onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ukraine.

For Us All

So it seems Putin is not going to annex even the Crimea, and has shown leadership that Obama and that idiot Cameron (where is he during all this ?) and his tame poodle William Haig might learn from.

Or was it like this -

Putin on phone a month ago to Yanukovitch - 'You've spent that £12 billion bail out already ? Ive just paid out for Sochi - you'll have to go, sorry. Look, get on to that blonde bimbo and get her out of prison to stir up some riots, oh and the thick Klitty-ko boxer, let them have a bit of power for now I can manipulate them later. You can have a dacha outside Sochi, just sort it.

Y agrees. Changeover. P puts plan into action, Crimea looks about to explode but of course is all under control.

Muggins EU and USA send first instalment of £100 billion bail-out to totally corrupt Ukranian economy. Putin smiles, K relaxes in his dacha, Klitty and the bimbo think they have won (but within 2 years are ousted and publicly burned at the stake in Independence square for more corruption), and all go to bed happy.... except for the western public whose services are cut and have first of six 5p a litre petrol price rises.

Gas prices about to go up too and national debts of UK, US spiral. Ukraine forces its way into EU and 65 million more become eligible to come to Britain and enjoy the milk and honey.

On to those other forgotten Euro-states Kazakhstan, Azerbijan and Turkmenistan !

Not a bad shout but my money is on Moldova being next?

Advert

Putin is a vile little stump of a man and he is desperate to try and keep hold of some old Soviet old boys club, for support, logistics, and economics and so his empire doesn’t deteriate.

Whilst I think Russia’s actions are 100% condemnable I am getting a little annoyed at the west’s hypocrisy over this. We invaded (illegally and without unified UN support) and go to war with whom we want for our vested interests and support undemocratic autocracies, rebel terrorist organizations and leave atrocities where there is no financial incentive. If only the west had some consistency in their policy.

Putin is a vile little stump of a man and he is desperate to try and keep hold of some old Soviet old boys club, for support, logistics, and economics and so his empire doesn’t deteriate.

Whilst I think Russia’s actions are 100% condemnable I am getting a little annoyed at the west’s hypocrisy over this. We invaded (illegally and without unified UN support) and go to war with whom we want for our vested interests and support undemocratic autocracies, rebel terrorist organizations and leave atrocities where there is no financial incentive. If only the west had some consistency in their policy.

The west is totally consistant..if it's in our interests and the risks are not too great and we think we can win then we go in. If it's not in our interests or the risk is too rgeat or we thi nk we might not win..we don't. Cyical I know but we won't do what'e best on a humanitarian level if there is nothing in it for us or the risk is too rgeat or we think we won't win.

I wonder what our take would be if the situation was reversed. What if the Ukraine wanted to pull away from Europe to be closer to Russia via an uprising. And the people in the Crimea were a majority european linked and wanted to be a part of Europe and not Russia.

The deposed Ukraine government was a corrupt elite and they have been replaced by some people who may have merit but some from dubious backgrounds. Putin does not understand why western powers are prepared to align closely with dubious new government figures. There is a reckless intelligence about Russians I observed from being there and a snap to unity as Russians to a cause that is not matched by many nations in the west. Then they are led by Putin who will gain from being seen as a strong leader though the damage to the economy may eventually undermine him.

• 2 weeks later...

No..as the people of the Falklands and Gibraltar do not want to be part of Russia ;)

For me it's not the same as it's not for Russia to argue what what the people in Crimea want it's for the people in Crimea to make the choice thru due process..not thru Russia invading and then using a trumped up referendum to justify what they did.

It's more akin to what's going to happen with Scotland and them staying in the UK or not..or rather it should be.

The fact is, Russia have ignored Ukraine's constitution.

The danger is, Putin can use the same argument (there are Russian speaking people there) when he takes over in Latvia and other Baltic countries.

He wants a return to the Soviet Union, being the KGB agent he was and will always be.

The only way to settle the dispute is to allow the inhabitants to settle it themselves. It seems there is a similarity here to the Irish situation with a significant minority concentrated in one area wishing to be united with a larger country while the majority want independence. There are also worrying similarities to the situation in 1914. Please remember the lies and propaganda that have been fed to us in the past and make it clear that under no circumstances will the UK be involved in the internal problems of the Ukraine.

A mate of mine in the army reckons its more to do with the largest russian naval base being based in crimea and them having to rent it from the ukraine, dunno how true that is.

That's true, I work with a Latvian who also served in the Russian army, he says the same thing.

Archived