ticket from the ticket office on the other side of St James`s, so nothing new. How can the TO queue be reduced? More sellers in the ticket office or sell tickets in the town, since cash turnstiles seem to be out of fashion in favour of cash in the office?

By far the bigger problem is the promotional side as Toyah alluded too. The ticketing can be got round and although we all like a moan, we will get tickets.

The marketing of the club as demonstrated by the lowest number ever surely of advertising boards, lack of sponsors etc is shocking, even Perry Deakin sold them.

Get that sorted Smurf/Garlick

I agree entirely that this needs sorting, Cav, but I can't blame the existing staff. At the start of the season we had a marking manager, a marketing assistant and a head of media. We now have the marketing assistant doing all three jobs because the other two have left for better paid jobs. This is an unacceptable situation but in this case the problem lies with the chief, not the indians.

Don't suppose the cash gripe will ever go away, I remember going to Newcastle Utd to watch Vale in the 90s and told at the turnstile to buy a ticket from the ticket office on the other side of St James`s, so nothing new. How can the TO queue be reduced? More sellers in the ticket office or sell tickets in the town, since cash turnstiles seem to be out of fashion in favour of cash in the office?

Going a little OT here but pubs should definitely be utilised, with signs telling people if the pub does them. If not a cash turnstile, a fully occupied ticket office, & a member of staff walking the queue to take out a few of the sales (carrying a batch of adult tickets & selling cash only or something, like NS has done himself in the past).

Archived