onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page meet the manager!!

carpetman123

To me it's akin to the cashless turnstile saga, folk won't make a trip up to the club shop to buy a ticket for a meet the manager night, had it been turn up on the night there could have been double the amount attending.

As Jean explained previously, it was organised by the Volunteers' to include a spot of tiffin ergo to cater without being out of pocket exact numbers known was the way to go.

Advert

Perhaps some fans dont have any interest in meeting the manager and paying for the privilege.

Perhaps some fans have a little more in their lives, kids?, to occupy them.

Its possible page knows where he is going wrong and doesnt need to be told how to correct it... if he doesnt we are in serious trouble.

I wonder how many people would have purchased a ticket to meet the captain of the titanic after the iceberg was hit?

Perhaps some people on here just react when their hopes or dreams for their team have had a kicking?

Personally Im surprised they sold so many tickets to meet a struggling manager who isnt the most inspirational speaker ever to grace the radio or TV

Couldn't agree more. We pay for the privilege of watching the results of his actions, personally I have no interest in hearing him defend them further.

I also agree with Cheeky, no good at present will come out of such an event given the slump we are in, it will just create further frustration on both sides. Whilst it's great the club want to engage for me the event and its timing are not ideal and its fortunate for all in my opinion it's been cancelled. I would imagine it sends a clear message to everyone concerned people aren't happy.

The only way to put things right is on the pitch, people can talk all they want but ultimately actions speak louder than words and everyone knows that.

I'm going for a lie down, I've just agreed with Geo and Cheeky in the same post! :laugh:

That sounds fair on the face of it, but many of those referredto seem to find endless time to while away posting negative things about the manager and team on here for many hours when they could be annoying their kids.

Thats their choice, its their time.

That would be a fair comment if we were 24th in the league, a little over the top though [/Quote]

The ship wasnt sinking when the iceberg struck

You and many others have supported Vale for long enough to know that being two thirds of the way down the third tier is about standard for the club, and your description is way over the top again. Plenty of teams have gone from our position to a playoff place or had a good FA Cup run, not quite throw in the towel time yet. [/Quote]

Plenty of teams have sunk too, its anyones guess what happens. I havent thrown in the towel, I watched them with less than 2,000 others and always felt there was hope... kill the hope and you crush the heart out of the club.

He is a football manager, not an x-factor contestant. And those who have been moaning loud and long had a chance to air their views and get a proper answer from the horse's mouth but were too gutless, lazy or apathetic to do so. Exceptions for those not living in the area. [/Quote]

They aired their views, on this forum, why the hell should they have to pay for the privilege? Smurf reads it, I dont doubt page gets told whats on here, they know what the answers will be

Couldn't agree more. We pay for the privilege of watching the results of his actions, personally I have no interest in hearing him defend them further.

I also agree with Cheeky, no good at present will come out of such an event given the slump we are in, it will just create further frustration on both sides. Whilst it's great the club want to engage for me the event and its timing are not ideal and its fortunate for all in my opinion it's been cancelled. I would imagine it sends a clear message to everyone concerned people aren't happy.

The only way to put things right is on the pitch, people can talk all they want but ultimately actions speak louder than words and everyone knows that.

I'm going for a lie down, I've just agreed with Geo and Cheeky in the same post! :laugh:

I agree with you.... you need to lie down :)

I really don't get all this vitriol spouted towards Rob Page and to some extent Smurf. Anyone would think Vale are 24th in the league and 10 pts adrift, we are 17th despite having some bad luck with injuries, playing some decent football and are one decent goal scorer away from having one of the best squads for sometime. Granted we're not where we want to be but come on, cut the guys some slack and time.

I really don't get all this vitriol spouted towards Rob Page and to some extent Smurf. Anyone would think Vale are 24th in the league and 10 pts adrift, we are 17th despite having some bad luck with injuries, playing some decent football and are one decent goal scorer away from having one of the best squads for sometime. Granted we're not where we want to be but come on, cut the guys some slack and time.

