onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

#adamsout?

Memphis

He's not alone. Which managers do walk, with no job to go too, without being sacked? I can't think of many/any. You make it sound likes he's a rare bread of mercenary.

Ruud Gullit did it at Newcastle and sought no compensation. Kevin Keegan did it for England. Both admitted they were no longer capable of doing the job effectively. As you say though, it's rare for it to happen.

Advert

In 2014 we have won 8 games and lost 16 which is relegation form. We have what appear better players, on paper at least, than last season but as a team we are dreadful. In the second half of the 1st match of the season against Walsall the signs of things to come were there.

The manager has been given the opportunity to bring in players but he appears to have no idea how to build a team. The tactics are the same as ever but this season we don't appear to have the physical advantage over other teams that we have in the past.

Be in no doubt that we will be in for a long hard season but if we don't change the manager then relegation is a distinct possibility. Those who say that Adams had bought himself time due to getting us promoted and our league position last year should think long and hard about that. If he stays until December I fear that we will be past the point of no return.

This is not a reaction to our start to this season but based on the statistics and tactics and performances for a long while.

Very hard to disagree with those stats Bert

Very worrying statistics.

I guess the main difference is Foyle had zero record of success with us and had thre club on a downward spiral, where as Adams has achieved things and has improved the league position in each of his seasons with us. Should that buy him a bit more time?

You have to go on what you've seen and make a decision looking forwards, not backwards. The only way you'd give Adams more time is if you think he's going to transform into a great tactician all of a sudden.

When a side gets promoted, certain players leave because a manager thinks the level above isn't quite suited to them. Think of somebody like John McCombe as an example. These players don't buy themselves more time if the manager thinks they aren't up to the step up.

Sacking a successful manager is a more difficult decision than sacking an unsuccessful one due to the sentimentality. There are parallels to where Brighton were in February 2009. It was his second spell and the fans had grew tired of his style there as well.

Without being ungracious I do believe MA has taken us as far as he can.

Without being ungracious I do believe MA has taken us as far as he can.

Unfortunately I think you may well be right. What annoys me is that there are far too many who are ungracious and down right offensive to a manager who has actually achieved things at our club. Throughout our history we've never achieved much success. We should be more appreciative of the ones who actually bring us some. If his time is up he goes with my thanks and best wishes.

What has been glaringly obvious for some time now, is that defensively we are cr*p. Goals conceded over the last season and now so far this, has shown one thing only;we needed signings of quality in defence. Where are they? MA has received Norman's backing in his search for players, so IMO there is only one person to blame. Whether the players' are motivated and trying is surely always down to the manager in any team? If Mickey can't 1) choose the right players to sign and 2) can't motivate the squad he's now built, there can only be one conclusion; we need someone else in charge. QED

Unfortunately I think you may well be right. What annoys me is that there are far too many who are ungracious and down right offensive to a manager who has actually achieved things at our club. Throughout our history we've never achieved much success. We should be more appreciative of the ones who actually bring us some. If his time is up he goes with my thanks and best wishes.

In terms of pure sentiment I agree George, but sentiment unfortunately will not bring us points! Sure MA has done good things during the time he's been in charge, but sadly, as I thought pre-season, the last campaign was probably the peak achievement for MA, we are currently headed downwards and probably his nadir--Norman shouldn't wait too long before assessing options.

Had a night to think about it, and I think its time to part company with Adams. Not just for the start of this season, but we have defended filpping awfully since the 2nd half of our promotion season, i.e 18 months! If you can't sort a defence out in 18mths, then I'd say out can't sort it out at all.

Also sick to death of EVERY team I watch us play being better on the ball than, sick of us not putting any pressure on refs then being surprised when we never get any decisions, sick of losing young talent like Morsy and Hugill, sick of the sluggish starts to games and sluggish to starts to the 2nd halfs.

I've been a big supporter of Adams, but he's been give great support by Smurf and were not far off a laughing stock at the moment. Time for a change.

I don't think we should sack him but I think sometimes he is his own worse enemy because he is stubborn, he has to consider that he may have got it wrong and try a different approach.

Last season we couldn't defend but we scored enough goals so it didn't cost us too much. That had to be addressed before the start of this season, or so I thought, One centre half and an inexperienced loanee right back back was all we got. Along with a seemingly never ending parade of midfielders and forwards. Unfortunately Adams insistence on 4-4-2 with two of them wide isn't getting the best out of all those midfielders. We are being overrun in midfield which puts pressure on the back four who crumble like a hob ***.

As much as I admire Adams achievements he has got to stop being stubborn. Its his job to manage the team, that means making the decisions but it doesnt mean he has to have to have all the ideas.

O connor and lines are decent ball players but they don't close people down quickly so we struggle to get possession of the ball. Whats even worse is that when we are in possession the opposition midfield outnumber us so they are able to press us and make us give the ball away. Its a vicious circle.

Whenever adams tries a different formation you get the impression that hes secretly hoping it wont work and at the first sign of trouble he switches back to his 4-4-2 like he did against Peterborough in the second half.

When we lose games he changes the personnel but the same issues remain which leaves him scratching his head. The answer is fairly obvious to me because if the same issues are there despite numerous different players filling those positions it must be the formation that isn't working. Lets be honest we have had the problem with our midfield unable to keep possession and our back four crumbling for at least two seasons possibly longer. The common denominator is the formation.

I don't want adams out but I do want 4-4-2 out.

I think we need someone sitting in front of the back four in a holding role and someone sitting behind Pope rather than alongside him.

4-1-3-1-1

That way we will have five in midfield when we aren't in possession because the fwd playing behind pope can drop back and when we are in possession that striker will be making a late run into the box when our wide men swing the ball in, difficult for the opposition to pick up.

Or he could play 4-3-3, the possibilities are there we just need to explore them.

I'm on the fence at the moment in re leaving Adams of his job, kevin_struggles is spot on, we are constantly getting over run and Lines and O connor are poor at closing down and with that we get found out with the poor defense we have. Adams should get the next 3 or 4 games to get it right.

The unfortunate thing is, he has built a squad where the defence is poor, the midfield suits a 4-3-3-/4-2-3-1, and the strikers suit a 4-4-2 because we dont have a suitable number 10. Dare I say it...lazy signings.

I don't think there's been a coordinated strategy for signing players. They certainly don't look like they've been signed with the vision of us playing in a certain way.

You get the feeling sometimes that agents come to us with certain players instead of us hunting them down. It's like someone ordering off a wine list based on the price column. Does anyone seriously think we scouted Veseli before we took him?

I don't think there's been a coordinated strategy for signing players. They certainly don't look like they've been signed with the vision of us playing in a certain way.

You get the feeling sometimes that agents come to us with certain players instead of us hunting them down. It's like someone ordering off a wine list based on the price column. Does anyone seriously think we scouted Veseli before we took him?

Probably why he only wanted to release 3 players when he posted his retained list.

Archived