onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is Smurf all talk no action ?

Gareths54

Im not sure about the stability, it doesnt seem stable if smurf has to keep loaning money to keep it afloat.

I dont care who the owner is providing he does a good job on and off the field.

Isn't this the same for 95% of lower league clubs though (and a lot of top ones too!).

Smurf backs us financially, far far more than V2001 ever did and no one can question that. He has his faults but when you look down the M6 at Coventry or Blackpool/Charlton and so on then Smurf really isn't that bad. His communication skills aren't the best and he is blunt to the extreme at times but we are in a far better position than a proportion of clubs.

If Smurf was to go as some wish then what? We would be relying on a similar person to keep us afloat season after season, the theory that some Oil Tycoon will come in and finance the club to glory is unlikely so I am not totally sure what people expect.

Advert

I'm happy with him in charge as his heart and money are in the right place. I just wished like many others he could sort the communication problems the club has and the marketing team out.

What are your thoughts Tomo?

I have quite a lot to be honest, & there are positives (plus let's face it, anything was better after V2001), but I'm always an optimist, & even I'm struggling recently. I definitely see more negatives throughout at present than positives though, & the general atmosphere surrounding the club is pretty terrible.

I'm at work at the moment so I'll try & keep it short(ish)! We all know the issues with the club's general communication & marketing. But for me (this season), it's the way he has completely gone back on his word (RE quality over quantity) & shown himself to be incredibly naive in the way of recruitment. I had concerns in pre-season, but didn't repeatedly voice them, as I was still open to the idea of it working (it's been a completely different approach, which I've never seen the likes of at Vale).

The 'all talk no action' isn't an issue at all for me, it's that the talk & action never match. Constant mixed messages, the blaming of everyone around him, his sometimes overly defensive/confrontational attitude towards criticism, I could go on. I just cant help feel like Vale are unique, in the way that you won't find another club with an owner who is, at times, so unbelievably amateur, yet unwilling to seek outside help.

v2001 did not own the club and a lot of fans had invested a lot of their hard earned cash, which they could barely afford. Everybody was equal but some were more equal than others.Now the club is owned by one man , he can basically do what he wants, it is his property, no one elses. He can do as he wishes.Given the choice I would take the latter anytime.

I'm a bit confused fpn, I didn't mention V2001 in any part of that, I was simply asking if he is happy at present how we are (& going forward). Nothing to do with the past & comparing to how we were (but yes, it is better than it was of course).

It obviously is unforgiveable because some people here keep living in the past and bringing all this up again to justify the poor performance of the current owner. Get over it. I support Port Vale now but am finding it difficult to have any hope of us surviving in this league unless something changes.

Poor performanc??? what a plank. We have better players than we have seen in the last 10 years at the club presently.

Would rather have Smurf than Venkys, Oystons, Vincent Tan or John Bowler. That's just off the top of my head.

I understand there are other bad owners out there, but the way he acts, & addresses the public through the media (as well as the way he has spoken online to fans/agents etc) is embarrassing & cringe worthy at times. In the entire time I've followed football, I can't recall seeing many others behave this way.

I know we're better off than some other clubs like Coventry/Blackpool etc, but I'm just curious as to how some people are really happy with the running of the club (not in the past, at present & going forward). Like I've said before, I'm probably one of the most optimistic fans you'd meet, but even I'd be surprised to read at present that any of you have much confidence or trust in him after the last 12-18 months.

So plan B is to bring more players in, like Pato, to add to the 30 odd players already on the books. Thought Mr Smurf wanted quality over quantity this season. Just admit it Smurf, you've made a bo**ock hiring Bruno. The clubs a mess from top to bottom.

Any more players and PVFC will be the second largest employer in Stoke on Trent

On Twitter Smurf tweeted "Back to business now and the minimum requirements of myself and our great club over the xmas period UTV"

Well we've certainly got the minimum points !!

More talk and no Action !!!

How do you know there's no action? I suspect the next 24/48 hours will bring some developments. The message from the fans today was loud and clear. Smurf will not have failed to hear it.

Archived