onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Maidenhead U 1 Port Vale 3, post match comments

Fosse69

I was in Maidenhead yesterday afernoon reading their local paper. Their fans, players and everyone associated with the club were on a complete high and thought they were going to win, no question. Some of their fans on their message board were asking if the Exeter game woud be all ticket. The TV cameras were there because they thought they were going to see an upset.

In spite of all that, we won. That was all that was required last night. Expecting a performance that made us look like Barcelona on a pudding of a pitch in those circumstances is crazy. We won. Job done. Not pretty but job done. Soem of you lot sound like Manchester United fans, whingeing because you have won a game but haven't played like a combination of Barca and Real Madrid at their best.

I don't care what division Maidenhead are in, in games like last night players in that position raise their game to heights they don't usually reach. How else did Bradford beat Chelsea last season? Yes we were far from at our best and according to some on here we appear to have played worse than any Vale team in the history of the world. But WE WON. That was surely all that mattered last night. If we'd played superbly hit the woodwork ten times and lost to a dodgy decision there would have been calls for Page's head. But we won, and there are still calls for his head.

To be perfectly honest, I will never understand some Vale fans as long as I live.

I don't think anyone could have summed it up better than that.

Advert

Vale's priority is the play offs, but not far behind is bums on seats , and the two are linked anyway.

Last night was the shop window. It failed miserably.

Only if you thought it should be like Harrods. It was perhaps more like a Sainsburys with good food that will feed the family on show, no afternoon fancies and Darjeeling, but wholesome stuff to keep the club healthy and well provided for. Don't forget the prize money and TV fee, which may allow some signings.

Can I ask you a polite question - if Vale had been majestic last night and won 8-0 with a world-beating display, would you have gone to the 2 forthcoming home matches against Chesterfield and Blackpool, given that either way we have the same manager and team ?

Had a good day yesterday, didn't think that the game would be on driving down, it was absolutely pelting down, couldn't see more than a few car lengths it was that bad. The ground looked great as the Paddington-Maidenhead train pulled into the station, must have looked even better when it was packed, commuters must have wondered what the hell was going on, with them only usually getting 300 or so.

I really love games like this, especially when they are away from home. Good little town, some decent boozers, friendly fans and locals, small ground, not the best view and a team that were really up for it. No one knows just how it will go or who would be up for it for our side.

As it happened after a slow start I thought that we played fairly well. Could have possibly scored a couple more but then could also have conceded again from our achilles heal, a corner. No lack of effort and some crunching tackles, especially from McGivern, I thought that we were well worth the win after fearing the worst after going 1-down.

Had a really good day, stopped afterwards for a couple of beers in town before getting the train back. Again all the locals were disappointed that they lost but were happy that they got that far and also had a cracking day.

Hopefully be able to get to Exeter, hope that someone will be running a bus as the train is extortionate!

I was in Maidenhead yesterday afernoon reading their local paper. Their fans, players and everyone associated with the club were on a complete high and thought they were going to win, no question. Some of their fans on their message board were asking if the Exeter game woud be all ticket. The TV cameras were there because they thought they were going to see an upset.

In spite of all that, we won. That was all that was required last night. Expecting a performance that made us look like Barcelona on a pudding of a pitch in those circumstances is crazy. We won. Job done. Not pretty but job done. Soem of you lot sound like Manchester United fans, whingeing because you have won a game but haven't played like a combination of Barca and Real Madrid at their best.

I don't care what division Maidenhead are in, in games like last night players in that position raise their game to heights they don't usually reach. How else did Bradford beat Chelsea last season? Yes we were far from at our best and according to some on here we appear to have played worse than any Vale team in the history of the world. But WE WON. That was surely all that mattered last night. If we'd played superbly hit the woodwork ten times and lost to a dodgy decision there would have been calls for Page's head. But we won, and there are still calls for his head.

To be perfectly honest, I will never understand some Vale fans as long as I live.

The voice of reason as per Jean

Only if you thought it should be like Harrods. It was perhaps more like a Sainsburys with good food that will feed the family on show, no afternoon fancies and Darjeeling, but wholesome stuff to keep the club healthy and well provided for. Don't forget the prize money and TV fee, which may allow some signings.

Can I ask you a polite question - if Vale had been majestic last night and won 8-0 with a world-beating display, would you have gone to the 2 forthcoming home matches against Chesterfield and Blackpool, given that either way we have the same manager and team ?

If you had read my posts you would know the answer.

If you had read my posts you would know the answer.

Nobody, perhaps with a couple of notable exceptions, has time to read all the posts on here, OVF is very valuable but most people have a life outside it too - and that in no way is a dig at you.

So what I was really getting at with not just yourself but others who are critical of the manager is - at what point would you support him, how much does he have to do to be acceptable to some people ? If we get to the top half, and a good cup run will that do ? Or does it have to be top 6, or even automatic promotion.

Or is it to do with the football played regardless of position in the table. I am genuinely interested and to avoid this becoming a personal battle, will open those questions to all those who have posted with damning comments about Rob Page.

