onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The ongoing despicableness of the Conservative Party

mr.hobblesworth

Showing a few examples doesn't eradicate the principle that I made my point with.

Yes I have got first aid training...but it was a three day course and now I have forgot what I have been taught. What usually happens with such courses is people attend for three days then have a quick prcatical exam. But there are flaws to this and i'l tellyou what they are-:

But that's the point, it doesn't need to be a 3-day course, just knowing how to resuscitate someone, clear a blockage it someone is choking on food and how to stop a bad bleed/apply a tourniquet properly until a qualified EMS/first aider arrives on the scene. time is often of the essence.

1.The first Aid course is not renewed and therefore no refresher training until three years from the date of the last one.

2.The people who practice first aid don't do it within their job or school timetable on a regular basis.

3. Throughout that three year period, there are likely to be people who forget their training.

4.Being a First Aid trainer is not legally binding, so there is no duty of care obligation applied to that person

IMHO, simple, basic first aid training shouldn't be so formalized and for those who wish it should be available as a refresher whenever they want it.

5.So a person (or young child/teenager) who sees a tramp smelling of whatever in the city centre who is throwing up and having a fit, then becomes reliant on mouth to mouth or whatever does not have to put themselves in the position of doing mouth to mouth, and on that point (Do you really think they would)

6. I can honestly see there are better priorities on the board for the government to spend money on..but they need to cut back in other areas of spending

You choose an extreme example but highlight a point, mouth to moth doesn't need to be done, nose to mouth is an option and with a tissue the area could be made acceptable. No one should feel compelled but in most cases having the knowledge could make a difference. When I think of some of the stuff that was on the curriculum at school, some repeated, basic first aid traning would have been much more preferable, sensible, worthwhile and less costly.

Advert

"Conservative MPs have blocked a bill to bring first aid training to schools by talking non-stop until time to discuss and vote on it ran out."

I wish I had had repeated basic first aid and other health related safety training when I at school to drum the techniques in rather than later in life at work. These are simple, potential life saving actions that could help people. At least three times in my late teens/early 20's I may well have been able to make a difference, it's a no brainer for me.

The only no-brainers are the ones against it.

Forgetting what you have been taught suggests that wasting money on education of any sort is a bigger problem!

And your suggestion in your previous post that extremism and radicalisation are bigger problems goes without saying. But if extremists do in the UK what they have done in Paris, perhaps we will need more first aiders??

If people are studying or working in fields in which first aid practice is few and far between it wouldn't be beyond any average human being to forget what they were taught. In answer to your question, maybe we will need first aiders if there are further incidents like Paris. So perhaps my suggestion that teaching Equality and Diversity to young Muslims/other ethnicity young people as a priority may make more sense.

There is a saying 'Prevention is better than cure'.

David David...I don't have to start a new thread to make a reasonable point...even though it flies in the face of your politics. Don't tell me what I can't or can do...we are both posters...you have your opinion and I have mine...leave it at that.

As for your comment about blinkered thinking...what I would say to that is you need to look at the bigger picture. We are living in times of austerity and we have a major problem with extremism and radicilisation in this country. We have a major problem with poverty in this country. Now is not the time to think about sending youngsters on pointless first aid courses when there are bigger priorities.

Can you all please stop posting anything about Port Vale, what you are listening to now, the Premiership, cricket, tv programmes, food, holidays, sex, travel, beer, whether Rob Page should be manager if he doesn't win the FA Cup or not, referees, the price of eggs and whether you think will win the Eurovision song contest - to please whotobeakiller who cant cope with other subjects when there are 'bigger priorities'.

Talk about trying to divert the argument and change the subject !

Can you all please stop posting anything about Port Vale, what you are listening to now, the Premiership, cricket, tv programmes, food, holidays, sex, travel, beer, whether Rob Page should be manager if he doesn't win the FA Cup or not, referees, the price of eggs and whether you think will win the Eurovision song contest - to please whotobeakiller who cant cope with other subjects when there are 'bigger priorities'.

Talk about trying to divert the argument and change the subject !

What a ridiculous OTT answer to a simple argument in which you lost.

If people are studying or working in fields in which first aid practice is few and far between it wouldn't be beyond any average human being to forget what they were taught. In answer to your question, maybe we will need first aiders if there are further incidents like Paris. So perhaps my suggestion that teaching Equality and Diversity to young Muslims/other ethnicity young people as a priority may make more sense.

