onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The ongoing despicableness of the Conservative Party

mr.hobblesworth

Can you walk and chew gum at the same time ?

There is no law that says you cant have an opinion or consider more than one subject or issue at the same time. Otherwise you shoud be saying we cant post about football or Vale until ISIS is tamed or climate change controlled.

This first aid issue is important, and not least because it shows you what type of person you are dealing with with a backbench tory.

Can you walk and chew gum?

What I am trying to say is there are BIGGER priorities. Actually the Labour party introduced the company who pushed their unfair regime on the sick and disabled so they are as much to blame as anybody. At least Tory back benchers don't hide the fact that they are anti working class.

First Aid is only important in organisations where there are no first aiders. Rather have Equality and Diversity courses as an aid to preventing radicalization of young people to extremist groups...something else the Labour party ignored in their 13 years of New Labour rule.

Advert

Can you walk and chew gum?

What I am trying to say is there are BIGGER priorities. Actually the Labour party introduced the company who pushed their unfair regime on the sick and disabled so they are as much to blame as anybody. At least Tory back benchers don't hide the fact that they are anti working class.

First Aid is only important in organisations where there are no first aiders. Rather have Equality and Diversity courses as an aid to preventing radicalization of young people to extremist groups...something else the Labour party ignored in their 13 years of New Labour rule.

You continue to go off at tangents on all sorts of other subjects when this thread is about the first aid vote - start another thread if you want to talk about the disabled, a very important subject but unrelated to this.

Same as this Equality and Diversity courses - another subject, new thread please.

First aid is important everywhere, not just at work so your last paragraph shows blinkered thinking. If someone collapses while out walking, and you are theonly other person nearby, it could be a matter of life and death whether you know what to do.

On a train, a plane, visiting friends or neighbours, at a playground, - first aid could be needed anywhere and delay could cost a life, so don't trivilaise or digress from the issue.

That is what that Tory MP did to stop it being taught at schools, it would be ironic if it came back to affect him or his family.

Crikey Charlie, what a bizarre thread. Has political discussion actually come down to discussing whether first aid training is a good idea? How is this even political, rather than just basic common sense?

It was made political by Mr Davies, who does not want state resources spent on saving lives, and if you have a look at his profile on Wiki or elsewhere, have a look at his other policies you can see what sort of person he is.

There is no profit in it for anyone, so he is against it, it benefits all people and not the privileged few, so he is against it, and I wouldn't be surprised if he thought it was better that someone died than cost the NHS treatment money.

What you and I and other decent people might see as common sense (that first aid training surely must be a good thing), this piece of dirt does not.

Not really missing the point at all. Let's consider more important issues before discussing whether immature children should be taught something only Adults should take responsibility for.

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/what-we-do/latest-news/news-archive/news-stories-from-2011/may/schoolgirl-saves-boys-life.aspx

http://www.safe2care-training.com/training/index.php/health-care-thoughts/88-young-children-save-lives

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-107626/The-aid-lessons-saved-brother.html

Just a few examples. There are plenty more. Anyone can save a life if they know what they're doing. You don't have to be an adult. The St Johns Ambulance Cadets are as young as 10 years old but if you ever need help, I'll make sure they don't come to your aid if you think it should only be the job of an adult!! And this is not a case of first aid education being at the expense of other government spending - it is in addition to it. As I said, the cost would be minimal in government spending terms but the benefits would be enormous.

Do you have any first aid training by the way?

We could always write him a letter highlighting the error of his ways and pointing out that his actions could result in the unnecessary deaths of innocent people in this and possibly other countries.

Im not convinced "compulsory" is the right way to go but first aid training should be available.

Of course when things go wrong it would raise some serious questions regarding negligence/ability/responsibility etc and inaction?

If a relative of yours died because nobody at the scene could administer life-saving first aid after a heart attack or similar, you might think differently. It's a sad tactic to divert from something by saying other things are more important - if they are, why did Mr Davies waste all that time talking to kill this very worthwhile bill.

This thread is not about ISIS, but about a stinking horrible selfish man stopping a good cause just to be pedantic.

That's why we have first aid courses at work and ambulances , still let's make it national service.

You continue to go off at tangents on all sorts of other subjects when this thread is about the first aid vote - start another thread if you want to talk about the disabled, a very important subject but unrelated to this.

Same as this Equality and Diversity courses - another subject, new thread please.

First aid is important everywhere, not just at work so your last paragraph shows blinkered thinking. If someone collapses while out walking, and you are theonly other person nearby, it could be a matter of life and death whether you know what to do.

