onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Fleetwood Town

Fosse69

Advert

Watched from the directors box today. Very poor for an hour and what is noticeable is the huge space between the front 2 or 3 and the defence and midfield. There's no link man or men in the centre of the park and it enabled Fleetwood to play through the middle with ease. Once cicilia came on, we (again) looked better with two up top. Say what you like about him but he finally gave their defence something to think about. Patterson just isn't a presence and results in us having no outlet.

Thomas has an immaculate touch but his final ball was often poor, until the last 20 where he was brilliant. Jones is rarely involved but gets in the right place. Streete had an excellent game and Smith won a lot of headers but looks susceptible to pace. Tavares is way too casual, Kelly does some good stuff but doesn't always show the fight. Hart looks out of his depth, Taylor has a great touch but looks rusty at times.

Fleetwood should have scored more but we battled manfully and kept in the game.

From where I was sitting, Bruno barely looks involved and doesn't seem to say much - it's very strange but what do I know.

As people have said, we need to change our tactics as we don't offer enough threat, but if we can keep picking up points then eventually we might start playing well again and go on a run.

Excellent summary. Thanks. Must be a good view from the directors box

Most bookies have got us now to finish around 15th position which considering were 6th is quite low.

We've been pretty much nailed on by the 'experts' at the bookmakers to go down at the start of every season since we were promoted. We are still in league 1.

Were 2 points better off this season than last season after 17 games. I do wonder if we could of kept Dodds and OConnor then this seasons side could be alot better than we are. I personally dont think this seasons side is as good as last seasons, but thats my opinion, and id be very surprised if we beat last seasons points total of 65 points.

We've been pretty much nailed on by the 'experts' at the bookmakers to go down at the start of every season since we were promoted. We are still in league 1.

I noticed Fleetwood were slight favs before the match yesturday with William Hill which is quite remarkable.

i thought the team's spirit kept Port Vale in the game. When we changed players and accelerated the ball movement in the last 20 minutes we created chances and scored albeit taking the risk of being counter attacked. Reggie made a difference by holding the ball up better than Patterson and occupying the big defenders. He knows how to slot a loose ball in the box as well. Jones is fringe for a lot of games, but a reliable goal scorer. I think he rightly concentrates on getting in the best places to score and not getting lost in the build up play.

A lot of talk has taken place about the formation and playing out from the back. For me this issue is that we invite pressure at the start of games when we are not ready to cope with it. We are also predictable and move the ball too slowly with no outlet up front. When those faults were corrected in the second half, we looked a good side again. Big time needed performances from the two centre halves and got them. Otherwise we would have lost. Fleetwood moved well in midfield but lacked quality in their strikers. A fortunate win for Port Vale, but some of that fortune was self made by good attitude and keeping going in the face of adversity. That is a strength in the team / squad which last years team did not have.

But we are still in the FA cup, despite being out of the Staffs Senior Cup, League cup and Checkatrade Trophy so it is not all bad.....

The league Cup is in like the 5th round or something...

Nobody cares about the checkatrade in fact most wanted us out.

And the staffs senior cup? You really are pulling at straws.

Stop looking for negatives in everything.

Archived