onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Feeder club and parent club :). is it a good idea or not?

Supervalefan1

Erm, that's a loan deal. Loan deals have been happening in football for 30-odd years. Good ones and bad ones.

How does a successful loan deal justify us becoming a "feeder club" or do you not actually understand what being a "feeder club" would mean?

I thought we would loan players out who aren't playing in the vale squad at the moment that's what I thought it was and we would play friendlies against them. that's what I thought a feeder club was. but fair enough I am wrong. lesson learnt :).

Advert

The Football Supporters Federation made a presentation to Greg Dyke's commission and part of it was on feeder clubs. Sadly Dyke and his cohorts ignored it...

It's a bit wordy but probably the key points made by the FSF are:

---

FEEDER CLUBS – PART OF THE SOLUTION OR A BLIND ALLEY?

One of the unique features of the professional game in England is its depth, replicated in no other country in the world. This would collapse very quickly were Football League clubs to become feeder clubs to the Premier League elite.

Whether owned outright by Premier League clubs or tied into a contractual relationship similar to that which exists in professional baseball in North America where each major league club has a series of “farm” clubs the system won’t work whilst we have promotion and relegation.

Some years ago Sheffield Wednesday would have counted themselves amongst the Premier League elite. What would have happened when they had to play one of their feeder clubs post relegation? Conversely what happens when a feeder club wins promotion to the Premier League?

Aside from this issue the FSF believes clubs whose primary objective is to develop players for other clubs rather than to win games and trophies for their local community will quickly see public support drift away. It is public support and passion which creates the impetus to competitive, meaningful games.

Anybody who has ever been to a match in one of the old regional reserve leagues (the Football Combination, Central League and so on) or the now abandoned Premier Reserve League will tell you that the absence of a crowd and a team selected not to win but who needed a fitness run-out or the chance to step up from the youth team led to meaningless contests.

To work effectively promotion and relegation would have to be abandoned. Fans wouldn’t back a club whose primary objective was the development of players for others. The base of the professional pyramid would be destroyed to nobody’s benefit.

This is one idea that should be immediately dropped. If it is not, we predict that our members will, understandably, demand that we lead a national campaign of opposition to this development.

---

The Football Supporters Federation made a presentation to Greg Dyke's commission and part of it was on feeder clubs. Sadly Dyke and his cohorts ignored it...

It's a bit wordy but probably the key points made by the FSF are:

---

FEEDER CLUBS – PART OF THE SOLUTION OR A BLIND ALLEY?

One of the unique features of the professional game in England is its depth, replicated in no other country in the world. This would collapse very quickly were Football League clubs to become feeder clubs to the Premier League elite.

Whether owned outright by Premier League clubs or tied into a contractual relationship similar to that which exists in professional baseball in North America where each major league club has a series of “farm” clubs the system won’t work whilst we have promotion and relegation.

Some years ago Sheffield Wednesday would have counted themselves amongst the Premier League elite. What would have happened when they had to play one of their feeder clubs post relegation? Conversely what happens when a feeder club wins promotion to the Premier League?

Aside from this issue the FSF believes clubs whose primary objective is to develop players for other clubs rather than to win games and trophies for their local community will quickly see public support drift away. It is public support and passion which creates the impetus to competitive, meaningful games.

Anybody who has ever been to a match in one of the old regional reserve leagues (the Football Combination, Central League and so on) or the now abandoned Premier Reserve League will tell you that the absence of a crowd and a team selected not to win but who needed a fitness run-out or the chance to step up from the youth team led to meaningless contests.

To work effectively promotion and relegation would have to be abandoned. Fans wouldn’t back a club whose primary objective was the development of players for others. The base of the professional pyramid would be destroyed to nobody’s benefit.

This is one idea that should be immediately dropped. If it is not, we predict that our members will, understandably, demand that we lead a national campaign of opposition to this development.

---

So basically they are using our club to progress their own young players and develop them instead of them developing themselves. is that what u mean?.

I am against us being a feeder club BUT I would like to see a few Premier league youngsters come in on loan(feeder club and loan deals are totally separate things) on the subject of loans I would happily take the Villa winger who was on loan to Notts County last season.

With the FA's idea of putting secondary Premiership teams lower down the leagues then surely feeder clubs won't be an option... though in the minds of the Premiership this means they can have feeder clubs and all clubs outside their Golden Toilet will be full of their huge squads....

I dont know why any fan of any team would want their club to lose its identity by becoming a "feeder club"

Each club needs its individual identity, without it it would cease to exist.

Take loan players from wherever you can get them from to play in your style, some may be great others good and some bladdy useless to the team they are brought to.

It should be the team managers choice who plays and who sits it out and how the team plays, whether he makes the right choice or not.

With the FA's idea of putting secondary Premiership teams lower down the leagues then surely feeder clubs won't be an option... though in the minds of the Premiership this means they can have feeder clubs and all clubs outside their Golden Toilet will be full of their huge squads....
Rejected by the FL, so will not happen.

Maybe we should just go for the parent club option or just get prem reserves on loan like we would normally would like last season with Knott and Grimmer.
Maybe loan players, who can be recalled at any time, is all we can afford next season.

I think it is good to have a close relationship with a larger club, having promising youngsters here and giving them first team football and sharing ideas. I never understood the feeder/parent club thing to be one where they own us or invest financially. But having a strong link where we get good quality players, say 2 or 3 a season would be good. they may go on to sign for us permanently if they couldnt make the step up at their main club but are good enough here. It wouldn't be a B team situation.

Massive overreaction.

A feeder club would not make us lose "138 years of history" or our identity. It is in no way linked to the League 3 proposal. Port Vale would not be assimilated into Stoke City, WBA etc.

There would be an agreement between the two clubs in which players would be loaned from the parent club to the feeder club, with the wages being paid by the parent. Sometimes a fee is paid between the clubs or a pre-season friendly. The feeder club has no obligation to play the player, although that would defeat the point.

If we can get 1-2 highly rated youngsters from a midlands Prem/Championship team, give them the valuable playing time they need and then send them back after a season then everyone is happy. Our squad is bettered and the parent gets development.

I really don't see the problem. We all clamour for youth players being loaned to us (Knott and Grimmer), and this makes the situation 10x easier.

I won't pay to watch the equivalent of Barcelona B.

I would do anything to keep this club alive. 138 years of history or not will count for nothing if we have a repeat of the idiots running the club previously..!!

The past is fantastic but it will become just that history if we don't all open our minds to alternative solutions/suggestions when times are tough. I wonder if the remaining Hereford fans (or any of the other clubs that have gone or been close to going out of existence) would take the option of becoming a so called feeder club if it helped keep them healthy and in the football league.

Like it or not football is becoming less popular and people don't have the money to take the family to every match and buy replica kits etc, etc. if we carry on this way there will be a few more clubs consigned to the history books. Hopefully not the Vale.

Well we took Jack Grimmer on loan from Fulham last season. He is rated highly rated at fulham I think so anyway...

There is a world of difference between that and becoming another teams play thing in the way a feeder club would work.

We also signed Knott from Sunderland with similar success.

A feeder club may also limit the opportunity to deal with other clubs in such a way.

Rob's posts reflect my opinions entirely. Close relationships are great but this rather extreme idea sadly smacks of an idea of Greg Dyke/Danny Mills proportions.

Archived