On a train, a plane, visiting friends or neighbours, at a playground, - first aid could be needed anywhere and delay could cost a life, so don't trivilaise or digress from the issue.

That is what that Tory MP did to stop it being taught at schools, it would be ironic if it came back to affect him or his family.

David David...I don't have to start a new thread to make a reasonable point...even though it flies in the face of your politics. Don't tell me what I can't or can do...we are both posters...you have your opinion and I have mine...leave it at that.

As for your comment about blinkered thinking...what I would say to that is you need to look at the bigger picture. We are living in times of austerity and we have a major problem with extremism and radicilisation in this country. We have a major problem with poverty in this country. Now is not the time to think about sending youngsters on pointless first aid courses when there are bigger priorities.

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/what-we-do/latest-news/news-archive/news-stories-from-2011/may/schoolgirl-saves-boys-life.aspx

http://www.safe2care-training.com/training/index.php/health-care-thoughts/88-young-children-save-lives

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-107626/The-aid-lessons-saved-brother.html

Just a few examples. There are plenty more. Anyone can save a life if they know what they're doing. You don't have to be an adult. The St Johns Ambulance Cadets are as young as 10 years old but if you ever need help, I'll make sure they don't come to your aid if you think it should only be the job of an adult!! And this is not a case of first aid education being at the expense of other government spending - it is in addition to it. As I said, the cost would be minimal in government spending terms but the benefits would be enormous.

Do you have any first aid training by the way?

Showing a few examples doesn't eradicate the principle that I made my point with.

Yes I have got first aid training...but it was a three day course and now I have forgot what I have been taught. What usually happens with such courses is people attend for three days then have a quick prcatical exam. But there are flaws to this and i'l tellyou what they are-:

1.The first Aid course is not renewed and therefore no refresher training until three years from the date of the last one.

2.The people who practice first aid don't do it within their job or school timetable on a regular basis.

3. Throughout that three year period, there are likely to be people who forget their training.

4.Being a First Aid trainer is not legally binding, so there is no duty of care obligation applied to that person

5.So a person (or young child/teenager) who sees a tramp smelling of whatever in the city centre who is throwing up and having a fit, then becomes reliant on mouth to mouth or whatever does not have to put themselves in the position of doing mouth to mouth, and on that point (Do you really think they would)

6. I can honestly see there are better priorities on the board for the government to spend money on..but they need to cut back in other areas of spending

A famous quote from Nye Bevan about the Tories, true when it was said and still true now;

"So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin, they condemned millions of people to semi-starvation. I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying, do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. They have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse."

He also said something I find incredibly accurate, that successful Toryism and an intelligent electorate are a contradiction in terms.

The Tories represent the interests of a tiny minority of the populus, those with incomes of £100k or more and significant private wealth. Interestingly not all people it that position are Tories, usually because they believe in a fair and inclusive society rather than selfish personal greed.

Blocking the addition of first aid to the curriculum is typical Tory small mindedness, how on earth could anyone consider teaching kids such a useful practical skill to be a bad thing?

A famous quote from Nye Bevan about the Tories, true when it was said and still true now;

"So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin, they condemned millions of people to semi-starvation. I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying, do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. They have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse."

He also said something I find incredibly accurate, that successful Toryism and an intelligent electorate are a contradiction in terms.

The Tories represent the interests of a tiny minority of the populus, those with incomes of £100k or more and significant private wealth. Interestingly not all people it that position are Tories, usually because they believe in a fair and inclusive society rather than selfish personal greed.

Blocking the addition of first aid to the curriculum is typical Tory small mindedness, how on earth could anyone consider teaching kids such a useful practical skill to be a bad thing?

Wow.... thats unusual.... political parties slagging the opposition.

"Conservative MPs have blocked a bill to bring first aid training to schools by talking non-stop until time to discuss and vote on it ran out."

I wish I had had repeated basic first aid and other health related safety training when I at school to drum the techniques in rather than later in life at work. These are simple, potential life saving actions that could help people. At least three times in my late teens/early 20's I may well have been able to make a difference, it's a no brainer for me.

Yes I have got first aid training...but it was a three day course and now I have forgot what I have been taught.

Forgetting what you have been taught suggests that wasting money on education of any sort is a bigger problem!

And your suggestion in your previous post that extremism and radicalisation are bigger problems goes without saying. But if extremists do in the UK what they have done in Paris, perhaps we will need more first aiders??

Archived