onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Burslem FC

Iron Curtain

It's the stupidest thread I've ever read on this site. If only people could use their efforts productively instead of churning hypothetical, knee jerk reaction doom and gloom

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Two questions if I may.

1. How do you suggest the people who are genuinely concerned for our future use our efforts "more constructively"

2. Do you believe Mr Smurthwaite is the right man to take us forward?

Advert

I think that these threads don't pop up after we win.

Not sure what you are talking about one more win for.

I was pointing out that your ridiculing of a "negative thread" that has the clubs best interests at heart as being a simple moan because we had lost a game, was as ridiculous as saying one more win will fix the season.

So no, it wasn't the loss that caused the thread, or the concern... Its the abject failings of the man who is ruining the club that you claim to love so much.

Myself and a great many others are genuinely concerned not for the short term (relegation has happened before and it may happen again), but for the actual long term sustainability of the club.

And for that concern to be brushed aside as mearly a reaction to a loss was both wrong and a little daft.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Two questions if I may.

1. How do you suggest the people who are genuinely concerned for our future use our efforts "more constructively"

2. Do you believe Mr Smurthwaite is the right man to take us forward?

1. The firs thing is to stop scare mongering, we're far form the worse off league club. The whole let's restart the club was a la mode 20 years ago.

Also you do relaise if we all just get behind a bunch of 12 year olds having a kick about and start calling them some daft derivative of our name or some lame throw back to a previous one, that doesn't make a club.

Lastly on this point, grow a ******* spine. As if you just give up on something because it's not going to plan? Woeful attitude.

2. No but he's got more of a plan than you have.

1. The firs thing is to stop scare mongering, we're far form the worse off league club. The whole let's restart the club was a la mode 20 years ago.

Also you do relaise if we all just get behind a bunch of 12 year olds having a kick about and start calling them some daft derivative of our name or some lame throw back to a previous one, that doesn't make a club.

Lastly on this point, grow a ******* spine. As if you just give up on something because it's not going to plan? Woeful attitude.

Oh he's got a plan alright,I can see it unfolding before my eyes every match.

So because we are not the worst I have to accept what Mr Smurthwaite is doing to the club?

Oh its OK your honor, I mean the defendant did steal my car, but he stole my Neighbour's car AND motorbike, so I wont complain. I will just let him keep doing it as long as someone else is worse off.

This notion of "giving up" is both laughable and a little offensive. One might suggest that you are the one giving up. Accepting the slow deterioration of the club.

Trust me, I crave survival this year, I hurt when the vale lose, The club has been part of my family for generations. This is far from people giving up, its us actually standing up to the guys who has single handedly sent the club into a death spiral.

Fundamentally, our opinions differ (and there is really no need to swear)

I believe that the club is not just facing a short term challenge under Mr Smurthwaite, rather a long term fundamental problem that I believe threatens the existence of the club as a league entity.

You don't believe that, which is your right. And believe me I TRUELY hope you are right.

The biggest difference is that you are focusing on the short term and accusing people of 'giving up the fight'. My counter view is that this relegation battle (won or lost) means absolutely nothing in the long term if Mr Smurthwaite stays involved.

So because we are not the worst I have to accept what Mr Smurthwaite is doing to the club?

Oh its OK your honor, I mean the defendant did steal my car, but he stole my Neighbour's car AND motorbike, so I wont complain. I will just let him keep doing it as long as someone else is worse off.

This notion of "giving up" is both laughable and a little offensive. One might suggest that you are the one giving up. Accepting the slow deterioration of the club.

Trust me, I crave survival this year, I hurt when the vale lose, The club has been part of my family for generations. This is far from people giving up, its us actually standing up to the guys who has single handedly sent the club into a death spiral.

I believe that the club is not just facing a short term challenge under Mr Smurthwaite, rather a long term fundamental problem that I believe threatens the existence of the club as a league entity.

You don't believe that, which is your right. And believe me I TRUELY hope you are right.

The biggest difference is that you are focusing on the short term and accusing people of 'giving up the fight'. My counter view is that this relegation battle (won or lost) means absolutely nothing in the long term if Mr Smurthwaite stays involved.

Mixed feelings about your thread and posts - I do agree Smurf is a major worry for the future of the club, but planning to form a new club is not really going to help in my opinion.

But firstly I have to say I really don't think you deserve the level of abuse and are entitled to have an opinion - even if I disagree with it this time.

The major thing that I disagree with is any name change. Port Vale is a unique name in English football, the only one without a place name and Burslem is not necessarily where even the majority of support comes from, not talking about myself here either.

No name change please, I and many others could never think of it as the same club or support it in any way, and I really do think if it ever came to there being a Burslem FC or even Burslem Vale, then you'd get a new Port Vale AFC or similar formed. Can it get any madder ?

Just for now, my feeling is that all effort should go to supporting MB and the team as they need it badly, but that doesn't mean supporting the chairman.

However, anything else to do with the chairman can wait now we are just a few weeks away from the end of the season, we don't need any more upet before May, then all hell can be let loose if necessary.

We certainly don't need any protests, starving out or coffins to interfere with the relegation battle - let alone spinoff clubs with horrible renaming - if necessary, argue about it later.

