onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Should he stay or should he go darlings let me know ?

Advert

From what I am reading the players just aren't good enough but the tactics aren't helping and motivation is an issue. So bringing in a new manager/coach will only improve things if he (she?) is better tactically and maybe a better motivator...or we just have to accept that we are not good enough and just hope to stay up

Can we attract a 'name'?

All this talk of change the manager change the fortunes. I'm not sure our squad has sufficient ability to push above 12th-14th. Our squad depth simply isn't good enough

And that is Page's fault for spunking the budget on his mates and keeping a failing squad together rather than backing his judgement and going for quantity over quality.

I've just come down off the fence. Fed up of attempting to rally round Vale fans by suggesting RP needs time. That time has run out. This match was not a one off....Vale have been embarrassing us far too many times this season now for even a die hard like me to stomach much more!

We have no leadership, no tactics, no passion, no heart and it's now reached the stage when we fans have had enough.

Norman, listen to the those that have supported this fabulous Club for years and years.... surely you don't accept what is going on? If the atmosphere and hopes of us all are not sorted soon then we will drop like a stone and you will seriously be contemplating crowds so much lower than yesterday that reality will have to hit home. I love Vale but my gut is screaming to me now that RP and his mates on the field are inadequate and not worthy of our Club.

I've seen you defend Page time and time again. So have I. I don't even blame him for how the game finished yesterday. He did pretty much everything he could to see out the game 1-0. Things that heralded defensive masterminds would have done such as Pulis. Brought an extra central defender on, hold the ball in the corner. You can't legislate for moronic defending of the highest order for the final free kick of the game. They didn't even look like they wanted to clear it.

However, I will say this. He's brought the problems he's facing on himself. The retention list in the summer was shocking to all concerned. I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt as I would do to all managers. But as someone said the other day, we have one of the biggest squads in the league. It's mental that we have so many players. A smaller squad, with potential to loan players in as when injuries dictated surely would have been the way to go, with more money to spend on quality rather than quantity.

The team selections are questionable as well. I genuinely don't get how, once fit Streete wasn't back in the team. McGivern has been ok in his absence but he's not a patch on Streete and he's one disaster away from screwing us up badly. I'm not sure what the question is if Colin Daniel is the answer either. I don't think he's a League One player in terms of the quality he brings. His attitude sometimes is shocking as well.

Then, the set pieces. Obviously we work on them in training. We must do surely. I know it doesn't look like it but we must do. I'm not talking about yesterday's disaster. I think that had gone far past being a set-piece by the time it went in. I mean the defensive set pieces when the opposition have a free header find themselves free in the box for an easy tap in. I remember the Fleetwood away game. Our only away win of the season. They had so many great chances from set pieces to level the game it was shocking. No players on posts is unfathomable to me, especially when you have everyone back. It covers parts of the goal that the keeper can't get to when he needs quick reactions. It's poor and smacks of the coaching handbook everyone seems to be following nowadays. That said, the players are obviously letting him down with it as well.

The home form has been good, we play nice football at home. Away from what I've seen so far has been poor. It's pretty negative and just doesn't tally with what I've seen at home. I'm happy in the main with what we do at home. I can't work out why things change as soon as the players get on the bus somewhere.

So, I'm still on the fence with Pagey. The home form gives me hope that he can somehow sort out our away form. We're a win away from the top half, which I think most of us would have been happy with at the start of the season wouldn't we? On top of that, some of the names people are coming out with as potential replacements are ****ing scary. Mark Cooper? 1 good season at Swindon doesn't hide he's never done anything else of note at League 1. Lee Clark? Jeez, he's already supposedly got a drinking problem. Our set piece defending would probably send him on to class-A drugs. I saw someone mention we should have grabbed Gary Rowett when we had the chance. In what world was Gary Rowett coming to Vale last year?

I'm prepared to give Page a bit more time. Not much because he really needs to sort the away form out and if he shows no signs of doing that against Barnsley and Maidenhead then Smurf has to consider his options. I'm expecting the replay to be on TV. If we lose that I think Smurf will be shamed into sacking him and to be honest, I wouldn't blame him.

I think Page is stupid enough to bury himself with his words.

First there was the nonsense with O'Connor at Rochdale last season, then the nonsense of the retained list, then the nonsense of the fact we had enough goals in us, now the nonsense of slating the team in it's entirety something Dodds came out and said he appreciated Page didn't do! :laugh:

Page isn't the brightest it seems as he keeps digging his own hole not realising it's his grave in essence!

Archived