onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

Robbie Earle's Perm

He was in his 5th season at that point, and whilst he had done well did you actually have any faith we were going to make the playoffs under him? I didn't. Also I thought Foyle put together some decent teams, but was undone with similar issues of tactical ineptitude. I'd be happier if Foyle came back, compared to Horton.

Horton wasn't any cop last time he had the job. He's unlikely to have improved much in the last 13 years. I said in an earlier post that 40% win percentage was a decent criteria to start with before investigating further. Horton's career win % is 33.4% and he's never got over 40% with any of his clubs. He shouldn't even be in consideration for this job. I'm sure he is a legend to people who saw him play (Before my time). But he was a failure as manager last time for us in my opinion.

Hey I'm not disagreeing I just think failure is a bit harsh. I certainly don't want Horton back as manager(I actually find it sad he is even being considered, it's like we have no imagination. He's had his day as a manager imo(some would argue if he ever had one!:laugh:)). There's younger managers with the requisit experience(as well as better records) out there who we should be at least looking at way before him!

Advert

That said we should have made the playoffs at least during 03/04, all those away points we dropped to average sides after being 1-0 up! Sticking Levi Reid at left back for a few games is up there with the worst positional decisions I think I've seen!:ohmy:

I've never forgiven him for playing Marcus Bent on the wing when everyone could see his potential as centre forward. Then selling him to Sheff Utd for £375k and not long after they got £2M for him. :doh:

I think it was Horton who also signed Villjanen??

Alwaysvaleme.... The legend thing is surely everyone's personal choice depending on eras people have watched Vale. Horton was top quality in the 70's .

My personal legend had and always will be Bobby Newton as the 82/3 season was my first taste of promotion and first season I went to away games .

I wouldn't call Andy Porter a legend. A player who gave his all in every game I agree.

Horton was a legend to those who saw him play.

Do I want him as manager ... A resounding NO

Porter was raised to legend status in my eyes with the cracking goal to make it 2-1 against the sjoke that’s all really

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Hey I'm not disagreeing I just think failure is a bit harsh. I certainly don't want Horton back as manager(I actually find it sad he is even being considered, it's like we have no imagination. He's had his day as a manager imo(some would argue if he ever had one!:laugh:)). There's younger managers with the requisit experience(as well as better records) out there who we should be at least looking at way before him!

It may have been harsh, but cruel to be kind and all that. It shows absolutely no imagination and I don't have any faith that our appointment will show any kind of ambition whatsoever, but I hope the club proves me wrong.

Amazingly he still has a better win percentage than any of those in charge of the club at the moment, despite being completely unhinged.

I just cannot understand this obsession with ex-players becoming manager. It didn't work with Foyle, Glover, Grew, Porter so we should move on from the past and look elsewhere to someone with some experience of actually managing a football league club. Since those heady days of the Rudge era, in almost 30 years we have only employed 3 managers with any experience of league football management - Horton, Gannon and Adams. The former won us a trophy, the latter got us promoted. Big Jim, was just Jim, enough said about him. The rest, either had no experience, or were promoted from the assistant role and their record speaks for themselves. I know managers have had external factors to deal with at the club like poor ownership and admin, but we seem to keep following the same formula and are surprised with the same results, the exceptions being those with experience and pedigree.

Those ex player names you mentioned had NO managerial experience when they took charge at Vale,the difference here is we are talking about a manager who has managed for over 600 games and knows how not to lose games....so what other ex players have we had who has had managerial experience?? I can think of Horton and he wasn't really a disaster(i dont want him now)

My thing for Aspin is,he is experienced and whatever level you manage at 600+ games is a lot and he will have come up against teams on a par with the one he is managing,hopefully he can instill his heart and desire for the battle into the players,he will want to succeed at a club he played 10yrs for,he should be able to tap in to non league talent which is where we have lacked for a while,he should also help to galvanise fans as one also and i know stats aren't everything but at every club he has known how not to lose games.......oh and lastly,we can all bring the

ASPIN FOR ENGLAND chant back

Come on Norman you know it makes sense

Please Norman if you are reading this thread then pleeeesseee NOT WESTLEY,HORTON!!

The general consensus on here and Facebook/Twitter is ASPIN!!

You have some bridges to build do the right thing and go get him!!!

I think thats the best post you have come up with over the last few years,totally agree for once

Those ex player names you mentioned had NO managerial experience when they took charge at Vale,the difference here is we are talking about a manager who has managed for over 600 games and knows how not to lose games....so what other ex players have we had who has had managerial experience?? I can think of Horton and he wasn't really a disaster(i dont want him now)

That's the point I was making, we need someone with experience, league football experience and I'd like us to to broaden horizons away from ex-players. I have seen quite a bit of non-league football and have taken in games Harrogate, Halifax and Gateshead with Aspin as manager and all teams were full of big players playing direct football. He does know how to get results because every game I saw they won but it wasn't pretty to watch. I'll welcome and support him if he gets the job and just hope we don't have the name of one of our playing legends sullied again by becoming Vale manager.

Do people agree that, if this appointment is woeful (Horton, Westley, Ince etc) then the fans have every right to protest in the coming games, or will some take the view that the new man 'needs time' and we shouldn't make our displeasure known to Norm?

Do people agree that, if this appointment is woeful (Horton, Westley, Ince etc) then the fans have every right to protest in the coming games, or will some take the view that the new man 'needs time' and we shouldn't make our displeasure known to Norm?

No complaints from me if the appointment is one of those. He can’t afford to get it wrong again.

That's the point I was making, we need someone with experience, league football experience and I'd like us to to broaden horizons away from ex-players. I have seen quite a bit of non-league football and have taken in games Harrogate, Halifax and Gateshead with Aspin as manager and all teams were full of big players playing direct football. He does know how to get results because every game I saw they won but it wasn't pretty to watch. I'll welcome and support him if he gets the job and just hope we don't have the name of one of our playing legends sullied again by becoming Vale manager.

I will happily take that right now especially in this division

Archived