Might there also be a need for first aid for anything from lightning strikes to heart attacks, people choking, having strokes, being hit by vehicles, bitten by insects or animals or even snakes, being caught out in freezing weather and getting hyprothermia, getting in trouble whilst swimming, reading your posts...... the list is endless and none of these are diversity / ISIS / Muslim related.

By the way, I wasn't against First Aid training on principle of the actual means to an end. My argument is the Government should be looking at other courses and investment in training as a priority. A point you appear to overlook and miss (Perhaps purposely)

I repeat - can you walk and chew gum ?

Even this septic excuse for a government with all their hooray henrys, fat cat bankers and ideological bankrupts can sometimes manage 2 or more things at once, and I TOTALLY AGREE that they should be looking at other courses, especially ones that help disabled people, and educate on diversity - that doesn't stop them letting the first-aid training go on, and if you cant see that, I'm beginning to wonder if you are just being awkward for the sake of it. Is Silverdale anywhere near Sidmouth ?

Not "ganging" up on you, in these situations prevention and cure are both needed.

During the aftermath of the Boston bombings where 3 people died and over 300 people were seriously injured by nail/ball bearing bombs, one reason given and borne out later in interviews with survivors and people who initially tended to the injured was the large number of people who were present in the vicinity of the carnage who had received first aid training and were able to apply tourniquets and administer other simple first aid procedures, thus preventing life threatening massive blood loss and giving the injured time to get to the major hospitals for treatment. Sadly Paris isn't the first and won't be the last.

Might there also be a need for first aid for anything from lightning strikes to heart attacks, people choking, having strokes, being hit by vehicles, bitten by insects or animals or even snakes, being caught out in freezing weather and getting hyprothermia, getting in trouble whilst swimming, reading your posts...... the list is endless and none of these are diversity / ISIS / Muslim related.

There is First Aid training for all those that you list...what's your point?

Not "ganging" up on you, in these situations prevention and cure are both needed.

During the aftermath of the Boston bombings where 3 people died and over 300 people were seriously injured by nail/ball bearing bombs, one reason given and borne out later in interviews with survivors and people who initially tended to the injured was the large number of people who were present in the vicinity of the carnage who had received first aid training and were able to apply tourniquets and administer other simple first aid procedures, thus preventing life threatening massive blood loss and giving the injured time to get to the major hospitals for treatment. Sadly Paris isn't the first and won't be the last.

I'm not against First Aid training...but there are other avenues of investment in which education would help society that appear more a priority at this moment in time.

Always happy to oblige. I wouldn't say I lost, look at other peoples comments on your anti-first aid crusade which has no rational motive. Have a nice evening.

Again...I'm not anti First Aid...I believe though that such investment is not a priority in comparison to other areas which could be invested in. Sorry that it fly's in the face of your political crusade but that's the way it is.

I repeat - can you walk and chew gum ?

Even this septic excuse for a government with all their hooray henrys, fat cat bankers and ideological bankrupts can sometimes manage 2 or more things at once, and I TOTALLY AGREE that they should be looking at other courses, especially ones that help disabled people, and educate on diversity - that doesn't stop them letting the first-aid training go on, and if you cant see that, I'm beginning to wonder if you are just being awkward for the sake of it. Is Silverdale anywhere near Sidmouth ?

Nope Silverdale's no where near Sidmouth. I do suspect though, that is a dig at a certain other poster. I dislike the Tory's as well...such as what they are doing to people on Tax credits,,,such as what they are doing to over 25 year old's by giving them a National living wage which will deter them from being employed by numerous companies. I dislike the Tories for their continual PC approach to a certain culture in this country...these are the priorities that I am getting at.

There is First Aid training for all those that you list...what's your point?

My list is of accidents/illnesses, so you cannot say there is FA training for them... it is where they happen that matters - if someone is at work in a large well run company there may well be first aid trained help available. If someone is hiking, and has any one of a dozen different types of accidents or is taken ill, there may be only a few people within even 5 miles of where they are - everything could and would depend on how many of them were able to help.

If 50 per cent of the public had FA training, as opposed to 5 per cent, then there is 10 times the chance that the first person to arrive at a car accident on a country road could help - and delay could be fatal.

The same logic applies to virtually all the other scenarios I listed.

It isn't my political crusade either - someone else (Mr H) started the thread, but I'm glad he did as this type of nastiness and contempt for public safety needs to be exposed.

One last question - and not one meant to criticise, but can you explain why, if you feel many other things have greater priority, why you have spent so much time replying to this thread on first aid and not highlighted and made proposals for the stuff you see as being so much more crucial ?

Archived