onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Burslem FC

Iron Curtain

My unfortunate belief is that the club as it stands is slipping into oblivion under the stewardship of Mr Smurthwaite.

The only resolution would be for him to sell the club for a reasonable amount to someone who has a long term plan and an ability to reinvigorate the club.

Unfortunately, I also believe that Mr Smurtbwaites ego will stop that from happening.

I have been accused recently of lacking passion and fight because I'm questioning the current situation and not supporting the club unconditionally. Putting aside the fact that that is a) not true and b) a strange accusation given the fact that my view is born from a burning care for the Vale.

For those out there that understand that, I would like to know people's opinions on whether a new club, started from scratch, like FC united would be an option for them?

The reason I ask is because Mr Smurthwaite holds in his hands something we care about. And whatever happens from here on in will be a negotiation of sorts.

My belief is that Mr Smurthwaite believes that he has the upper hand because we won't let the vale fail. And that that will lead to him holding the club to ransom and trying to extract too much value out of the sale of the club (his valuation alone scares me as I consider wether he can run a sale process that works for the club)

If he knows that we are willing to walk away and start afresh, to rebuild the club we love from the bottom ... then and only then will he realise that there is a REAL chance of him being left with nothing other than an old crumbling stadium.

That is of course depending on us being willing to start again and fight that fight.

So I ask the question... would people be adverse to rebuilding?

Advert

My unfortunate belief is that the club as it stands is slipping into oblivion under the stewardship of Mr Smurthwaite.

The only resolution would be for him to sell the club for a reasonable amount to someone who has a long term plan and an ability to reinvigorate the club.

Unfortunately, I also believe that Mr Smurtbwaites ego will stop that from happening.

I have been accused recently of lacking passion and fight because I'm questioning the current situation and not supporting the club unconditionally. Putting aside the fact that that is a) not true and b) a strange accusation given the fact that my view is born from a burning care for the Vale.

For those out there that understand that, I would like to know people's opinions on whether a new club, started from scratch, like FC united would be an option for them?

The reason I ask is because Mr Smurthwaite holds in his hands something we care about. And whatever happens from here on in will be a negotiation of sorts.

My belief is that Mr Smurthwaite believes that he has the upper hand because we won't let the vale fail. And that that will lead to him holding the club to ransom and trying to extract too much value out of the sale of the club (his valuation alone scares me as I consider wether he can run a sale process that works for the club)

If he knows that we are willing to walk away and start afresh, to rebuild the club we love from the bottom ... then and only then will he realise that there is a REAL chance of him being left with nothing other than an old crumbling stadium.

That is of course depending on us being willing to start again and fight that fight.

So I ask the question... would people be adverse to rebuilding?

I think that decision will out of our hands,I'm not duly worried about relegation God knows I've seen enough, but this time its different, the squad will be decimated and I wouldn't trust Smurthwaite to get sorted in the summer.

His valuation of the club is laughable,and that will be the downfall,I can see a winding up coming I really can, and if that happens Smurthwaite wont be drinking in the Old Crowne any time soon.

Cloud cuckoo land, if no one can afford to buy " but bag out " how the hell can it be started from scratch?

Im assuming that:

a) the cost of starting a non league team such as FC united is far cheaper than Mr Smurthwaites demands for the club

b) certain parties who have been told unceremoniously to "go away" by our trump like chairman would be willing to join the grass roots revolution.

I may be wrong of course. But it's worth asking the question.

Im assuming that:

a) the cost of starting a non league team such as FC united is far cheaper than Mr Smurthwaites demands for the club

Where would this Burslem FC team play their games?Who would pay for the new stadium? Those are costs before you even start getting players in.

Where would this Burslem FC team play their games?Who would pay for the new stadium? Those are costs before you even start getting players in.

I don't know the answers to all these very fair questions. But they feel answerable... ground share with a non league local partner maybe?

Let me ask the question another if ... IF mr Smurthwaite sends the club to ruin... who will we support then? Surely a reincarnation of the vale is preferable over other options?

What a daft thread.

Boy o boy I hope you are right and we never have to think about this seriously!

Just to check you think Mr Smurthwaite is leading us into a glorious future so you? Happy with the decisions? Think he will invest appropriately in the squad next year? Think he will manage to hold on to our talent with appropriate contract offers? Think he will make the right, sensible decision on the manager? Think he will make the right call on season ticket prices? Think he will fix the dwindling crowds? I could go on...

In short, do you think the Vale is in safe hands?

Because if you don't, this isn't such a daft thread after all.

And if you do, then sir, I'm afraid it's your opinion that is daft.

As a 50 year old bloke of 45 years support i have no wish to do a Hereford and wait till i'm 60 before seeing League football again, the thread is reasonable assumption of worrying times but i do feel we will still exist as a League club albeit one dying on its' feet.

Boy o boy I hope you are right and we never have to think about this seriously!

Just to check you think Mr Smurthwaite is leading us into a glorious future so you? Happy with the decisions? Think he will invest appropriately in the squad next year? Think he will manage to hold on to our talent with appropriate contract offers? Think he will make the right, sensible decision on the manager? Think he will make the right call on season ticket prices? Think he will fix the dwindling crowds? I could go on...

In short, do you think the Vale is in safe hands?

Because if you don't, this isn't such a daft thread after all.

And if you do, then sir, I'm afraid it's your opinion that is daft.

I'm too tired after last night & don't have it in me to argue, but I will say that if football fans started up new clubs every time they didn't agree with the direction the club was being taken in by its owner, there'd be brand new non-league teams all over the place.

No, I don't believe we're going to have a glorious future, & no, I don't think we're in safe hands, but when we're in the middle of a relegation battle with a chance of surviving (yes, I do believe we're not out of it yet), threads despairing like this after every loss are not what we need (see FC Port Vale thread after the Bradford game).

Way too early to be thinking about anything like this, such a topic right now to me is a bit too dramatic, & does nothing but divide support & cause arguments. The chances of it happening are next to none anyway, at least for a number of years, as we would be still be supported into non-league by quite a few people.

Keep Burslem out the name, it's a shithole. If it happened, FC Port Vale would suffice.

Also I wonder if Robbie knows what is happening to his club with this cretin in charge. I assume his dad is a Vale fan? I'd go for Robbie as chairman although can't see it happening anytime soon with his American wife wearing the trousers now.

I'm too tired after last night & don't have it in me to argue, but I will say that if football fans started up new clubs every time they didn't agree with the direction the club was being taken in by its owner, there'd be brand new non-league teams all over the place.

No, I don't believe we're going to have a glorious future, & no, I don't think we're in safe hands, but when we're in the middle of a relegation battle with a chance of surviving (yes, I do believe we're not out of it yet), threads despairing like this after every loss are not what we need (see FC Port Vale thread after the Bradford game).

Way too early to be thinking about anything like this, such a topic right now to me is a bit too dramatic, & does nothing but divide support & cause arguments. The chances of it happening are next to none anyway, at least for a number of years, as we would be still be supported into non-league by quite a few people.

Fair and acknowledged.

All I would say is that people are way too short term focused on this relegation battle. Yes its important, but under the current stewardship winning this battle (as I truly hope we will) will only be a minor reprieve.

The bloke running our club is getting away with murder at the moment, and he shouldn't be allowed to sit back and be comfortable because he has put us in a relegation battle.

Archived