onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Next Manager

Robbie Earle's Perm

I just don’t see Horton has a legend, I’m I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Depends on how you define legend. If Tankard, Goodlad, van der Laan are legends then so is Horton. I wouldn't say his decent spell as manager made him more a legend but I woudn't say it reduced his status either. He was a star player in the 70s.

Advert

Understandably Aspin would have had the backing at Halifax due to them reforming and being 2 or 3 levels below what you'd probably describe as a natural level for them, so they probably had the biggest fanbase in the league for the first 3 seasons. However you've still got to get the job done(i.e. take them up) as there would have been pressure and expectation from the Halifax fans to get them back to at least the Conference. He did that and got them to the playoffs to get in the League but they lost to Cambridge, that's no disgrace looking at it as as outsider. I'd guess the momentum ran out a bit after that which can happen to any manager.

Also it's interesting how no manager has done better than him at Harrogate since he left there despite people saying he had a good budget, it would seem the Conference North is about their level, although I notice they've just gone full time which may help them go a bit further(perhaps Aspin was right in saying that they needed more money to push on!)

Basically what I'm saying is you can dress any managers record up however you like one way or another even if you delve more into it. I'd say Aspins' is pretty steady all things consider however his win percentage is probably swayed a bit by the first 2 or 3 years at Halifax understandable so!

I've heard it a bit the last couple of weeks. People tend to forget with Horton, we actually finished in a lower league position every year under him. His lineups were frequently full of players hopelessly out of position and his post-match interviews were often baffling to the point of making Michael Browns sound like well thought-out statements.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Brian Horton gets the gig. He was not a good manager for Port Vale last time, I doubt he's improved since then. However, all I hope for at the moment is that Graham Westley does not get the job. I consider him a cheat and a thoroughly dislikeable person. He is not worthy of managing us and I'll consider my attendance if he gets it. Anyone else, I'll get behind, but not him.

Great quote that! Thanks I was getting confused why Horton is even being considered totally against it as you say his past for vale is not that great atall

I will support whoever gets in tbh I don’t like Wesley though.

Depends on how you define legend. If Tankard, Goodlad, van der Laan are legends then so is Horton. I wouldn't say his decent spell as manager made him more a legend but I woudn't say it reduced his status either. He was a star player in the 70s.

Legends at vale? Rudgie, Earle, beckford, Andy jones , porter and aspo. Can name some more but the three you mention are further down on my list above Horton.

Everyone to their own of course

I've heard it a bit the last couple of weeks. People tend to forget with Horton, we actually finished in a lower league position every year under him. His lineups were frequently full of players hopelessly out of position and his post-match interviews were often baffling to the point of making Michael Browns sound like well thought-out statements.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Brian Horton gets the gig. He was not a good manager for Port Vale last time, I doubt he's improved since then. However, all I hope for at the moment is that Graham Westley does not get the job. I consider him a cheat and a thoroughly dislikeable person. He is not worthy of managing us and I'll consider my attendance if he gets it. Anyone else, I'll get behind, but not him.

Agree I don't particularly want him either although perhaps slightly harsh on Horton, I think we were definately on for a better finish during the season he left although admittedly he'd probably had a decent budget in the first instance to put that side together. He probably signed the last truly very good players we had for that level(3rd tier). Although I wouldn't class any of them as Vale greats the likes of Brooker, McPhee, Bridge-Wilkinson, Cummins, Paynter, Sam Collins, Pilkington and even Littlejohn look like gods compared to this current crop!:sad:

That said we should have made the playoffs at least during 03/04, all those away points we dropped to average sides after being 1-0 up! Sticking Levi Reid at left back for a few games is up there with the worst positional decisions I think I've seen!:ohmy:

Alwaysvaleme.... The legend thing is surely everyone's personal choice depending on eras people have watched Vale. Horton was top quality in the 70's .

My personal legend had and always will be Bobby Newton as the 82/3 season was my first taste of promotion and first season I went to away games .

I wouldn't call Andy Porter a legend. A player who gave his all in every game I agree.

Horton was a legend to those who saw him play.

Do I want him as manager ... A resounding NO

One of Hortons big mistakes was with Marcus Bent, played him as a winger ! Then sold him for what we paid he then went on to be a several million pound player when he played in the correct position. Defo a manager to fit square pegs in round holes.

Hope it isn't Ince as he wouldn't demean himself by being interviewed by some league two club and any interview would have to be conducted through his agent.little and Horton are in employment,Westley is a conceited arrogant knowall who may appeal to Norman and remember whoever has to appeal to Norman and suitability for the position is secondary.Not forgetting that the salary offered would be considered derisory by some experienced manager which leaves us with a cost effective appointment of someone who no one else will touch with a bargepole.Mixu Patileinian or some such name, that tosser Burge,that tool in india or a lower league manager who has recently been sacked as worse than useless, take yer pick fellers.

Agree I don't particularly want him either although perhaps slightly harsh on Horton, I think we were definately on for a better finish during the season he left although admittedly he'd probably had a decent budget in the first instance to put that side together. He probably signed the last truly very good players we had for that level(3rd tier). Although I wouldn't class any of them as Vale greats the likes of Brooker, McPhee, Bridge-Wilkinson, Cummins, Paynter, Sam Collins, Pilkington and even Littlejohn look like gods compared to this current crop!:sad:

That said we should have made the playoffs at least during 03/04, all those away points we dropped to average sides after being 1-0 up! Sticking Levi Reid at left back for a few games is up there with the worst positional decisions I think I've seen!:ohmy:

He was in his 5th season at that point, and whilst he had done well did you actually have any faith we were going to make the playoffs under him? I didn't. Also I thought Foyle put together some decent teams, but was undone with similar issues of tactical ineptitude. I'd be happier if Foyle came back, compared to Horton.

Horton wasn't any cop last time he had the job. He's unlikely to have improved much in the last 13 years. I said in an earlier post that 40% win percentage was a decent criteria to start with before investigating further. Horton's career win % is 33.4% and he's never got over 40% with any of his clubs. He shouldn't even be in consideration for this job. I'm sure he is a legend to people who saw him play (Before my time). But he was a failure as manager last time for us in my opinion.

One of Hortons big mistakes was with Marcus Bent, played him as a winger ! Then sold him for what we paid he then went on to be a several million pound player when he played in the correct position. Defo a manager to fit square pegs in round holes.

Well yeah, there's that too........

Westley is a conceited arrogant knowall who may appeal to Norman and remember whoever has to appeal to Norman and suitability for the position is secondary.

Can't see it somehow. As soon as they disagreed about something one of them would be out the door - and my guess is it wouldn't be Smurf.

Archived