onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF problems - an update

robf

obviously work and family have to come into play

Get your priorities right!!!!

Seriously well done in getting it back so quickly

Only issue I am seeing is that when I log in it asks me to do so several times when in reality the first attempt has I believe succeeded..it just doesn't tell me that it has. Maybe it's trying to put me off ;) !!!!

Advert

Not sure I like the alternative to the 'thumbs up/down' control. It has too much prominence and leaves us in no doubt as to who the sycophants are. ;)

Well as they say - you can't please everyone all the time... I'm not sure it's all sycophantic - I certainly only use it to genuinely thank someone for an interesting post.

However, you're not the first to mention the "prominence"... and I will look into it but I can't promise anything - sometimes it's hard not to break the module by playing around with its code.

There's a few things to bear in mind -

1. I am rushing to restore things so not everything is how I like it. The idea is I'd rather have functioning elements that need tweaking aesthetically rather than nothing at all.

2. Yes it is new but I see it on lots of other forums and it's a fairly standard thing on most forums so it may just be that it needs a bit of "getting used to"

3. If indeed it is being used for "sycophantic" purposes (and I'm really not sure it is) I can limit the amount of thanks given each day so people are not giving thanks for everything and to everyone (again this is the same as number one - I'm working on a lot of OVF things and in an ideal world this would be done but there's a LOT still missing from OVF (18 months worth of images that weren't in the back-up for a start!) which take priority at the moment).

Thanks

Keep up the good work robf my only problem is I have to keep having to press the forum button so I can get a new forum subject up again keep up the good work and many thanks for ovf.

I think there are problems with cookies for a lot of people.

(apologies to techies who may correct me) Cookies basically store your login info on the forum but when the site crashed I had to duplicate the forum and copy everything across. In other words this is a brand new forum (albeit with duplicates of all the posts and user information copied across to it) but you can access it with your login info from the old one.

I think the old cookies try to reference the old forum location which is why people have problems maintaining a "logged in" account. If you clear your web cache (history) completely including clearing all cookies and then save your login information that may solve it (though it may not as cookies are tricky and it may not work).

Hope that helps.

Well as they say - you can't please everyone all the time... I'm not sure it's all sycophantic - I certainly only use it to genuinely thank someone for an interesting post.

However, you're not the first to mention the "prominence"... and I will look into it but I can't promise anything - sometimes it's hard not to break the module by playing around with its code.

1. I am rushing to restore things so not everything is how I like it. The idea is I'd rather have functioning elements that need tweaking aesthetically rather than nothing at all.

2. Yes it is new but I see it on lots of other forums and it's a fairly standard thing on most forums so it may just be that it needs a bit of "getting used to"

3. If indeed it is being used for "sycophantic" purposes (and I'm really not sure it is) I can limit the amount of thanks given each day so people are not giving thanks for everything and to everyone (again this is the same as number one - I'm working on a lot of OVF things and in an ideal world this would be done but there's a LOT still missing from OVF (18 months worth of images that weren't in the back-up for a start!) which take priority at the moment).

Thanks

You missed the wink when I mentioned the sycophants Rob - it was only my little joke.

Seriously, thanks to you for all you've done to get the site back up and running - I missed it when it wasn't there.

Thanks

Will the 'thanks'option ever be on the mobile version for the forum Rob?

Also the 'edit post' option on the bottom right next to the reply and quote on the mobile site isn't there anymore. I'm sure ou probably know already but with my fat fingers and tiny keyboard I need it! :laugh:

Archived