onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yeovil T 1 Port Vale 2 Post Match Comments

Fosse69

What I can't understand is that a large body of opinion on here thinks that our squad is made up of poor players. I read regularly that Dodds, Williamson, Yates, Dicko, Birchall, Robertson and Co are League 2 players at best yet a rookie manager is being criticised for not getting them into a challenging position in League One? Either the players are crap so Page has done well to keep them up or Page is crap because the players are far better than those on here claim and he should have done better with them.

Personally, after the start we had under Mad Micky I'm just happy we will be in this League next year. I don't want Grew there and I don't want Glover there. I'm in two minds about Page. He seems to be a decent coach but it's true that some of his team selections in that bad run were bizarre. I suspect his tendency to negativity comes from the fact that he is desperate not to lose games and see us in the mire when he doesn't have the safety of a contract beyond June. If he is not here next season we will have to take a risk on another young, untried manager or else on an out of work guy who is out of work because he has failed elsewhere. We will not attract anyone currently successful, in a job with experience of League football because i) we won't pay enough and ii) why would anyone of that ilk come to a club with only 4,000 fans most of whome are miserable, moaning *******s?!!

And with regard to late goals, I think views are being distorted by the fact that we let two in in consecutive away games. In Page's first game we won in the last minute against Barnsley. We got a draw against Bradford in the last minute. We twice took points of Gillingham in injury time and that equalising pen against Preston was pretty late. Was that because all those defences were rubbish like ours or is it just the way it goes during a season?

Advert

What I can't understand is that a large body of opinion on here thinks that our squad is made up of poor players. I read regularly that Dodds, Williamson, Yates, Dicko, Birchall, Robertson and Co are League 2 players at best yet a rookie manager is being criticised for not getting them into a challenging position in League One? Either the players are crap so Page has done well to keep them up or Page is crap because the players are far better than those on here claim and he should have done better with them.

Personally, after the start we had under Mad Micky I'm just happy we will be in this League next year. I don't want Grew there and I don't want Glover there. I'm in two minds about Page. He seems to be a decent coach but it's true that some of his team selections in that bad run were bizarre. I suspect his tendency to negativity comes from the fact that he is desperate not to lose games and see us in the mire when he doesn't have the safety of a contract beyond June. If he is not here next season we will have to take a risk on another young, untried manager or else on an out of work guy who is out of work because he has failed elsewhere. We will not attract anyone currently successful, in a job with experience of League football because i) we won't pay enough and ii) why would anyone of that ilk come to a club with only 4,000 fans most of whome are miserable, moaning *******s?!!

And with regard to late goals, I think views are being distorted by the fact that we let two in in consecutive away games. In Page's first game we won in the last minute against Barnsley. We got a draw against Bradford in the last minute. We twice took points of Gillingham in injury time and that equalising pen against Preston was pretty late. Was that because all those defences were rubbish like ours or is it just the way it goes during a season?

Another sensible post Jacko.

Of course, you're well placed to comment on how well you feel we've done this season and your thoughts about next season's prospects. I'd just find it odd if you were arguing about the finer details of today's match, about why it was that we conceded etc

Of course he can comment, if he was listening to RS or VP he heard Phil Sproson, a Vale legend, an ex-professional footballer, who works in the game of football, a guy with a knowledgeable eye for the game whose comments about important events in past Vale games (goals scored/sending off's etc) have been validated by highlights on Valiant Player, who's probably a lot closer to the club and its goings on than any fan, give expert analysis on the game not just once but many times over the 90 mins, analysis that is certain to be just as, if not more insightful and accurate than any supporter could give and it just so happens that his analysis of the key moments has been ratified by some people who went to the game and have since posted on OVF.

Heavens above, there were fans who go to the games who wanted Chris Neal left out of the team a few weeks back, what sort of comment/opinion was that.

Cant stand being there , cant stand not being there. Therefore Page has to go , if only for my sanity. I wont follow anything blindly , I have a mind.

Yeah, because getting someone else in will definitely 100% change things for the better and of course good managers come cheap.

Oh and a new manager would want a budget and maybe his own staff....that's OK, we'll pay it out of ST sales that aren't happening because some of our "fans" are unhappy after a mediocre season preceded by an excellent season and a promotion the year before that.

Page hasn't employed negative tactics he's just trying to make Vale difficult to beat/not concede goals, Mourihno has this philosophy. The games we lost out of the last ca 10 were lost by the odd goal not by 3 or 4 apart from the debacle at Orient. Only one football team in history of footbal could guarantee to score more than the opposition and they won the World Cup in 1970.

Page hasn't employed negative tactics he's just trying to make Vale difficult to beat/not concede goals, Mourihno has this philosophy. The games we lost out of the last ca 10 were lost by the odd goal not by 3 or 4 apart from the debacle at Orient. Only one football team in history of footbal could guarantee to score more than the opposition and they won the World Cup in 1970.

If he was trying g to make us hard to beat he certainly made a pigs ear of it!

Yeah, because getting someone else in will definitely 100% change things for the better and of course good managers come cheap.

