onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Wycombe Wanderers

Fosse69

Wycombe fan in peace here. Just wanted to come on to say that I was impressed with how friendly the Vale fans and police officers were yesterday. Great club, and a really good ground in comparison to many in this league. A fantastic first experience of Vale Park, although the tannoy was hilariously bad.

As for the game, I thought 3-2 flattered you guys in the extreme, although it was good spirit from your players at the end (the second goal in particular was fantastic), and had us sweating in the away end. We should've been 5 or 6-0 up by then, and about to regret those missed chaces.

Others have commented about Wycombe playing hoofball, but that was the most we've played it along the floor for months yesterday. I expected to lose 2/3-0 before the game, based upon our dire performaces in the last two matches where we've looked shaky in defence and hardly created a chance. That meant I was pleasantly surprised by our start and complete control of the game from then on. Akinfenwa really is a beast, and your defence couldn't deal with him at all, as Lincoln did comfortably last weekend. I thought your best player was the goalkeeper Hornby, who made a lot of good saves to keep the score down, including a stunner from a free kick.

Best of luck for the rest of the season (apart from at Adams Park). I have good memories of you getting promoted at AP a few years ago actually, so maybe you'll be in a similar situation then.

Advert

Can we drop Hornby against Chesterfield and just have 11 outfield players

I can't see it making much difference to the opposition whether he's stood in goal or not really.

giphy.gif

How was Hornby at fault for that goal it was a great header into the far corner. Where was the defending from the set piece?

Telling as I saw it Owd.Different game when Turner and Whitfield came on.We needed more pace.Tom will do a decent job away from home.
Turner should play with Popey and there is plenty of room for Whitfield because the two wingers that we started with look as if they are pinching a living.

Turner should play with Popey and there is plenty of room for Whitfield because the two wingers that we started with look as if they are pinching a living.

After watching one game(assuming you didn't go the away games,if you did then apologies) to say our two wingers are pinching a living is a bit silly tbh,Montano to me doesn't look fit and considering his stop start career with us thats not surprising and Harness didn't do anything to show he was pinching a living,i do think though that Whitfield should replace Montano on Saturday

How was Hornby at fault for that goal it was a great header into the far corner. Where was the defending from the set piece?

Positioning.... he is two steps to far to the right which is why he couldn't cover the goal. A more experienced keeper would have come and clattered everyone to punch the ball away from danger given it was a freekick launched in the air from just inside their own half.

Shades of Fasan from last season.

Yet Pope has been shown up already by Forrester and Pyke

Watch Old Sage come on here and defend him AGAIN. Vale should NOT have brought Pope but invested in a creative midfielderr

If that first comment was mean't to be serious then I fear for you. Pyke was absolutely clueless and most of those under 35 in the paddock could have done as well as he did. On the subject of Forrester well the only thing he is showing us is the way to the treatment room.

When Popey was brought back then the next signing should have been a decent wideman because Popey will only perform with the right service and hoofing it up 50 years to him with two giants up his rear end is hardly a decent service. Give him service and he will score goals if not the lad will struggle but it isn't his fault if that is the case.

How was Hornby at fault for that goal it was a great header into the far corner t Where was the defending from the set piece?

The fact that he fell over with his arms pointing down towards the ground to break his fall. Watch his legs as he goes over, he didn't jump he's bloody flapping.

There are more skilful displays on show on Wolstanton Marsh on Sunday mornings.

If that first comment was mean't to be serious then I fear for you. Pyke was absolutely clueless and most of those under 35 in the paddock could have done as well as he did. On the subject of Forrester well the only thing he is showing us is the way to the treatment room.

When Popey was brought back then the next signing should have been a decent wideman because Popey will only perform with the right service and hoofing it up 50 years to him with two giants up his rear end is hardly a decent service. Give him service and he will score goals if not the lad will struggle but it isn't his fault if that is the case.

It's one excuse after the other. Why does he look unfit? Is that because we have no winger? I thought Montano was a winger?

I'm not the only one to pass comment Popey needs to get fit he is third in the pecking order. And on your last comment about service...good striker's MAKE their own luck...look what Whitfield did in the last minute...was that because of having good service or just a little bit of individual fitness and skill...my question to you is...could Popey have done that??:huh:

After watching one game(assuming you didn't go the away games,if you did then apologies) to say our two wingers are pinching a living is a bit silly tbh,Montano to me doesn't look fit and considering his stop start career with us thats not surprising and Harness didn't do anything to show he was pinching a living,i do think though that Whitfield should replace Montano on Saturday
If Montano isn't fit then it is the manager's fault that he was playing. In regard to Harness you said it'He didn't do anything to show he is pinching a living' No he didn't do anything to make me think otherwise.

The truth is as long as we can only pay peanuts for players we will never get anything other than cast offs.

Brown doesn't help himself by signing four keepers for instance. Why did he not use this cash to bring in a good keeper with one other as cover.

The manager has got pick only fit players and to make his mind up who are the best players and try and stick to that side and let the subs who come on show why they should be in the team. All of this constant chopping and changing is a sick joke.

