onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

(OVF) Smurthwaite criticises Adams’ summer deals

Guest OVF Feature

Guest OVF Feature

Norman Smurthwaite has told BBC Radio Stoke that former manager Micky Adams “bought some players quickly” in the summer after...

More...

This is an automated feed from the OVF front page

Advert

all water under the bridge

Well not really - I think Norman's point was the opposite in that if the previous manager was distracted and rushed to buy players without thinking it through, then the same players are still contracted at the club and it could be argued are hampering the new manager's ability to pick his own team.

Been banging this drum for months. We were always Adams 2nd choice, to almost anywhere that offered him a job. His heart wasn't in at the start of the season, which showed in the performances and results. I'm a big fan of Smurf, but I think he got played. Best all round for everyone would have been to part ways with Mickey at the end of last season and start afresh.

For a start, any manager with his heart in it would have known that back 4 (particularly the central defenders) didn't have many clean sheets in them. The 1st time we make a signing in defence, and we keep our 3rd clean sheet of the season. We have have some good 1st teamers (Neal, O'Connor, Marshall, Pope) but we're average in most other positions. Hopefully Page/Smurf will look at the squad in the summer and ask themselves whether the player is good enough to get us in the playoffs, or has the potential to be at that level in the next 18 months. If the answer is no, then we should get rid. There's no loyalty in football anymore. If we're ruthless with the existing squad, we may just be able to put a good squad together.

This is all a bit messy to me. Norm surely had some input into the summer signings seeing as he foots the bills? I've no reason to doubt what he says but if true it suggests he's still somewhere low down on the learning curve of running a football club, let's hope he's climbing it quickly and these experiences become a thing of the past.

Are you beginning to understand why I was so anti?

I think you were anti because you have/ had an agenda. MA ****ed you off because you betrayed both him and the fans, and you couldn't handle it. You now seem to have a similar agenda with NS, whether it's because he won't re-employ you or whatever. I do wish you'd stop grinding your axe on Radio Stoke when you're supposed to be commentating though.

I think you were anti because you have/ had an agenda. MA ****ed you off because you betrayed both him and the fans, and you couldn't handle it. You now seem to have a similar agenda with NS, whether it's because he won't re-employ you or whatever. I do wish you'd stop grinding your axe on Radio Stoke when you're supposed to be commentating though.

You are very mis-informed my friend. I left because I could not work with MOLD, unlike Adams. Ask me if I would work for Smurf and I would laugh in your face. Do me a favour.

I think you'd need to be pretty naive to think Adams was ever interested in anyone but his own best interests. That line when he left about not wanting to fall out with the fans etc was pure bull****!

He'd have been an absolute mug to go to Blackpool, and it is reasonable to think he knew the Tranmere job would be becoming available soon after he left.

I'll always remember his promotion year with us.....but am I the only one who will have a little chuckle if Rovers go down?

Archived