onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sugar - the new poison

JOHNNYAITCH

Seems it's going to kill anyone who eats/drinks too much of it

Personally not had it in hot drinks for many years, ditto fizzy drinks, avoid cakes, biscuits, chocolate bars etc (truth is I don't really like sweet stuff much anyway)

Does seem to crop up in more foods than it used to

Anyone making lifestyle changes to reduce/eliminate sugar intake?

Advert

This is one of those subjects that is not new - a great book titled something like Pure White and Deadly - outlined the dangers about 20 years ago (off the top of my head, may be a bit out with the date) but wheras those who said it were mocked by most, many people are taking notice now.

It cold be something to do with the massive increase in diabetes, but a lot of the blame must go to the food producers who cut costs and corners and add sugar to vast numbers of products and in huge quantities where it is not needed.

A lot of people wont realise that the Tomato Ketchup they eat is loaded with it, and low-fat yoghurts are piled high in sugar which is worse than the fat.

I could continue with hundreds of examples - I love sweet chili sauce and sorbet (no, not together) but really have to cut down on them as they are both way over the top in sugar.

But worse still, is a product that is called glucose-fructose syrup which the manufacturers of loads of stuff found out was cheaper and sweeter, but is a definite health risk (do some research) and is now in many products - Jaffa Cakes are touted as healthy for being low fat but this dangerous substance is the top ingredient in them.

And just to cheer everyone up, many experts now agree that replacing sugar with sweeteners is much worse - especially aspartine which has worrying links to cancer, and does not help with weight loss as these chemical sweeteners destroy the hut flora, or 'good bacteria' and also are bad for many organs like the liver.

Again, do your own research and make your mind up - I m not telling anyone not to eat anything, but these days the supermarket is a health battleground and information on what you are eating is power that might just save you years of miserable illness.

I haven't used sugar for many years, but there is so much sugar in foods and, especially fizzy drinks, which I'm trying to give up.

Chocolate is a hard one for me to give up. A nice cup of tea with milk , can't beat it.

A small amount (4-6 small squares a day) of 60-80 per cent cocoa dark chocolate is quite healthy, huge load of antioxidents and nowhere near the sugar (or glucose-fructose syrup, see my previous post) of Jaffa Cakes or Oreos or many other things. But not Cadburys or Hersheys.

when salt became a no no food manufacturers started fortifying that processed pap with sugar in all of it's many forms, corn syrup, sodium, molasses etc so us diabetics are told early on that sugar is a poison and should be avoided like the plague as should most of the el cheapo ready meals which only add flavour to the manufacturers bank balance.

A small amount (4-6 small squares a day) of 60-80 per cent cocoa dark chocolate is quite healthy, huge load of antioxidents and nowhere near the sugar (or glucose-fructose syrup, see my previous post) of Jaffa Cakes or Oreos or many other things. But not Cadburys or Hersheys.

Cocoa dark chocolate it is then. I've heard that from others as well. Your previous post puts it all into perspective.

Going to the supermarket is getting harder, although it's better than going hungry like some unfortunate people.

American supermarkets are notorious for placing all kinds of junk food near the checkouts , and people just grab them whilst waiting .

It's hell getting old. :)

Seems it's going to kill anyone who eats/drinks too much of it

Personally not had it in hot drinks for many years, ditto fizzy drinks, avoid cakes, biscuits, chocolate bars etc (truth is I don't really like sweet stuff much anyway)

Does seem to crop up in more foods than it used to

Anyone making lifestyle changes to reduce/eliminate sugar intake?

Everything is toxic if you eat/injest enough of it, even foods/chemicals which are essential for life. The advice your granny gave, "Eat everything in moderation but no one thing in excess" is the best available.

No lifestyle changes for me unless at some point I'm diagnosed as diabetic, I'm aware of the effects of excess sugar so don't add sugar to tea or coffee and use it sparingly in cooking but I do have a penchant for desserts/cakes and chocolate, in particular Cadburys' chocolate.

Sugar is 8 times more addictive that cocaine and it actually causes cancer.

The cancer cells feed on sugar.

Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value. The sugar cane and beet is drained of all goodness (molasses) which is then added to animal feedstuff so that the animals can benefit from the vitamins and minerals.

Because there is no vitamins and/or minerals in sugar nature takes the vitamins out of the cells and calcium out of the bones to try to use it. Then more sugar is consumed and the body can not cope; so the liver deposits it around the body in the form of fat.

70% of U.K. farmers stopped producing sugar beet because the bugs did so much damage that the profit was almost none existant. Now they are beginning to produce again because they are using GMO beet which is bug resistant. Profitable again for farmers, but GMO food? YUk!

But, beware do not turn to sweeteners such as Aspartame which does more damage than sugar but in different ways. Apart from causing people to crave for carbs like Chocolate it prevents the brain from producing dopamine. The brain needs to be flooded by dopamine and a shortage of it causes depression and other complaints.

Sugar is 8 times more addictive that cocaine and it actually causes cancer.

The cancer cells feed on sugar.

Sugar has absolutely no nutritional value. The sugar cane and beet is drained of all goodness (molasses) which is then added to animal feedstuff so that the animals can benefit from the vitamins and minerals.

Because there is no vitamins and/or minerals in sugar nature takes the vitamins out of the cells and calcium out of the bones to try to use it. Then more sugar is consumed and the body can not cope; so the liver deposits it around the body in the form of fat.

70% of U.K. farmers stopped producing sugar beet because the bugs did so much damage that the profit was almost none existant. Now they are beginning to produce again because they are using GMO beet which is bug resistant. Profitable again for farmers, but GMO food? YUk!

But, beware do not turn to sweeteners such as Aspartame which does more damage than sugar but in different ways. Apart from causing people to crave for carbs like Chocolate it prevents the brain from producing dopamine. The brain needs to be flooded by dopamine and a shortage of it causes depression and other complaints.

A scary but totally accurate post, and it isn't just aspartame that is a worry with chemical artificial sweeteners.

And Paul, your cliché's about 'a little of everything is ok' - if someone offers you some polonium, and cigarettes, and an asbestos pie, I take it that'll be your supper sorted out then will it ?

And it is not true that everything is toxic if you eat enough of it - there are many vitamins that will just pass through the system and plenty of foods too - you might be sick from bloating, but that doesn't make them toxic in the way that some foods are.

Finally, and agood thing, is that despite you saying you wont make lifestyle changes - you HAVE already as you say you limit sugar in cooking and don't have it in tea and coffee-. Enjoy your Cadburys, though when I come to power it will be labelled as Cadburys Sugarmilk with added chocolate.

Is there anything that doesn't kill you and/or give you cancer these days? ****ing football pitches is the latest one according the radio the other morning! Can't be doing with all this me.

You might like to consider that the 'story on the radio' was quoting a senior NHS official whose poor 18-year-old son has contracted cancer, and he has spent a great deal of time and money finding out that the old tyres used for the 3G pitches contain known carcinogens like Benzine - he reported that his son came home covered in the stuff, it had worked its way into grazes, cuts and abrasions, been breathed in and discoloured his skin.

His aim was to try and make sure others don't befall the same fate.

If that is too much for your sensibility, let's hope nothing bad ever happens to you - we really all couldn't be doing with it if and when it does.

Archived