It's one excuse after the other. Why does he look unfit? Is that because we have no winger? I thought Montano was a winger?

I'm not the only one to pass comment Popey needs to get fit he is third in the pecking order. And on your last comment about service...good striker's MAKE their own luck...look what Whitfield did in the last minute...was that because of having good service or just a little bit of individual fitness and skill...my question to you is...could Popey have done that??:huh:

Tom Pope has never been blessed with pace and no he couldn't of done what Whitfield did but put the ball on his head in front of goal and we have had no one who is equal for years.

All of this he looked unfit is total rubbish he certain doesn't look overweight to me and ran his socks off for little reward. I didn't notice Akenfenwa running much but Wycombe played to his strengths and Tom has proved his ability in the air so it is criminal that I should need to defend the lad. Remember the song 'Feed the Pope and he will score'. Can any of you 'doubting Thomases' pardon the pun say he is getting anything like a decent service?

When he was in his pomp in our promotion season he said in an interview that he wasn't a player who could run 50 yards beating defenders on a mazy run but if he gets the service he will do his best to get on the end of them. That still applies players with good aerial ability can and do go on well into their thirties. I'm sure that Tom can do likewise and with the right service will once again be amongst the goals on a regular basis.

So please get off the lad's back as he already has at least two opposition players on it. One thing is for sure he will give 100% for his club in every game.

Tom Pope has never been blessed with pace and no he couldn't of done what Whitfield did but put the ball on his head in front of goal and we have had no who is equal for years.

All of this he looked unfit is total rubbish he certain doesn't look overweight and ran his socks off for little reward. I didn't notice Akenfenwa running much but Wycombe played to his strengths and Tom has proved his ability in the air so it is criminal that I should need to defend the lad. Remember the song 'Feed the Pope and he will score'. Can any of you 'doubting Thomases' pardon the pun say he is getting anything like a decent service?

When he was in his pomp in our promotion season he said in an interview that he wasn't a player who could run 50 yards beating defenders on a mazy run but if he gets the service he will do his best to get on the end of them. That still applies players with good aerial ability can and do go on well into their thirties. I'm sure that Tom can do likewise and with the right service will once again be amongst the goals on a regular basis.

So please get off the lad's back as he already has at least two opposition players on it. One thing is for sure he will give 100% for his club in every game.

Every player is subject to criticism that's part and parcel of being a Pro Footballer. I and others are subject to criticism in our 'normal' jobs it doesn't mean anything personal its part and parcel of being a pro footballer.

If you don't like Pope getting any criticism that's the equivalent of not getting on a young lads back when he plays ladsanddad.

This isn't ladsanddads. If Pope scores 30 goals this season I would be well pleased...but we both know it will not happen

As for the comments about Vale being restricted to not having money to buy midfielders Plenty of young footballers out there that could leave Non League and take a game on at this level...they just need a chance Vale don't need bags of money...the scouting network isn't working the way it should

If Montano isn't fit then it is the manager's fault that he was playing. In regard to Harness you said it'He didn't do anything to show he is pinching a living' No he didn't do anything to make me think otherwise.

The truth is as long as we can only pay peanuts for players we will never get anything other than cast offs.

Brown doesn't help himself by signing four keepers for instance. Why did he not use this cash to bring in a good keeper with one other as cover.

The manager has got pick only fit players and to make his mind up who are the best players and try and stick to that side and let the subs who come on show why they should be in the team. All of this constant chopping and changing is a sick joke.

We haven't got 'cast offs' quite a few of these players should be more than capable at this level!

You must have a short memory as I posted after last weeks win.I don't run and hide after a win but try to give fair assessment of how I saw the match.Last week you were asking where erniemossrule moss was after the win and I responded to your comments.I can't understand (along with many other fans)why you Brown happy clappers still support a clueless manager who led us to relegation last year.He even said himself he is still learning yesterday but how long will it take him.Why are we getting so many injuries which has continued from last season.He doesn't seem to believe in tactics that are going to win games.Notice the difference yesterday how Gareth Ainsworth working with peanuts out thought and out played his team.We are in a worse state now than when Jim Gannon was Manager but I suppose you thought he was Gods gift as well.

Actually I thought Gannon is the worse manager in Vales history. I gave a fair assessment of yesterdays game in my earlier post, we were rubbish for 85 minutes AS I POSTED. As ive told you many many times, iam prepared to give Brown (who may turn out to be good or turn out to be rubbish ) a chance, YOU ARE NOT. EVERY team has injured players ,and the fact you blame all the injuries on Brown because hes a fitness fanatic is comical ,Knopps injured because his boss is a fitness fanatic. YOU don't half spout drivel. Do you know that Wycombes budget is peanuts, or is that a hopeful assumption ? Gareth Ainsworth may be a good manager,but how long has he been at the club, building his team over the years, hasn't built it in two games. Ive no doubt you will continue to post your ANTI VALE posts. I would even offer to buy your season ticket off you, and GIVE it to a true VALE supporter. VTID

Archived