onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Page gets the Job

Advert

In all fairness I don't think Smurf has properly considered this decision. Page obviously wont take us any further. Why should an extra few months make any difference?

Particularly with the fact there is no money to bring any new players in. A season of mediocrity awaits i'm afraid

I was very Pro-page until recently especially after Saturday. After what he said before our last game I expected him to play a few youngsters I honestly do not think people would have minded the defeat if he had done that. Instead we had an uninspiring display by players who we know (bar a few) are not good enough or interested enough.

Fair play to Smurf though if he gives Page the opportunity to wield a reasonable budget and then bring in his own staff. Brown has really impressed me this season and I hope he can instil his professionalism and attitude throughout the squad. Plus Smurf is giving Page a pre season to get his views, tactics and ideas across to a group of his own choosing.

I think Smurf has been fair to Page and the supporters. Page kept us up which is what was asked of him. Having said that his negative tactics and recent results has effectively put him back on trial again but this time with no get out clause. I back Smurf and my team but all the Vale fans are reserving their judgment on Page. It will be his team and his back room team. No excuses.

It's good that page gets one more go at it,there's a lot of managers available but they are available mostly because they have failed in there previous managerial role,so why should they succeed at the vale.

This yet again has the hallmark of a potential fiasco. Why? Because Smurf has already piled the pressure on Page even before he starts by publicly only giving him until September anyway if results by then are not good. He is hedging his bets by saying to supporters I will sack him if early results don't go well and bring someone else in. If that happens we end up with another manager over the rest of the season potentially having to work with a squad that is not his. What happens if pre-season results don't go well and we say lose the first 2/3 games. What happens if he keeps Grew and Glover as backroom staff and also keeps faith with most of the current squad? The pressure would be so intense that already fans would want an instant change.

It was clear a while ago that Smurf wanted Page as manager and I said at the time that he would only re-consider this if things went pear-shaped at the back end of the season; which it did. In the end Smurf has stuck by his man and supporters will either accept this or not. My hope is that in the end this does not come back to bite Norman on the backside. If it does 2015-16 season could end up as a long hard one.

It seems to me that Smurf tasked Page to keep the club up so we could write off the season and start afresh. By hook or by crook, and some of it wasn't very pretty, Rob Page kept us in this league, so in that sense, job done. Page will be more aware than anyone that we can't repeat this season, so will have to lose the players who are treading water at this level, and be bold with his appointments and signings - fair enough, we need a rid out and some better players, especially in defence.

All Smurf is doing by saying that Page has until the end of September is doing what a lot of chairmen in the modern era do - hold the manager and players to account over a short enough time period of time to see if they can turn things around, and if it doesn't happen, give the next manager enough time to do so. My only concern is that we will repeat the cycle, and give the next manager the excuse Page has had - "Of course, these are not your players, we understand you inherited something that was not yours" - and on we go. Up the Vale.

The biggest and most important decision has been made and Smurf has offered a new contract to Page.The next big decision(s) will now have to come from Page.What happens with Glover and Grew should be his first decisionThen as soon as he has made his mind up with that he can then concentrate on the actual squad.His decision on what happens with Glover and Grew could be a huge factor in what path his own new contract takes after September.Smurf has given him his chance to get in his own backroom staff and squad(within the budget).So its now upto Page to pay back Smurf for showing faith and trust in him and to win over the fans that doubt him.Good luck Rob Page I hope this works out for first of all the club,its fans and then for Rob Page himself.If those two work out then Port Vale and Smurf are on a winner.

IF for whatever reason it looks like he is going to fail then it looks like there is a plan B on the table what ever that plan may be.

I'm not surprised that Page will get his chance with what will be his own squad. He's lucky in so much as there are a lot of players out of contract who can be released to free up budget and spaces if he so chooses. I just hope he's a decent judge of players and he doesn't really think being overly defensive is the way to success.

In all fairness I don't think Smurf has properly considered this decision. Page obviously wont take us any further. Why should an extra few months make any difference?

Particularly with the fact there is no money to bring any new players in. A season of mediocrity awaits i'm afraid

So who would you have offered the manager contract to?

Name three realistic managers and what contract you would have offered them?

What budget would have offered them?

What would be your expectations and in what timescale?

Can someone please tell me if he is likely to get rid of Grew and Glover. I will base my decision on whether this is a good appointment on what he does with these two. If Norman is giving him the option of bringing in who he wants as back room staff then surely they are goners?

Can't say I'm happy but I hope to god the defending of the players recently was so he got the most out of them to get to safety. If he really believed what he was saying then I'm very worried.

The retained list both for players and backroom staff will probably reveal the truth.

I'm not surprised that Page will get his chance with what will be his own squad. He's lucky in so much as there are a lot of players out of contract who can be released to free up budget and spaces if he so chooses. I just hope he's a decent judge of players and he doesn't really think being overly defensive is the way to success.

So hope he's very different from the Page of this season then.....

Fingers crossed!

Can someone please tell me if he is likely to get rid of Grew and Glover. I will base my decision on whether this is a good appointment on what he does with these two. If Norman is giving him the option of bringing in who he wants as back room staff then surely they are goners?

I certainly hope they are shipped out.His decision on these two could very well decide his own future.

Archived