onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer window

LancyTony

I haven't looked forward to a transfer window opening, since the days of Bill Bell doing his usual trick of selling our top player, just days before the season starts, and wondering who Rudgie was going to find as a replacement?

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting seeing which young star-in-the-making will be signing for us; whether some of our fringe players might be shipped out, to free up some cash for some new first-teamers coming in?

Heady days!:yes:

Advert

Would just like new full backs and a 10 to 15 goal a season striker please. Yates not good enough at fault for Swindons and Coventrys goals. Dicko past it now and on too higher wage. Two big athletic full backs a must in the new year.

Couldn't agree more. Both full-back positions are weak links in the team and need improving.

Also, Veseli needs signing up long-term as he is far better than the other options we have at centre-back, all of whom are distinctly average.

A worrying thing for me is that in recent weeks Page has stated that :-

i) He wants to keep Birchall as he is in his long-term plans

ii) "Willo is massive to this club and to me. He is perfect for how I want to play"

Those two are nowhere near good enough if we want to be up the top end of this division and both should be jettisoned at the end of the season.

I expect Jennings to make his loan move permanent. Slew obviously won't be kept either. I don't know how much room in the budget will be created but Page needs to wheel and deal the fringe players and create room for improvement in the squad. Moore needs to go somewhere to clear his head and get some game time and match fitness.

Veseli needs his future sorting out. I never thought I'd hear myself say I'd be disappointed if he left six weeks ago. The fact that Micky bought both of our current central defensive partnership with the intention of playing right back says a lot about him signing square pegs, and also the quality of his first choice central defenders.

We also need a bit more clarity about the endless stream of players who we seem to sign and then lock away in a cupboard, nowhere to be seen. I said after the Coventry defeat that Page inherited an unbalanced squad and it's important he gets the opportunity to rebuild it in his vision with players he actually trusts enough to pick.

Left back and right back please. Said it before that Yates isnt a good enough player to consistently start in league 1, decent squad player but not a first teamer. Dickinson is just not near the standard. Said all along Veseli had quality, the best bit of business could well be signing him up permanently if possible.

Couldn't agree more. Both full-back positions are weak links in the team and need improving.

Also, Veseli needs signing up long-term as he is far better than the other options we have at centre-back, all of whom are distinctly average.

A worrying thing for me is that in recent weeks Page has stated that :-

i) He wants to keep Birchall as he is in his long-term plans

ii) "Willo is massive to this club and to me. He is perfect for how I want to play"

Those two are nowhere near good enough if we want to be up the top end of this division and both should be jettisoned at the end of the season.

Those 2 points sum him up as a manager.

Signing Veseli for the next 18 months minimum is the key move for the window. Dickinson isn't the greatest but he was improving under Page when Marshall was in front of him, as Marshall tracks back whereas he is often left 2 on 1 when N Guessan plays on the left. Is Dickinson likely to get the same wage at another club? Probably not. Does he need to leave to play first team football? No, as he's already got that here. Come February 1st, Dickinson will still be our left back, rightly or wrongly.

Sadly, some are a lot less forgiving when Yates has a bad game. He's had considerably fewer poor games than many so called favourites (O'Connor, Duffy, Williamson).

Looking at the squad and in terms of Smurfs project of player development and signing quality young players......

The coaching staff needs an upgrade and paying an experienced manager like Uwe Rossler to guide to project.

So without the deadwood mates......... Dickinson/Yates/Robertson//Daniel/Birchall/Williamson.....most of whom Page will offer contracts;

GK Neal

GK Johnson

LB Deen-Conteh

CB/LB Greenidge

CB/LB McGivern

CB/RB Duffy

CB/RB Veseli

DM Brown/O'Connor

AM Lines/Dodds

Wingers Marshall/Moore/Andoh/Lloyd

Strikers Pope/N'Guessan/Campion/Nimely

Presumably Smurf would look to sign half a dozen Premiership Academy graduates with various U21 honours and seek out some of the best 20/21/22

year olds from those released every year......obviously a couple of defenders and a couple of midfielders along with a young striker and another winger......but will Page play them.......Smurf does seem to be a man with a plan.

Archived