onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stan Collymore

melv

Advert

Don't really know much about Las Malvinas.

Have we always had them? Seems a bit odd that they're on the other side of the world.

Agreed. The whole 'land ownership' is a strange one isn't it? How would we feel if Argentina claimed ownership of, for example, the Isle of Man, due to taking\being given it hundreds of years ago?

Agreed. The whole 'land ownership' is a strange one isn't it? How would we feel if Argentina claimed ownership of, for example, the Isle of Man, due to taking\being given it hundreds of years ago?

They TRIED to take ownership of the Falklands and failed.But IF they did try to do as you say then they would fail again.

The people of the Falklands have voted that they want to remain British.That is their choice.Their choice should be respected,as it is.

They TRIED to take ownership of the Falklands and failed.But IF they did try to do as you say then they would fail again.

I wasn't talking specifics Melv, just a general query over land ownership. I completely respect the wishes of the Falkland inhabitants. Likewise if the people of Northern Ireland wanted to be ruled by Ireland i'd respect that, if North Korea and South Korea wanted to come back together etc etc

I don't feel we should really get too worked up over nation’s borders and ownership. At the end of the day we all live on a pretty small piece of rock, all things considered, with finite resources that are rapidly shrinking. Wouldn't it be better if we all just got along, shared the wealth, food and resources

If aliens from another planet were looking down on us they'd probably **** themselves at our pettiness.

They were discovered, landed upon, and named by an Englishman in approximately 1690.

He went home for a bit and a French admiral founded a colony on them something like 80 years later

The British returned a year after the French arrived and told them to do one. They did after Spain bought out their settlement.

France had nothing to do with them after the mid 1700's, well before the Napoleonic wars, even before the Revolution.

Argentina wasn't even founded until like 120 years after the British discovered the Islands. Nutters.

You know when Argentine elections are coming up when Kirchner starts her quadrennial Malvinas gobshlte campaign.

How did the Englishman know nobody had 'discovered' them and named them before he did?

Is it Captain Cook who is credited with 'discovering' Australia and Columbus with 'discovering' America? WHat about the people who lived their before? The aboriginies and the american indians etc.

It really does all boil down to who has the biggest and most deadliest wepons at the time.

No, it's name calling. If you're taking the moral high ground in any situation then in order to maintain your position you have to avoid such behaviour.

Agreed but the man has no class whatsoever. Why on earth is he getting involved in something he clearly knows little or nothing about. He is just showing himself up as being as poor a charachter as he has always been.

They were discovered, landed upon, and named by an Englishman in approximately 1690.

He went home for a bit and a French admiral founded a colony on them something like 80 years later

The British returned a year after the French arrived and told them to do one. They did after Spain bought out their settlement.

France had nothing to do with them after the mid 1700's, well before the Napoleonic wars, even before the Revolution.

Argentina wasn't even founded until like 120 years after the British discovered the Islands. Nutters.

You know when Argentine elections are coming up when Kirchner starts her quadrennial Malvinas gobshlte campaign.

I read 2 accounts one stated 1591 the other 1690... it hardly matters which is correct if Argentina wasnt founded until 1810.

It seems strange in this day and age that just because you set foot on something first you own it, a bit like the moon or naming a new star if you see it first or identifying a new species, alive or extinct.

How did the Englishman know nobody had 'discovered' them and named them before he did?

Is it Captain Cook who is credited with 'discovering' Australia and Columbus with 'discovering' America? WHat about the people who lived their before? The aboriginies and the american indians etc.

It really does all boil down to who has the biggest and most deadliest wepons at the time.

The huge difference between the discoverers and the indigenous people you name is that only one claimed to own the land. The American Indians and Aborigines lived on the land but never wanted or needed to own it.

The Falkland islanders have decided who/what they wish to be by democratic vote and that should be respected... no matter how much oil has been found or how cash strapped Argentina finds itself.

Are people unaware that Stan is paid to be controversial and opinionated? He's simply doing his job and his comments should be observed in that context. Personally from what I have read it's ill-informed rubbish intended to stir up controversy..it's what he does.

I would not claim to speak for how any Falkland veteran or Falkland islander feels about what was said; I'm not qualified to do so.

It seems strange in this day and age that just because you set foot on something first you own it, a bit like the moon or naming a new star if you see it first or identifying a new species, alive or extinct.

You don't..there is a formal legal process to go through to claim 'ownership'..even 100s of years ago there was such a process although we'd consider it very flawed these days

I seem to recall reading something along the lines of newly "discovered" land had no legal status and part of defining that legal status was defining ownership..but of course the present incumbants at the time had no concept of this and so could present no argument that they were the owners

****** lawyers

Argentina have never said the war is over and often prob the exclusion zones. I am off there yet again in Sept for 4 months, so would love to see Stan down there and could invite him to walk over some ground and see if he goes bang, as large parts of the land is still mined there. Oh he would not be go there, as there are no 5 star hotels.

The Still's (previous bennies) still think they are british and have made a lot of money from their work there.

Are people unaware that Stan is paid to be controversial and opinionated? He's simply doing his job and his comments should be observed in that context. Personally from what I have read it's ill-informed rubbish intended to stir up controversy..it's what he does.

I would not claim to speak for how any Falkland veteran or Falkland islander feels about what was said; I'm not qualified to do so.

Nobody pays him to be controversial on twitter though do they.

He's also paid to be controversial on football related matters, he's miles away from his profession.

Archived