onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page gets the Job

I can't say I'm deliriously happy with this decision but, as Page oversaw the great escape, Smurf's decision is at least understandable.

I hope for the club's sake he gets it right.

Page oversaw the great escape?

Are you for real?!!

Page got us in that mess with 1 win in the last 11 games.

Please, please, dont say we were "doomed" when he took over.

There were 38 games to go in a 46 game season and we were 5 points behind Preston.

In no way have we done a "Great Escape".

Advert

I support the club, not the manager- if you're not renewing after 15 years then it's not because of the man in the dugout is it

Yukon, you're making a lot of sense with your posts on this. I'm not a fan of Page , but let's see what happens with

backroom changes. As always , the club does come first, and it's Port Vale till I die.

Why has Smurf threatened Page with seeing where we are in September?

Last year we had a squad of Adams' players, then he leaves in September. So Page had a squad players he might not want.

If Page gets sacked in September, we will have a squad of Page players. Then the new manager has a squad of players he might not want.

Your ability to talk out of your arsé knows no bounds.

Instead of attacking the poster and not the post be specific. If you cannot offer as such then i'm afraid it is you that is talking out your rectum.

Please, please, dont say we were "doomed" when he took over.

There were 38 games to go in a 46 game season and we were 5 points behind Preston.

In no way have we done a "Great Escape".

This is what I really don't get when people keep wheeling it out. He had 114 points to play for and we staved off relegation with one week to spare.

That sounds like they will be found roles somewhere within the club, which if true, begs the question WHY for Futch sake?!

They are out-of-contract, so why the hell do they have to be kept on in any capacity? (and before anyone states that Glover is a good youth coach, I know people that worked at Stone Dominoes when he was in charge there who said that he was utterly clueless tactically and motivationally - something that has ALWAYS struck me when hearing him speak/drone on throughout his numerous woeful spells as coach, assistant manager, caretaker manager, manager).

And having Grew scouting would be a pathetic decision too. Do we really want to be putting any trust in him checking out potential players &/or opposition teams?! I fail to see what Grew adds to the club.

I agree, but that's what I was told. Presume they're heading back to the youth department in some capacity. Not ideal, but at least they're not going to be involved in the 1st team.

As I've said before, I wasn't really for or against Page staying on. He hasn't really convinced me fully that he's going to be an amazing manager, but at the same time, we were playing well and getting results before the Swindon game. He was in charge 38 games, his average points per game totals out at 59 points over 46 games when you do the sums. That was enough for most people last year under Adams, why is not now?

In my opinion a lot of people's views are being skewed by the poor run at the end. Totally understandable, but if you look at the whole of his period in charge he's not done a terrible job. Not great, but not catastrophic either. It's not as if he took over and we plummeted down the league. We were already down there, picked ourselves up and then lost our way again. Less of the last 2 months and more of the first 5 months and we have a good manager.

He's a rookie manager and he's made some mistakes. Which 1st time manager hasn't made mistakes? As long as he's learnt from the mistakes then he'll be a better manager for it. He's been given the job, now is the time to back him as supporters and see what he can do with his own backroom staff and players. It's going to be an interesting summer.

I'm sure he hasn't learnt from his mistakes. 2-0 down Saturday and we brought birchall on, that's been tried and tested numerous times this season and never worked.

My view isn't skewed by the terrible run it's been the terrible football on show all season. And to be fair with 1 win in 11 page should have gone.

Since when is it ok just to do as well as the season before? Surely we should be looking to move forward. We wouldn't have got the same points because we wouldn't break out of this run and besides hitting 59 again isn't anything special as i say a club should be looking to advance. It's been a much weaker league this time hence the bottom 5 getting so many points and we should have picked up many more than we have (if we had a manager that tried to win matches )

One thing Page really needs to look at is why we seem to run out of steam around February. This is at least four seasons now where we have struggled to pick up points after February and cannot be a coincidence.

Mickey's pre-season model left a lot to be desired. His aim to be the fittest team in the league always seemed to come into question for me at around 70 minutes on opening day, when our entire 1st team would be blowing out of their ****. Walsall at home this season for instance.

He wanted them running big distances, over hills in the old-school way. The modern Sports Science methods suggest that running short sprints, over and over again instead of big long runs, is more beneficial to footballers as it replicates 90 minutes in a football game better.

When everyone else is doing it differently, you have to call the methods into question.

One thing Page really needs to look at is why we seem to run out of steam around February. This is at least four seasons now where we have struggled to pick up points after February and cannot be a coincidence.

All I can think of is fatigue, either physical, mental or a combination of both. How many other teams have the same problem? Do Prem teams avoid it with rotating squads?

I'm sure he hasn't learnt from his mistakes. 2-0 down Saturday and we brought birchall on, that's been tried and tested numerous times this season and never worked.

My view isn't skewed by the terrible run it's been the terrible football on show all season. And to be fair with 1 win in 11 page should have gone.

Since when is it ok just to do as well as the season before? Surely we should be looking to move forward. We wouldn't have got the same points because we wouldn't break out of this run and besides hitting 59 again isn't anything special as i say a club should be looking to advance. It's been a much weaker league this time hence the bottom 5 getting so many points and we should have picked up many more than we have (if we had a manager that tried to win matches )

Potential for Birchall to get a last runout for Vale before being released? We shall see in the last few days. Page has said in the paper this morning that this wasn't his team, which suggests there will be some changes. I don't think he really trusted many of the players to get the job done, hence the limited changes we saw in the side.

The football hasn't been terrible all season. We lost one game at home in the league from Barnsley to Crewe, during which time we played some good stuff and got good results. We didn't play as well away from home prior to March, something for him to work on. The run at the end was poor, we all know this.

It's ok to do as well as the season before when you have 5 points from the 1st 8 games I would think, with terrible signings and rock bottom morale. I would think any target for Page next season has to be looking to get us back in the top-half of the table with a sneaky run at the playoffs if possible. I'm not sure how you think it's a weaker league than last time around. 59 points put us in the top 10 last time, but would have been good enough for 14th this time round.

It's ok to do as well as the season before when you have 5 points from the 1st 8 games I would think, with terrible signings and rock bottom morale. I would think any target for Page next season has to be looking to get us back in the top-half of the table with a sneaky run at the playoffs if possible. I'm not sure how you think it's a weaker league than last time around. 59 points put us in the top 10 last time, but would have been good enough for 14th this time round.

I agree with this view. There were four teams that stood out; Bristol City, MK Dons, Preston and Yeovil. The rest of the division has been pretty much even so it came down to which team could put a run together. A bad run and you soon found trouble. Vale got themselves out of it. Notts County didn't. Colchester looked dead and buried, yet put a run together just at the right time.

I'm not sure the League was weak and will be weaker next year holds true.

I can't see big-spending Wigan or Millwall resting easy and Shrewsbury have a bigger budget. They spent the best part of 200k on Barnett.

Swindon are a good team and Bradford won at Chelsea, apart from having a budget x3 of ours.

Peterboro spend like water. Fleetwood are bankrolled by a millionaire. So are Scunthorpe. Barnsley & Doncaster have much bigger spending power and gates, as do Chesterfield. Coventry, potentially, are huge. Both PNE and SU can't both go up, so one one them will stay down.

I think you're deluding yourself if you think it's going to be easier.

I think Davies at Crewe reckons it gets more difficult each year and for us to compete with the teams above is an achievement. Their spending power is way way above what we have.

I think Page was lucky. Lucky that Innis made such an impact. We actually only flirted with play offs when he was here. Look at the results since he went back.

Innis did what Page, Glover or Grew couldnt, that is organise our defence. says everything.....

Archived