Oh and a new manager would want a budget and maybe his own staff....that's OK, we'll pay it out of ST sales that aren't happening because some of our "fans" are unhappy after a mediocre season preceded by an excellent season and a promotion the year before that.

Your right I am unhappy after a pretty awful season. The football especially at home has been dire (Preston and Mk dons matches excluded), were just rubbish to watch. Manager is the most important in the staff for me, we should be looking to bring in the best we can and not stick for 'mediocre'. It might not change things for the better (although that seems pretty difficult) but even so I would certainly take the risk.

Micky Adams had just 10 games of this season, 2 being cup. So Page has had ample opportunities to either bring in players or choose the better players of those he's had available to him.

He's made baffling decisions, for example playing 1 up front ( Williamson ) at home against Crewe, then playing 2 up front away at Barnsley - surely it should be the other way around, if any ??

He's picked inferior quality players on numerous occasions, when he's had better on the bench - birchall offers little, yet he's had a good portion of the season making starts or sub appearances, yet there has been the likes of Moore, Coullaby available a number of times. He became under so much pressure to play Moore that he gave in away at Bristol City and he played a blinder..

Coullaby came on as sub the other week at home to Colchester and gave them more problems in 5 mins than they had seen in the previous 60 mins, yet it took us to go 1 down before he made the change of bringing him & Pope on.

It took an age before he played Streete... We go to Rochdale,in desperate need of a result and he drops our most dangerous and arguably best midfielder in O'Connor for his Welsh youngster O'sullivan - on the basis that Ochy apparently can't now play 2 games in quick succession and because O'sullivan had scored twice for the U21's .. What rubbish! His subs in that game compared to his counterpart just told the whole story and summed the bloke up. Keith hill goes for the win, Page seeks the draw...

Scunthorpe away, he takes off Marshall who'd had 2/3 players on him as they couldn't handle his direct play. He's replaced with Birchall, the threat has gone and down that side they begin to attack and keep bombing balls in the box...

These are just games from recent memory, he's a negative manager. Whether that is because of Glover's influence I don't know ( don't tell me you've not noticed his sneaky advice at home and his more visible input away games ) but to be honest, i don't care because if it is, then he's not really managerial material is he - the monkey and organ grinder springs to mind. He may of been a decent coach, but I'm seriously questioning his ability to manage, as in sure the players are when they see him being told what to do by DG and some of his bizarre decisions.

Neal saved his bacon yesterday and it should never of even had come to it.

Micky Adams had just 10 games of this season, 2 being cup. So Page has had ample opportunities to either bring in players or choose the better players of those he's had available to him.

He's made baffling decisions, for example playing 1 up front ( Williamson ) at home against Crewe, then playing 2 up front away at Barnsley - surely it should be the other way around, if any ??

He's picked inferior quality players on numerous occasions, when he's had better on the bench - birchall offers little, yet he's had a good portion of the season making starts or sub appearances, yet there has been the likes of Moore, Coullaby available a number of times. He became under so much pressure to play Moore that he gave in away at Bristol City and he played a blinder..

Coullaby came on as sub the other week at home to Colchester and gave them more problems in 5 mins than they had seen in the previous 60 mins, yet it took us to go 1 down before he made the change of bringing him & Pope on.

It took an age before he played Streete... We go to Rochdale,in desperate need of a result and he drops our most dangerous and arguably best midfielder in O'Connor for his Welsh youngster O'sullivan - on the basis that Ochy apparently can't now play 2 games in quick succession and because O'sullivan had scored twice for the U21's .. What rubbish! His subs in that game compared to his counterpart just told the whole story and summed the bloke up. Keith hill goes for the win, Page seeks the draw...

Scunthorpe away, he takes off Marshall who'd had 2/3 players on him as they couldn't handle his direct play. He's replaced with Birchall, the threat has gone and down that side they begin to attack and keep bombing balls in the box...

These are just games from recent memory, he's a negative manager. Whether that is because of Glover's influence I don't know ( don't tell me you've not noticed his sneaky advice at home and his more visible input away games ) but to be honest, i don't care because if it is, then he's not really managerial material is he - the monkey and organ grinder springs to mind. He may of been a decent coach, but I'm seriously questioning his ability to manage, as in sure the players are when they see him being told what to do by DG and some of his bizarre decisions.

Completely agree with that

Great post. Please email it to smurf so he can be reminded why he should not renew pages or the other coaches contracts

Excellent Post :yes:

I've just watched Chelsea, who have some of the most talented players in the land, play without strikers and adopting the most negative tactics I've seen all season. Mourinho wouldn't last a month in Burslem! ;)

I agree, he wouldn't. I Think Page is indeed trying to play the Chelsea way - Nick a goal, sit deep and soak up pressure. The difference is, you need to have a very sound defence to play that style and Chelsea are the bery best in this area. Our defence - I really don't need to say anything do i.....

The same applied to the Dean Glover reign. To play that style, you need a team full of quality.

Unfortunately, we are a league 1 outfit and its horses for courses.

To compare our tactics and use Chelsea as an attempt to endorse it is laughable to be honest.

Archived