onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New manager

cheshirevaliant

Lets be positive, how many people would love to manage Port Vale?, if you're a football nut its a dream job. An ex.Pro who wants to gain experience or someone who has been maybe wrongly sacked and wants another crack at management. They have made enough money from their playing days and love of football makes them want to do it ,someone suggested Robbie Fowler or Neil Aspin? I'm sure sacked Boss's have learned so much since being given the boot !! maybe Martin Foyle is a much better manager now than when he was here last time?, has anyone thought of Paul Ince (two promotions)? ..it's easy to think of people who are having brief spells of success like Gary Rowett at Burton .. do we really want to take a chance on him alone?

If it was my Business, I wouldn't take the risk , my way forward would be to appoint someone with knowledge of how a club like Port Vale is run, with it's limitations but reachable targets. In the old days it was called a General Manager, someone who has done it all, then a younger coach who he mentors until he has learned "how to manage" a football club...and take the pressure off him.

We have good,rated coaches at the Vale ,Rob Page ,Michael Brown ,Steve Mcphee I'm told is an excellent coach who could one day become our manager...but its no good( IMHO )just sacking all the staff to bring in an untried manager and gambling on the future.

Advert

Ince has been terrible since his first spell at MK Dons(1 promotion and FL Trophy) his record has gone down hill quickly. I know he was interviewed for the Shrewsbury job in the summer but Micky Mellon got it ahead of him.

It's a pity Chris Powell just got the Huddersfield job as he'd have been in the frame perhaps.

McDermott would be good for me if he'd come to a club like Vale in League One? His treatment at Leeds was a disgrace.

Having said that he has to be one of the most boring to listen to in interviews ever!:D But his teams certainly try to play football!

Brian McDermott plays good football and has recent Premiership and Championship experience.....Reading played some great stuff and McDermott

seems likeable and loyal....one of the good guys.......but most importantly seems good on player development and can spot a player always looking

to progress a club and build.....was unlucky at Reading and Leeds was a farce.....will have a good book of contacts and knowledge of the talent and potential going to waste in the higher divisions....but mostly the former Arsenal player likes to play proper football.

Other candidates are available.

Archived