onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tues 21st Oct 2014, Port Vale v Scunthorpe, pre-match, the match itself.

Fosse69

I still believe that to keep a clean sheet the Defenders need to focus on defending. What is the point of Yates/Dicko roaming up the pitch and leaving massive pockets of open space? Yates is an attacking full back so my gripe isn't with him so much, but Dicko shouldn't be going high up the pitch. If we had a back four that stuck tight and played like 4 centre halfs we'd be much more solid defensively. Then we don't need the wingers to protect as much.

Again, what's the point of having Marshalll/Moore/Dodds defending when they sgould be up the other end causing more damage? If we can allow the wingers to stay up the pitch, this in turn means the opposition will either leave players back to defend OR send them up anyway and allow us to be dangerous on the counter.

My team tomorrow night would be:

---------------------Neal--------------------

----------------------------------------------

-----Streete--Duffy--McGivern--Dicko-----

-------------O'Connor--Brown--------------

--------------------Dodds-------------------

--Marshall--------------------------Moore--

---------------------Pope-------------------

Dodds to support the wingers in an attacking sense as opposed to the full backs. In turn, O'Connor/Brown to support the full backs as opposed to the wingers. Leave both wingers up the other end of the pitch on corners. Bring Williamson on after 65 minutes (score/performance depending) as off the bench he is a handful but starting games he doesn't look the same player.

Advert

I still believe that to keep a clean sheet the Defenders need to focus on defending. What is the point of Yates/Dicko roaming up the pitch and leaving massive pockets of open space? Yates is an attacking full back so my gripe isn't with him so much, but Dicko shouldn't be going high up the pitch. If we had a back four that stuck tight and played like 4 centre halfs we'd be much more solid defensively. Then we don't need the wingers to protect as much.

Again, what's the point of having Marshalll/Moore/Dodds defending when they sgould be up the other end causing more damage? If we can allow the wingers to stay up the pitch, this in turn means the opposition will either leave players back to defend OR send them up anyway and allow us to be dangerous on the counter.

Dodds to support the wingers in an attacking sense as opposed to the full backs. In turn, O'Connor/Brown to support the full backs as opposed to the wingers. Leave both wingers up the other end of the pitch on corners. Bring Williamson on after 65 minutes (score/performance depending) as off the bench he is a handful but starting games he doesn't look the same player.

Dicko shouldn't be on the pitch

Lines has been brilliant recently!

Dicko shouldn't be on the pitch

I'm hoping that if he sticks to his defensive duties and doesn't roam any further than the half way line, he might be okay. He doesn't have the pace as a full back to be able to attack and then get back to defend.

Having said this, if Zubar hadn't have been sent off I would have picked him over Dicko and put McGivern at LB. Can Greenidge (?) do a job?

Lines has been brilliant recently!

Only reason I didn't include Lines was because he's more effective up the pitch, therefore it was between him and Dodds. Only went for Dodds because of how well he links with Popey. Having said this, I wouldn't be disappointed if Lines was in that team over Dodds. I just don't want to see him in a holding role again (i.e. too deep like at the start of the season)

Goes without saying that we need a win tomorrow big time. We need big performances from the likes of Lines, O'Connor and Marshall. If these midfielders are on form then we always have a chance against anyone in this league.

Disappointing that we are in the bottom 4 again after a good win against Yeovil.

Problem is still quite clearly at the back, we haven't addressed the problems from last season. Seems like donkeys years since we last kept a clean sheet.:(

Rather worryingly Crewe have secured back-to-back wins and are only a couple of points behind us.:unsure:

2 **** poor teams. Think We might just pinch it though..2-1 Vale..att:3750

Scunthorpe wont bring many fans, so your gate guess is pretty much in line with our Tuesday average, and with bad weather predicted it may be a few less, I will go for 3612.

More importantly, this is the match where we keep a clean sheet but not at the cost of a win,a 0-0 may do uch for morale but a 4-3 gives 2 more points. Even so I am going for Vale 1-0 (Dodds).

Much as I am keen to see the potential of the new players, winning the game is crucial, and Streete, Greenridge or the new forward if he signs should not start. Steete should get some game time though, if at all possible - but I am one for letting themanager do his job, he has seen them train, knows their attitude and should be best placed to pick the right team for the job.

I'm hoping that if he sticks to his defensive duties and doesn't roam any further than the half way line, he might be okay. He doesn't have the pace as a full back to be able to attack and then get back to defend.

Having said this, if Zubar hadn't have been sent off I would have picked him over Dicko and put McGivern at LB. Can Greenidge (?) do a job?

why have we signed Greenidge?

Archived