onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Thursday's new signings

robf

Advert

Rigino(I think I'll call him that it's easier!) seems promising. For those criticising the Dutch 2nd tier I take the point but we signed van der Laan from a lower level than that and he was a class apart at what is now League One level and made a more than steady Championship player for Derby, Wolves and Barnsley further on in his career. I appreciate it's a gamble(any signing is) but for me these lads will want to do well. If they do it's possibly a ticket to a bigger Championship club or even Premiership side for them as those 2 league are rated very highly across Europe.

I can be as negative as any Vale fan but I'm positive about the signings so far, quite frankly I didn't rate Page or the style of football we played for large chunks of last season so I'm hope a new style under Bruno comes off! UTV!

My thoughts exactly. It's a huge gamble but one I'm extremely excited to see and can't wait for the season to get underway. Hopefully some more promising signings today.

I really like the look of the Cicilla signing. To find a striker who is 6 ft 5, has pace and good technical ability is not an easy thing. I think we missed an aerial present last season and looked lightweight up front on many occasions. Hopefully this is the guy who can remedy that.

Next up, I'd really like us to add:

Two commanding centre-half's to complement Streete and Kjell.

A pacey and technically good left back, who can be an attacking outlet.

Two wingers that have quality and can deliver in the final third. Maybe chip in with some goals as well.

A striker to complement Cicilla, who is quick and knows where the back of the net is.

We have a strong spine of the team, by far the better players out of who has stayed and left. Maybe Dodds excluded, although he needed to be played in the number 10 role or not at all. I felt Page still tried to accommodate him even if we didn't play that system, which was a detriment to the team.

I'm really looking forward to hearing who we bring in today and if the players recruited posses any of the aforementioned attributes. The price on us to be relegated a few of the bookies have put out makes me smile. As soon as I find a decent price on us to stay up, I will be making a significant investment.

Only PV could be so contrarian--in a week when both the country and the England football team are out of Europe, the Vale have so far signed all-European manager/players deals. Perhaps Norman should have headed up the remain campaign?!!

I thought Portugal were our team.First team in the semis.:laugh:

Rigino(I think I'll call him that it's easier!) seems promising. For those criticising the Dutch 2nd tier I take the point but we signed van der Laan from a lower level than that and he was a class apart at what is now League One level and made a more than steady Championship player for Derby, Wolves and Barnsley further on in his career. I appreciate it's a gamble(any signing is) but for me these lads will want to do well. If they do it's possibly a ticket to a bigger Championship club or even Premiership side for them as those 2 league are rated very highly across Europe.

I can be as negative as any Vale fan but I'm positive about the signings so far, quite frankly I didn't rate Page or the style of football we played for large chunks of last season so I'm hope a new style under Bruno comes off! UTV!

That's fine Rich, but for every Ian Taylor or Stewart Talbot we've signed from the lower leagues, we've had 10 Kyle Perrys or Mike Greens. If we sign 8 foreign players, the law of averages suggests only 1 or 2 will be any good and will settle into life in SoT. As things stand, I'm very concerned about the season ahead.

That's fine Rich, but for every Ian Taylor or Stewart Talbot we've signed from the lower leagues, we've had 10 Kyle Perrys or Mike Greens. If we sign 8 foreign players, the law of averages suggests only 1 or 2 will be any good and will settle into life in SoT. As things stand, I'm very concerned about the season ahead.

I would expect to see players with more experience & calibre coming through in the next few days. They're the ones who are taking the time with negotiations.

What are you basing this on mate? You are comparing non-league English players to second tier Dutch players? I would put a big wager down that these calibre of players are technically better than all of the players that have left. Just look at the club's they have gone to. They are mid-table league one players at best.

I for one, am delighted we have had a major clear out. Onwards and forwards. UTV

5 signings are supposed to be announced throughout the day today.

It's 12:45.

As a massive gimp used to repeatedly post on here, tik tok.

12:45 = lunchtime. Smurf will have his face buried in a couple of family size Wright's meat & tater, followed by a whole Black Forest Gateaux. If he has time he'll do a couple of signings before he needs a bit of a snack at afternoon tea.

I very much hope you are right.

So do I. A long way to go in all this. 2 players that haven't set the world alight in the Dutch 2nd tier (I don't buy in to youtube videos, they're made by the agents. They're hardly going to put footage of them missing a sitter) isn't too inspiring yet. Neither is it depressing, as we don't know how they're going to adapt to english football. Knops, whilst small could be a commanding presence. Cicilia is tall and pacey I believe and whilst his goalscoring record isn't fantastic this type of football should suit him better.

What are you basing this on mate? You are comparing non-league English players to second tier Dutch players? I would put a big wager down that these calibre of players are technically better than all of the players that have left. Just look at the club's they have gone to. They are mid-table league one players at best.

I for one, am delighted we have had a major clear out. Onwards and forwards. UTV

You may be right, Boslem's Brazil, about the technical side of the players, but as we know, technique only gets you so far in the Third Division, otherwise Chris Lines and Ian Armstrong would be seen as legends. We don't have the support network of the top teams who bring in all these foreign players, many of whom may not speak great English (or certainly speak Potteries English!)

Having watched some football on various trips to Holland, outside of the obvious top 3 or 4, I would fancy teams at the top end of this league to give most other teams in the Dutch top flight a good game.

It may work or it may not, I just think the odds are massively stacked against us as things stand. If we brought in someone like Andy Williams from Donny and a big, bruising centre half who has been there and done it in this league, then my concerns would be lifted somewhat.

Also, "If we sign 8 foreign players, the law of averages suggests only 1 or 2 will be any good and will settle into life in SoT"

Where the hell have you pulled that stat from???? 1 or 2 out of 8? Crazy talk.

Or would you of preferred all of the retained list to sign and have the comfort of knowing we are going to have another season of mid-table mediocrity? Show some ambition and give your head a wobble man.

Archived