onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Owner claims low budget was to engineer Page exit

News Feed

I think he got lucky but I just don't buy the "it was planned" part - there are too many coincidences and too much luck involved in my view.

Every story has an amount of luck involved.... success and failure... its just that failure suggests bad luck

Advert

To my mind a strange and risky way of going about things. If, as he says, this is the situation he wished for then why not simply sack Page and not offer contracts to the players.

Tin hat on as I get, yet again, accused of Smurf bashing.

I agree & I actually find it a bit underhand.

It's one thing changing your mind about your manager part way through a contract, but to not sit him down and tell him beggars belief.

I find this, if true, incredibly disappointing

So he is basically saying that he constructively dismissed the manager and half the team. I am sure that will encourage players and managers to want to join the happy ship that is Port Vale.

I agree. If it's to be believed, we are going to be in a better position then we were a few months ago. Whether that is by luck of judgement doesn't really matter does it?

Why rake up the recent past and (arguably) twist it to make it seem planned.It doesn't portray him or the club in a good light.

Would it not have been more simple to tweet:

Fans can be confident that we will begin next season with better players, a great manager and a competitive budget.

Or even more simply (as I have blogged multiple times) stay off Twitter (and especially stay off Twitter answering any question put to him) and leave it to the official site to update the fans. All the good work of the video he did is rapidly getting overshadowed by increasingly bizarre Twitter messages.

If it was planned (which I still struggle to see) then it's also not the greatest season ticket marketing trick.

1. During Early Bird promotion - we have a reduced playing budget

2. Early Bird promotion ends - erm, actually we have increased the budget

If it was planned (which I still struggle to see) then it's also not the greatest season ticket marketing trick.

A PROPER manager and a couple of reasonable signings could have doubled the ST sales before the deadline.

Truth is Rob, every year there's an announcement sating the budget is going to be cut, then it isn't! you never found me writing posts demonising him for cost cutting, because he doesn't.

Still, I'd love to know how his mind works

So he is basically saying that he constructively dismissed the manager and half the team. I am sure that will encourage players and managers to want to join the happy ship that is Port Vale.

I dont think the constructive dismissal stands up, players were out of contract and offered a new contract [although on different terms]... I didnt see any reference to a cut in pages salary just a cut to his budget which would put him in the position of offering lower terms to out of contract players if he wanted to keep them even though smurf asked him not to issue the retained list... not the simplest way to do things, especially for a man who shoots from the hip [we are told].

It would have been better and simpler to sack page in october [?] last year following the retained list fiasco, at the end of his trial period, at least that what smurf suggested.... didnt he also suggest page was on a rolling contract [monthly?]

I dont think the constructive dismissal stands up, players were out of contract and offered a new contract [although on different terms]... I didnt see any reference to a cut in pages salary just a cut to his budget which would put him in the position of offering lower terms to out of contract players if he wanted to keep them even though smurf asked him not to issue the retained list... not the simplest way to do things, especially for a man who shoots from the hip [we are told].

It would have been better and simpler to sack page in october [?] last year following the retained list fiasco, at the end of his trial period, at least that what smurf suggested.... didnt he also suggest page was on a rolling contract [monthly?]

I wasn't necessarily saying there was a legal case to answer, just that he has engineered a situation where the manager and a lot of out of contract players have left without him having to pay them off.

A PROPER manager and a couple of reasonable signings could have doubled the ST sales before the deadline.
I find it strange that the "Strap yourself in" advert has been revised for the end of Early Bird, but dated 1st July. Do they know what month it is?

I wasn't necessarily saying there was a legal case to answer, just that he has engineered a situation where the manager and a lot of out of contract players have left without him having to pay them off.
But the players were out of contract, except Dodds who had an extension option, what was there to pay?

Norm is 'nanas! I can't help but quite like the bloke but I'm not sure where we'll end up during his ownership. I suspect the real reason Page left is because Smurf is barking and the Exeter incident demonstrated to him his security of employment was slightly lower than an agency worker at Sports Direct.

Laughable buissiness tactics (if true)

Archived