'A picture is worth a thousand words'

The BT Sport Cameraman did very well to capture the

cameo of expressions of our club owner during the match

- They exactly mirrored my own feelings as I watched the match at home.

I was excited the Vale were live on TV and was looking forward

to a good match - I was very disappointed by the display though.

Alnwick, Duffy, & McGivern, stopped us being overrun

and kept us in the match

Yates, O'Connor, Louis Dodds

AJ Leitch-Smith - played reasonably

Sam Foley put in a good cross for O'Connors goal

but Carl Dickinson, Anthony Grant & Byron Moore

continually gave the ball away, being caught in possession

and their bad passing putting us under pressure.

Colin Daniel, and Uche Ikpeazu (don't sign him) - did nowt !

Why no JJ Hooper? - he'd scored two previously against Maidenhead

Is the style of football at Vale Park really that bad? I've not watched many teams this year either at VP or at away games who I've thought "you look a good side, I'd tune in if you were on the tele". People talk about finishing 9th under Adams as if it was some sort of golden age. I personally thought the football was boring that season with one or two exceptions. I've not been bored in many home games this season.

First time I have seen Vale play this season.

First thirty minutes was as bad as anything I have seen for years. Players hiding, nothing up front and a very shaky back line. They did the job in the end as they should have done.

To play a keeper who stays on his line behind 2 centre backs who are not strong in the air is utter madness. Teams much lower down can exploit that. Alnwick reminds me of Boswell without the organisational skills.

Grant was appalling. Foley looks like could create a thing or two. Dodds was a class above anyone else on the field. Page is still a buffoon. Now to Byron , never have I seen anyone make less contribution. I could have done what he did wearing a suit, listening to my I-pod and doing the Telegraph crossword as well as washing up and vacuuming. Uche played like a cross between a pillar box and a mime artiste , his body language says he'll be gone soon.

The team is a disorganised rabble and need a proper manager pronto, together with a new centre back and striker.

PAGE OUT.

Despite all that negativity,we still managed to stroll home to a 3-1 win.:whistling:

Ive only been to 4 games so far. Flying in for the next two. Its scary how how our style of play is non existant.

The games ive been to was Crewe, where it was clear we are now playing football.

Burnley. Again on the deck. Good performance.

WBA. Outclassed but stuck with it and took them all the way. Still tried to play football.

Bury. Dire. Lost our way.

Then ive seen reports on here of other games saying we have gone off the rails. Poor performances. Even Barnsley Saturday the performance wasnt good apparantly.

But that tonight compared to what i have seen is a million miles away from where we should be.

The only consolation is that we have picked up wins by playing poorly.

Alnwick. Whats happened? Looked frightened to death to come for any sort of ball unless its within a yard of him!

Grant. Shadow of the player i saw early season.

Moore. Was he on the pitch? Cant frighten a 6th tier full back!!

Foley. Looked assured early season. Now nothing sticks to him! Always wants the ball though. Never goes hiding. Fair play.

Ajay Leitch Smith won us that game with his energy.

Im no fan but fair play to the lad.

Thought Dodds was class on occasions but still and always will remain an enigma.

Uche?!!! Looks like he has piled on half a stone since August! Something not right with him.

Im not sure whether we have the players to challenge for honours.

Im not sure we have the manager to take us there.

Im certainly sure we can improve and must improve!

All that being said we are 4 off theplayoffs and in the 2nd round of the cup.

Frustrating. Very. Im not sure if our season could be a superb one or a huge failure!

Strangest start to a season in both results and performances i have ever known.

How did you think O'Connor played?

There has a target /dream and some ambition shown or the gates will not improve.

If you remember, Rudge took some time to make progress. He also suffered relegation yet Bell persevered with him. Building Rome takes time, and Page has had 12 months. He's still learning his trade but is going in the right direction IMO. For Vale fans, I think you have look longer term. We're steadily making progress and in a couple of years time we could look quite different.

My early days watching the Vale are dominated by memories of the Gordon Lee era. A team built of entirely free transfers, which really did mean you were skint in those days. There were as many sad and bad times as there were good, and that's what supporting a club like the Vale is like. You need the patience of Job, a lot of faith and determination.

In today's Internet age we all want things so quickly, and life isn't always like that. I hope Vale fans persevere with Page and back the team. UTV!

If you remember, Rudge took some time to make progress. He also suffered relegation yet Bell persevered with him. Building Rome takes time, and Page has had 12 months. He's still learning his trade but is going in the right direction IMO. For Vale fans, I think you have look longer term. We're steadily making progress and in a couple of years time we could look quite different.

My early days watching the Vale are dominated by memories of the Gordon Lee era. A team built of entirely free transfers, which really did mean you were skint in those days. There were as many sad and bad times as there were good, and that's what supporting a club like the Vale is like. You need the patience of Job, a lot of faith and determination.

In today's Internet age we all want things so quickly, and life isn't always like that. I hope Vale fans persevere with Page and back the team. UTV!

Spot on.

Archived