onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lake District

Howjy04

Worst I've visited was that bl00dy castle at Mow Cop......no roof, half the walls have collapsed and they expect you to walk up that hill to see it!?!?!?! Get that builder chap in..Tommy Walsh..he'd sort it.

It's a folly, not a castle.I presume it was put there for the owners of Great Moreton Hall, as that's the only house around there big enough to warrant such an extravagant addition to the sky-line

Advert

It's a folly, not a castle.I presume it was put there for the owners of Great Moreton Hall, as that's the only house around there big enough to warrant such an extravagant addition to the sky-line

It's certainly a folly as in a costly and foolish undertaking; unwise investment or expenditure. Could have jujst put up a nice summer house from B&Q or something

Also with that bridge place, why go to the bother of putting arches in it when the boats could simply go around the side of it ? No doubt that money came out of the E.U. purse. I'm personally glad we're out of that Euro thing. If that is what I don't pay my taxes for, I for one say good riddance to De Gaulle and Plastic Bertrand and Jeurs Sans Frontiers and that German 80's bird with the hairy armpits. 99 bloody red balloons my a**e.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

What's worse about the bridge at Avignon (and I've not been there but my friend Nigel has) is that there is nothing on the other side of the river for it to take you to and there is a perfectly good road bridge right next to it..so why did they start building the unfinished one?

What with that and that unfinished cathedral (monstrosity that it is) in Barcelona the EU clearly has soooo much money to fritter away no wonder we can't fund the NHS nor pay Tess Daly as much as what's her name for Strictly.....

I come from Mow Cop and it's been like

that since I was a lad. Probably some problem with those NIMBY's or Green Belt people. Went on holiday last year to Yorkshire and same with Fountains Abbey. Although someone did tell me it was to do with the economic downturn or Brexit or something. Either way, it needs sorting.

Mow Cop's tourism people want sacking,,an unfinished caste, the legendary Mow Cop Wallabies which no one has ever seen (I mean if you're going to make something like that up you might as well go for a monster or an elephant), you can see 7 counties but not one of them is Surrey and it's amazing vistas and a view of some telescope thingy that's nowhere near as realistic as the ones that you see in films.

Mow Cop's tourism people want sacking,,an unfinished caste, the legendary Mow Cop Wallabies which no one has ever seen (I mean if you're going to make something like that up you might as well go for a monster or an elephant), you can see 7 counties but not one of them is Surrey and it's amazing vistas and a view of some telescope thingy that's nowhere near as realistic as the ones that you see in films.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Now if you can see 7 different counties, how come that pub isn't called the Seven Counties View ? No, just the plain old singular Cheshire View. I think they think I'm stupid. I was in there last summer looking out the window and I asked the bloke behind the bar how far you could see from his pub. " 93 million miles " came hus answer. I said " you what ? " and he said " see that big orange thing in the sky, 93 million miles away that is " Now I know he was lying ' cus it was a cloudy day and you couldn't see anything orange. Or red or blue for that matter. Yeah, think I'm stupid they do.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Now if you can see 7 different counties, how come that pub isn't called the Seven Counties View ? No, just the plain old singular Cheshire View. I think they think I'm stupid. I was in there last summer looking out the window and I asked the bloke behind the bar how far you could see from his pub. " 93 million miles " came hus answer. I said " you what ? " and he said " see that big orange thing in the sky, 93 million miles away that is " Now I know he was lying ' cus it was a cloudy day and you couldn't see anything orange. Or red or blue for that matter. Yeah, think I'm stupid they do.

Ask him at night and he'll give you a completely different answer..the lying toad.

And maybe the people who own Leeds Castle can finally own up that the thing is nowhere near to Leeds. I mean the one castle that is actually finished and they built it in the wrong place...cowboys.

I always understood Mow Cop castle was something to do with the formation of the Methodist church/ religion.

I always understood Mow Cop castle was something to do with the formation of the Methodist church/ religion.

Hugh Bourne and William Clowes used the surroundings of Mow Cop Castle (built c1750s) as a meeting place for their Primitive Methodism Meetings (c1800s), with the 1st chapel built nearby c1840.

Hugh Bourne was a local man and lived between Ash Bank and Upper Hulme nr Werrington. One of our neighbours was a follower of Primitive Methodism i.e. back to basics Methodism, lived a very frugal lifestyle and was always pleased to share the history of it all.

Hugh Bourne and William Clowes used the surroundings of Mow Cop Castle (built c1750s) as a meeting place for their Primitive Methodism Meetings (c1800s), with the 1st chapel built nearby c1840.

Hugh Bourne was a local man and lived between Ash Bank and Upper Hulme nr Werrington. One of our neighbours was a follower of Primitive Methodism i.e. back to basics Methodism, lived a very frugal lifestyle and was always pleased to share the history of it all.

Thanks Barry, I knew there was a connection between the castle and the Methodist church.

I was at the nearby donkey sanctuary today...inspiring place and they have given it a much needed and really well done make over. They do excellent work there and it has great walks to Weston beach to boot.

If you are into your animal welfare and ever in East Devon you could do a lot worse than pay it a visit

Archived