UTV

You and a number of others are making far far more of the situation than is actually the case. The ridiculous, OTT panic is laughable; I'd stick to conspiracies about JFK or the moon landing, they're more plausible than some of the tripe I read on this site

Mixed feelings about your thread and posts - I do agree Smurf is a major worry for the future of the club, but planning to form a new club is not really going to help in my opinion.

But firstly I have to say I really don't think you deserve the level of abuse and are entitled to have an opinion - even if I disagree with it this time.

The major thing that I disagree with is any name change. Port Vale is a unique name in English football, the only one without a place name and Burslem is not necessarily where even the majority of support comes from, not talking about myself here either.

No name change please, I and many others could never think of it as the same club or support it in any way, and I really do think if it ever came to there being a Burslem FC or even Burslem Vale, then you'd get a new Port Vale AFC or similar formed. Can it get any madder ?

Just for now, my feeling is that all effort should go to supporting MB and the team as they need it badly, but that doesn't mean supporting the chairman.

However, anything else to do with the chairman can wait now we are just a few weeks away from the end of the season, we don't need any more upet before May, then all hell can be let loose if necessary.

We certainly don't need any protests, starving out or coffins to interfere with the relegation battle - let alone spinoff clubs with horrible renaming - if necessary, argue about it later.

UTV

Fair points well made... and yes I agree that this discussion is probably better off had at the end of the season.

But they do need to be had.

The main aim of my thread was to actually understands peoples view on this, which are always interesting to get.

UTV

Good post,the trouble is d@p some folk interpret support for the team and positivity as support for Smurf.

Negative threads like this are intended to bring down our club and are started by so-called Vale fans with that in mind.

They must be outsiders to even think about it?

Fair points well made... and yes I agree that this discussion is probably better off had at the end of the season.

But they do need to be had.

The main aim of my thread was to actually understands peoples view on this, which are always interesting to get.

Of course it was.

Good post,the trouble is d@p some folk interpret support for the team and positivity as support for Smurf.

Negative threads like this are intended to bring down our club and are started by so-called Vale fans with that in mind.

I don't know Iron Curtain, but the feeling I get from his thread and posts is that he means well, and I would guess he is not an outsider. Trouble with the internet and forums is that things don't come across as well, I don't mean that to sound patronising to him.

I don't see it as a negative thread, or intended to bring down the club and as I said earlier, it certainly doesn't warrant the abuse it got.

I do think it is not timely though - and is borne from the frustration we are all feeling that we are all feeling as this relegation rollercoaster jolts our moods. Has a season ever felt longer than this one ?

So I'd say cut Iron Curtain some slack - he is entitled to an opinion like anyone else on here - but my own feeling is that it would be a very bad move, distract from the relegation fight and as I said, the renaming really would see me and some others fight hard against it.

Time to put Port Vale unconditionally first for a few weeks - board and chairman politics being played, protests, club naming, retained lists, inquests on Portuguese men of war, budgets and new manager proposals and all the other stuff is for Mayday and beyond. UTV

I wouldn't worry, Iron Curtains OP wondering what peoples thoughts were wont bring the club down, BUT I tell what will bring the club down and its Smurf and his band of Smurfettes who simply refuse to see the bigger picture, in my opinion it will unfold in the summer when no one is around, Smurthwaite will pull a stunt, lazing in the sun in Portugal well oiled in red wine just watch his master plan.........That's if we get that far.

Are you questioning how much of a Vale fan I am?

I will give you some advice, any answer other than "no" or choosing to ignore that question may make you look very stupid.

You may disagree with my view of the future of the club, and the level of threat placed upon it by Mr Smurthwaite's tenure, but reducing your argument to throw away comments like that are not helping you come across well.

To be very clear, I do not interpret support for the team and positivity as support for Smurf. Neither have I in any way not been supportive about the team.

I do however interpret the way in which some people are blindly thinking that staying up will solve the problem as support for Smurf.

To steal a quote from the Military "The standard you walk past is the standard you accept"... and I for one do not accept the standard that Mr Smurthwaite has set for my beloved club.

Now, as D@P has pointed out, the timing of this thread is controversial, and could it have been better served coming at the end of the season. I will agree that yes it could. But I feel very strongly that these issues are not going away, whether we stay up or not.

Are you questioning how much of a Vale fan I am?

I will give you some advice, any answer other than "no" or choosing to ignore that question may make you look very stupid.

You may disagree with my view of the future of the club, and the level of threat placed upon it by Mr Smurthwaite's tenure, but reducing your argument to throw away comments like that are not helping you come across well.

To be very clear, I do not interpret support for the team and positivity as support for Smurf. Neither have I in any way not been supportive about the team.

I do however interpret the way in which some people are blindly thinking that staying up will solve the problem as support for Smurf.

To steal a quote from the Military "The standard you walk past is the standard you accept"... and I for one do not accept the standard that Mr Smurthwaite has set for my beloved club.

Now, as D@P has pointed out, the timing of this thread is controversial, and could it have been better served coming at the end of the season. I will agree that yes it could. But I feel very strongly that these issues are not going away, whether we stay up or not.

Your last paragraph sums up my complaint perfectly,thank you for acknowledging it.

Archived