onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What the BBC pays its 'stars'

JOHNNYAITCH

Anyone is replaceable! What is good for some is not for others and the reality is that the higher rated stars get paid more. Its just the way it works!

And don't forget that when MOTD did sod off to ITV it was complete ***** and ratings did fall. MOTD is on the whole a good quality programme and whilst you could argue that some presenters on any show are better than others, its just a personal perception.

Advert

[quote=Bea Smith;750540

'I watch sky' - hilarious - its like someone wearing a badge saying 'I go fly tipping and eat at KFC every day'

so how the f ock is watching skysports 'like someone wearing a badge saying 'I go fly tipping and eat at KFC''.

it's nothing like. it's like saying 'I like football and by subscribing to sky I can watch football'.

live and learn my red fascist chum.

Anyone is replaceable! What is good for some is not for others and the reality is that the higher rated stars get paid more. Its just the way it works!

perhaps i should have said easily replaceable. No one is saying that someone should not be paid more than someone else..it's a question of how much more

And don't forget that when MOTD did sod off to ITV it was complete ***** and ratings did fall.

Many reasons for that, the time of day they showed it, the tactics bus thing and so on

MOTD is on the whole a good quality programme and whilst you could argue that some presenters on any show are better than others, its just a personal perception.

Not saying it isn't good and not saying Gary Lineker doesn't do a good job..I'm struggling with the justification for paying him so much to do it

When I was young there were two tv channels, BBC 1 and ITV. That rose to three in 1964 when BBC2 arrived. Moreover these channels had no day time broadcasts except test match cricket on BBC1 in the summer. They started to broadcast after school, so to speak.

This vast array of choice today is fantastic and the BBC in my view has a lot of excellent aspects including radio as well. It is all change I guess as the Internet opens up ever wider choice that traditional platforms have to respond to or embrace themselves.

On pay the BBC has some excellent talent and generally pays fairly for it. I feel there could be more higher earning women but the split of high earners at 2/3 men, 1/3 women is within the bounds of reasonableness. I often feel that feminists view women who prioritise family and children and the associated social life above work as being discriminated against when they are not. They have just made that choice and this distorts the inter sex stats.

Of course it is difficult to split this out from genuinely concerning discrimination. It is also obvious that if a women chooses or gets into a single parent situation they are taking on a great deal of pressure in their mandalas / life worlds. It is difficult to max success, however that is measured, in both. There are masses of women round the UK working in satisficing jobs through choice or need.

There are women on the same show doing the same job as men and not getting anywhere near the same. Nothing to do with having a family.

There are women on the same show doing the same job as men and not getting anywhere near the same. Nothing to do with having a family.

Women should get the same money for presenting a programme as men, my problem is with the figures quoted for doing the job in the first place,no way on this earth does Linekar deserve that amount, somebody equally as good could do it for a fraction of the price, the same for Alex Jones on the One Show,a ludicrous salary and totally out of proportion to the rest of the working population.

Women should get the same money for presenting a programme as men, my problem is with the figures quoted for doing the job in the first place,no way on this earth does Linekar deserve that amount, somebody equally as good could do it for a fraction of the price, the same for Alex Jones on the One Show,a ludicrous salary and totally out of proportion to the rest of the working population.

Apart from the 'rest of the working population bit' which I think is irrelevant I totally agree..

Which ones?

I had a quick view the other day and it all seemed quite comparable to me.

Well Victoria Derbyshire gets paid a lot less than George Alagiah for example

But really it's difficult to make a like for like comparison as for example you have Breakfast host Louise Minchin paid a lot less than co host Dan Walker but he also hosts other programs when she doesn't

For me it's really more how come all the top paid jobs are held by men rather than a like for like comparison

While the focus is on the big star salaries, I'd quite like to know how much the ones behind the camera are getting and what the gender difference is.

My guess is the salaries are even bigger and so is the gap.

Are you referring to the senior management at the BBC?

That's been available for a number of years:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/managementstructure/biographies/

Well Victoria Derbyshire gets paid a lot less than George Alagiah for example

But really it's difficult to make a like for like comparison as for example you have Breakfast host Louise Minchin paid a lot less than co host Dan Walker but he also hosts other programs when she doesn't

For me it's really more how come all the top paid jobs are held by men rather than a like for like comparison

George Alagiah is older, more experienced and has held his roles a lot longer at the BBC.

Dan Walker confirmed he gets paid exactly the same as the other breakfast presenters, his salary is increased as you point out because he does the sporting programs too.

I just don't see a gender gap there.

In fact the evidence shows that women are getting paid exactly the same as men when they are doing very similar jobs. It is actually against the law to pay them differently...

George Alagiah is older, more experienced and has held his roles a lot longer at the BBC.

So..you can't pay someone more on the basis of age just as you can't pay them less..if he's progressed thru the ranks and she has yet to get to that level then fair enough. We've seen nothing regarding job grades and related salaries

I agree in that case

In fact the evidence shows that women are getting paid exactly the same as men when they are doing very similar jobs. It is actually against the law to pay them differently...

indeed it is but it's possible to subtlely change job descriptions to justify pay differences. What the BBC should do is publish it's employment grades and the pay grades within them to show that people doing a similar job are in the same grade and are paid appropriately to their grade.

As I said, the issue for me is not necessarily pay but position..seems the majority of the top jobs (amongst executives too) are held by men..and it's a big majority

I'd like to see what these earners get per hour.For Gary Lineker to get more than Sue Barker,Gabby Logan and Clare Balding combined is a complete joke.

They aren't paid at an hourly rate although it might be interesting to see if they are contracted to work a number of hours per week/month/whatever..I doubt it...no more than a footballer is.

Dan Walker confirmed he gets paid exactly the same as the other breakfast presenters, his salary is increased as you point out because he does the sporting programs too.

Well I cant say I'm shocked. It sounds that you dont believe that there is no pay gap anywhere becasue its against the law. Which goes against literally all the evidence available to us.

What about Clare balding and Gary lineker?

Archived