onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The ongoing despicableness of the Conservative Party

mr.hobblesworth

If you want to have a go at Corbyn/ Labour, there's a thread just for that on this sub forum. This is to discuss what a foul, spiteful, vicious, vindictive bunch of ***** (or otherwise) the current government are.

#1.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-block-bill-to-give-first-aid-training-to-children-by-talking-until-time-runs-out-a6742251.html

Conservative MPs have blocked a bill to bring first aid training to schools by talking non-stop until time to discuss and vote on it ran out.

The Compulsory Emergency First Aid Education (State-Funded Secondary Schools) Bill would have required schools to teach first aid training to children as part of the national curriculum.

The group of MPs used up the bill’s time by talking for hours, with one speech by an education minister described by the deputy speaker as like reading a “telephone book” out loud.

Because the proposed law is not supported by the Government it only has a limited amount of time to be debated in Parliament, or has to be shelved.

It is backed by St John’s Ambulance, the British Red Cross, and the British Heart Foundation .

Tory MP Philip Davies, who is famous for “talking out” bills during Friday sessions of parliament, gave the longest speech of all, lasting around 50 minutes.

“The title gives away the principle of this bill: compulsory emergency first aid education in state-funded secondary schools. The point I am trying to make is that I do not agree with the principle of compulsory first aid education in schools. Why on earth would I allow a bill that principle of which I don’t like a second reading?” he said.

Mr Davies ultimately gave way before the end of the debate, with other MPs continuing to talk at length until time ran out.

The debate ended without a vote while Conservative education minister Sam Gyimah continued to read a long list of subjects despite interventions by the deputy speaker asking him to stop.

The Bill was proposed by Labour MP Teresa Pearce but had cross party support, including from some Conservatives. During Mr Davies’ marathon speech fellow Tory MP Roger Gale urged him not to block the law.

“I’d like to think that given that this is a matter of life and death my honourable friend might just allow this to have a second reading and then allow it to be dissected in a committee stage,” Mr Gale said.

Mr Davies responded that Mr Gale’s argument was “ludicrous”.

Among reasons he listed for blocking the bill was that himself had been taught first aid in school but had forgotten what he was taught.

He also said the Government should not expect teachers to assume a “pseudo-parent role”, and that he did not want “the Government to be sticking their nose in at every turn trying to lecture [teachers] every five minutes that they should be doing this, that, and the other”.

The incident follows outrage over Mr Davies filibustering a bill to scrap hospital car parking charges for carers, and an incident where Government health ministers deliberately blocked a bill to promote cheaper off-patent drugs in the NHS.

Mr Davies has also blocked a law that would have required landlords to make sure their homes were fit for human habitation.

Advert

I think what is needed in a National curriculum is awareness of Equal opportunity and therefore a subject in Equality and Diversity. This would teach students of all backgrounds the importance of respecting different backgrounds and could be the key to educating young people in the war against extremism...that would be money well spent and I somehow think a more viable subject that would be key in the fight against Radicalisation.

If you want to have a go at Corbyn/ Labour, there's a thread just for that on this sub forum. This is to discuss what a foul, spiteful, vicious, vindictive bunch of ***** (or otherwise) the current governmentt are

I'd be more concerned with what the government are doing to the sick and disabled than some First aid course that many students will find no interest in.

I think what is needed in a National curriculum is awareness of Equal opportunity and therefore a subject in Equality and Diversity. This would teach students of all backgrounds the importance of respecting different backgrounds and could be the key to educating young people in the war against extremism...that would be money well spent and I somehow think a more viable subject that would be key in the fight against Radicalisation.

Heck no... -the country is over-run with Mickey Mouse roles like this!

In the course of my job I've met any permutation you want of Equality and Diversity Officers / Inclusion Officers / Outreach Workers / Ethnic Awareness Officers etc etc.

When pressed, not one of these could tell me what their objectives were, nor how these outcomes were measured.

We should (and largely do) educate children about different faiths and cultures, the real problem is usually the thick-as-**** ignorant parents!

Mr Job(ble)sworth is focusing on nit picking and not the bigger picture again- what a shock. The irony of course being that by sensationalising and using a word like despicable to describe an issue such as teaching first aid, you sound just like a Daily Mail article. Bit sad really, like the chip on your shoulder.

Stick with the bloke/ coward who likes manhole covers, he'll sort everything :shifty:

Mr Job(ble)sworth is focusing on nit picking and not the bigger picture again- what a shock. The irony of course being that by sensationalising and using a word like despicable to describe an issue such as teaching first aid, you sound just like a Daily Mail article. Bit sad really, like the chip on your shoulder.

Stick with the bloke/ coward who likes manhole covers, he'll sort everything :shifty:

This! Cheers saved me a post :)

I'm outraged by this. All the stuff going on in the world and there's a major debate going on about first aid. This is what's wrong with government , morons like corbyn advocating writing a letter to isis and pedants like hobblesworth getting their nickers in a twist over a pathetic thing like first aid.

Nailed it

Archived