onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yeovil T 1 Port Vale 2 Post Match Comments

Fosse69

Advert

Said we were safe before the Yeovil game based on whether we would be caught and not whether we could be caught but I was a nervous wreck before we got the winner..don't want to look an idiot on here after all (more im portant than Vale's result;) ). My wife couldn't watch after Yeovil equalised and she supports Droylsden!!!

For me we looked a bit pedestrian and no forward momentum...I think these players are capable of much more but need the shackles taken off.

Are you on the wind up?

Of course its different, this is top class premiership sides of course they can play one up top! Look at their creative midfielders, Ozil, sanchez, Ramsey, Cazorla all played so no by my process Arsenal should have played one up top as they did.

That is completely different to vale, I wouldnt mind one up top with the right players behind him when Page plays the 4231 formation its with the wrong striker and wrong supporting players. If we were to do that our front 4 would have to be Marshall, Dodds, Coulibaly and Pope. Again Arsenal were at home, to the best side in English football it would be silly to play two up top. In league 1 football against the likes of Crawley and Colchester there is no need to play a lone striker.

No it's not different, Arsenal have nothing to play for now after the draw with Chelsea, they had absolutely, absolutely nothing to lose so they should have gone for it by your logic and not just played with 1 striker up front.

Vale started with O'Connor, Marshall, Brown and Dodds, all attacking midfield players at the level Vale play, with Williamson and Pope as strikers therefore comparatively level to level a more attacking line up than Arsenal. Only when Ramsey (?) got hurt did Wenger bring on Walcott as a second stiker and try to take the game to Chelsea and go for the win. Wenger set up his team to be hard to beat yet he had to win to have any, any chance of the title. Can't explain it any more simple.

No it's not different, Arsenal have nothing to play for now after the draw with Chelsea, they had absolutely, absolutely nothing to lose so they should have gone for it by your logic and not just played with 1 striker up front.

Vale started with O'Connor, Marshall, Brown and Dodds, all attacking midfield players at the level Vale play, with Williamson and Pope as strikers therefore comparatively level to level a more attacking line up than Arsenal. Only when Ramsey (?) got hurt did Wenger bring on Walcott as a second stiker and try to take the game to Chelsea and go for the win. Wenger set up his team to be hard to beat yet he had to win to have any, any chance of the title. Can't explain it any more simple.

Did you actually watch the match?

Arsenal took the game to Chelsea from the off and actually went more defensive in the second half.

Once again it is completely different, and they did go for it, just because they had one up top dosent mean they didnt. As I have explained it is a much more effective formation when your attacking midfielders are Ozil, Sanchez, Ramsey and Cazorla, that is 4 attacking mids and then a striker. Now to play two up top as you suggest would mess up their formation and mean dropping one of those 4 for Welbeck, which would probably weaken their attacking ability.

Arsenal have probably the best attacking mids in the league and can therefor play that formation quite easily, theyve battered many sides using it this season. As for vale in league 1 the formation dosent work as well, you mention Brown and Oconnor as attacking mids; I personally would say they are middle of the road, Brown more defensive than attacking. It may well be the level that vale play but you cant be telling me that the likes of Dodds are actually better than most defences we play? Where as in the premierships Arsenals are. 442 can be seen as more attacking but when arsenal end up with a minimum of 5 up top (full backs most times as well) I would say that their formation is more offensive.

My point is I think it is different, simply because of the quality of those players, to play 1 up top you have to have a host of quality supporting midfielders and I dont think we do

Did you actually watch the match?

My point is I think it is different, simply because of the quality of those players, to play 1 up top you have to have a host of quality supporting midfielders and I dont think we do

Yes I did watch the match.

Obviously Vale don't have midfied players of the quality of Arsenal but the point is Wenger made his team more difficult to beat by only playing one striker and effectively 5 in midfield. If it hadn't been for two poor refereeing decisions (the two penalties in the 1st half that should have been given) Arsenal would most likely have lost.

Why did he bring Walcott on in the 2nd half rather than another midfield player.

Because he brought him on for giroud.....

Once again in terms of the premiership arsenal have some of the best midfielders so can play that formation. In terms of league 1 we don't and don't have enough up top when we only play 1.

For me I don't think we have the strikers to play one up top, that role is a combination of all of our strikers in terms of having strong hold up play, pace and the ability to create your own chances.

It also relies heavily on quick support from midfield and Marshall aside we don't have real pace or great engines in there, it's why Lofty has been such a big loss.

For me I don't think we have the strikers to play one up top, that role is a combination of all of our strikers in terms of having strong hold up play, pace and the ability to create your own chances.

It also relies heavily on quick support from midfield and Marshall aside we don't have real pace or great engines in there, it's why Lofty has been such a big loss.

I agree

Because he brought him on for giroud.....

Once again in terms of the premiership arsenal have some of the best midfielders so can play that formation. In terms of league 1 we don't and don't have enough up top when we only play 1.

Most people would accept that playing two or more strikers up top is a more attacking formation and greater intent to attack than playing none or one striker at any level of football. The point was made that some of the best managers in English Football, Mourhino and Wenger, play a style of football based on the philosophy of making it more difficult to concede, Chelsea and Arsenal did it at the weekend and Rob Page adopted a similar philosophy which led to safety in Lge 1 for Vale.

That wasn't the point of the discussion.

Archived