Were 17th, with 20th being only 3 points behind us with a game in hand and blackpool only 1 point behind us with a game in hand. 1 point out of the last 12, and a huge 5 points away from home in what 7/8 games? All coming against 3 of the bottom 5. Why is it acceptable for us to be this poor? We havent had key players injured every match, weve been awful away from home all season, imo i dont understand why Page deserves slack or time as the product on the pitch although pass it nicer isnt improving. Are you happy with 17th?

I remember attending a meet the manager night when Dean Glover was in charge. I was shocked at how "laid back" Dean was despite the club struggling big time. Page makes Dean Glover look like "Psycho." Page appears so "laid back" he is nearly comatose. Show some passion man this is our great club you are managing, "We go again" is not acceptable!

Just about sums up my feelings. I might change my mind if we sink to the bottom and don't get through in what should be a relatively easy FA Cup tie but so far this season has had more good moments than last despite a lot of frustrations, many caused by ill fortune or bad refereeing.

Were 17th, with 20th being only 3 points behind us with a game in hand and blackpool only 1 point behind us with a game in hand. 1 point out of the last 12, and a huge 5 points away from home in what 7/8 games? All coming against 3 of the bottom 5. Why is it acceptable for us to be this poor? We havent had key players injured every match, weve been awful away from home all season, imo i dont understand why Page deserves slack or time as the product on the pitch although pass it nicer isnt improving. Are you happy with 17th?

Equally Vale are 7 points away from the points total of clubs in the play-off spots. Page/Smurf have built a team with a new and much more solid spine for this season and changed the style of football played, it could be argued that Chris Neal is a very if not the most key player in Vales's team but the management moved swiftly to appoint Jak Alnwick for which no credit appears forthcoming and using money which was earmarked for another cause. Last year OVFers were moaning about the defense, we concede too many goals and don't score enough, RP has built a team based on a solid defense which is how one should be built, made Vale more difficult to beat, we are generally losing by the odd goal away and are in the games right to the final whistle, not getting blown away by 3+ goals a game. The same guys moaning about the so called "Hoof ball" have got something else now and they're still not happy.

As said in my post we're not where we want to be but a characteristic of a club which changes its manager/chairman frequently is the club ends up in turmoil, it falls like a stone often out of the Football League and it's a long road back from there. Appointing a new manager now would not only be costly but there is absolutely no guarantee he/she would improve the league position.

The bulk of fans aren't interested in Meet the Manager nights. They want to turn up to the match and enjoy themselves and debate with their mates/families about the managers tactics and who should or shouldn't play.

They don't need to listen to a manager trotting out cliches about training hard, getting the rub of the green, being a bit more ruthless in front of goal etc. What's to gain from it? Although it's a nice idea it's a pretty pointless exercise in my opinion..:..

The point is, TP, that there are many folk on here who seem to have an awful lot to say about the manager - demanding answers about retained lists, defending corners, unbalanced squad, etc,etc blah blah. You would think they would be salivating at the prospect of making the guy answerable but it seems they only want to whinge on here and have no real interest in the other side of the story. I have been to a number of Meet the Manager nights at Vale, all of which have been very well attended and I've always come away pleased I went and feeling I'd learnt a bit more about what was going on behind the scenes. Both Rudgie and Adams were always excellent value and never resorted to cliches. It's just so disappointing.

If I was Rob Page, I'd invite the 29 who could be bothered for a drink in the Directors' Lounge and take the opportunity of putting his side of the story.

I have no doubt there is some benefit to them, but people lead busy lives and the appetite is obviously not there.

As for fans who have an awful lot to say, that's the beauty of these forums they're a sounding board for people who want to have a bit of a rant sometimes, doesn't meant that they necessary want to do that at one of these events. In my opinion of course ......

I agree.

This is the equivalent to fans getting together in the pub to discuss their team... without the pub.

If page doesnt know whats wrong he is the wrong man for the job, he doesnt need telling what fans think is wrong because fans dont know, they just have an opinion of what they think is wrong based of what they see on the pitch.

Archived