onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Poor attendance today

Twitters

Advert

Ignore that for a second and answer me this, because no one else has yet.

2009-10 and Vale second home game of the season was against Darlington. There 4,427 Vale fans there. Today there was 4,510 Vale fans.

SEO seem, to me anyway, to be takign credit for the drop in fans from the first game against Crawley. We ahve, I hope, established that the first crowd to the second crowd always drops by aroumd 1,000 and these are just casual fans. They now appear to be taking credit for the drop in fans from the second game of last season against Torquay. Yet that was actually massively up from the season before.

To me, that can be only two things.

1) SEO was in place in 2009-10. Dropped for 2010-11. Back in place in 2011-12.

2) Vale weren't too confident in 2009-10 and only those that wanted to be there turned up. Vale were very confident in 2010-11, everyone believed the club would go up and a very good start seemed to be confirming that. 2011-12 and Vale are back to the low confidence, no one believing in promotion and all that.

I go for number 2. What do you think? Please throw in any other options.

The game against Darlington you mention was following an opening sequence of 2 points from 9. It was also only four days after the most abysmal display against Macclesfield when a huge following of Vale fans had been thoroughly let down by a complete lack of effor by the players on the pitch. Today followed on an unbeaten start and two very good away performances. So I'll got for option 3: folk thought we were kak in 2009, they thought we were good last year, they think we're good this year but a load of fans still won't go.

Incidentally, as you seem to be picking seasons at random, the home gate for the second home game of the 2008-09 season was 5,904!

Whatever way you look at it it's not enough bums on seats to fund a promotion push and if (hopefully) needed a L1 playing budget. I don't know if it's SEO, the economy or everyone off on their holidays, probably a bit of everything to be fair.

There's only one guaranteed way to get gates up and that's to just keep winning the home games and putting on a good show. The vast majority will turn up to watch better football.

I think the attendance was disappointing, it was 2000 down on the equivalent game 2 v Chesterfield last season , but obviously they have more away supporters and were recognised as title contenders. The attendance was 1163 down on the same fixture v Accrington last season but that took place in September after a promotion push had got going. It took me a long time to decide to renew my season ticket after the second half of last season and I think the team and the club does need to attract those fans back. I don't believe many of those people are not attending because they support SEO, I just think they exercised their customer privilage to not buy the product / service. So Mike Lloyd has work to do based on today, perhaps more than I previously thought.

Not sure people will pay £20.50 to watch 4th division football to be honest.

Some people might be attracted by the opposition ( Crewe, Shrews ) but Accrington, with the greatest of respect, and Southend next week are not going to tempt you to part with your money.

We are scoring for fun, unbeaten, and could have gone 3rd today and yet still only 4.6k turned up.........

Well if the board are to be believed we have sold nearly 4000 season tickets, Kids go free, and its £9 for Under 18s. Add in all the free season tickets being banded about and the actual ammount comes out at £565.39p !!! LOL

We were away last week so we need to divide that over 2 weeks.......£282.69.

Christ even allowing for my sarcasm we are up **** creek without a paddle !!

The Stanley game was one of only a few I made last season at Vale Park and comparisons are not realistic. If I remember right that is the game that took us top of the table and we had built up some real momentum. Comparing that with this early stage is hardly like for like. I don't know, but I would suspect Accrington brought more last season as they were near the top, too.

Not a great crowd today but those of us who have watched the Vale for decades have seen much worse.

Obviously there are a significant number of fans staying away judging from OVF and we can only hope this festering sore of a situation is soon resolved so the fast will be over and everyone can enjoy the feast of football.

Olly, I don't think many folk give a monkeys about the opposition at this level to be honest.

The attendance can be dressed up in whatever way, as some folk will inevitably do so, but the bottom line is that it's way below budget, way below last home game, and way below what we should have been getting given the start we've had and the Adams factor.

And the sad fact remains, that it is in the hands of two people to change.

That is the legacy of V2001. A club in turmoil.

For many years I watched Port Vale part time, not least because I live on the Wirral and had family to bring up etc. But I would attend 5-10 games a season, so in the years when it was 10 games the club were not losing much money by me not having a season ticket.

Archived