onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Football league clubs consulted on standing.

melv

Advert

I would prefer to stand, the Hillsborough thing was caused by the police letting too many into the end.

With todays technology it would be easy enough to keep a count on how many are going through the turnstile.

All seating has killed the atmosphere, would soon see the Bycars full again.

Personally, I prefer to sit now, maybe because I'm getting older.

It's a myth that seating has killed atmosphere, there are numerous examples of better atmospheres in seats, and numerous examples of poor atmospheres in standing terraces.

Installing terracing would be a complete waste of money for most clubs, including us.

If terracing was inherently unsafe they would have banned it completely. As it is, you're allowed to have it in L1 and L2 and you have three years to put seats in after you get promoted to the Championship.

The main issue re: safety is how they can evacuate a stand in an emergency. We don't fence fans in any more so a similar scenario to Hillsborough is unlikely.

"Football League clubs consulted on standing".....but no mention of speaking to the fans?

My worry is that this subject won't get a fair crack of the whip if it's left to the clubs to decide. As terracing is usually cheaper, isn't a club with an all-seated ground a bit like a turkey voting for Christmas?

If anything, I would say terracing needs to return to the Premier League more urgently.

The "atmosphere" at the Emirates, White Hart Lane, Old Trafford and even Anfield seems to have gone completely.

It's hardly surprising when you see the average age and profile of the fans at these grounds.....which is determined by the ticket prices and affordability.

We need cheaper admission across the board and the CHOICE whether to sit or stand.

Personally, I prefer to sit now, maybe because I'm getting older.

It's a myth that seating has killed atmosphere, there are numerous examples of better atmospheres in seats, and numerous examples of poor atmospheres in standing terraces.

Installing terracing would be a complete waste of money for most clubs, including us.

Totally disagree. I think that seating has killed atmosphere at matches because the attitude of supporters has also changed as peoples mindsets differ to whether they should stay sat down or not.

Everybody used to feel 'as one' because everyone stood up. Now- all's you get is 'sit down you idiot' or sit down or some will take it further and say you are obstructing view ect...

Another perspective is that the sitting down suits quieter less passionate individuals and i feel personally that the 'working class' aura (have i spelt that wrong) has all but dissapeared and people (some anyway) take a snobbish dim view towards blokes who shout and jump up during the game.

I have lost count of the occasions fellow supporters heckle other fans when they do not sing ect..(and i go adhoc matches due to work)

My wish would be to rip all the seats out- then perhaps we would get cheaper admission costs and before anyone gets on the health and safety issues towards standing up- then make each game all ticket- problem solved.

The lack of standing is a contributory factor to the death of atmosphere but not solely responsible. The price of football over the last twenty years has also cut many people out of football, namely the people who traditionally supported it, the working class.

Anyone who has visited Germany to watch football will no how good you are treated as a fan. The price is half of that here, the stadiums are full, terracing and seated areas, smoking areas, beer served, good food served and merch stands on concourse. The gates are larger due to terracing and a club even of Vales size can make tens of thousand on selling beer per game. Alcohol free beer is served at games that are deemed troublesome. The German game is geared up for the fans not the investors, Murdoch or the Far East fan base. the German game is very entertaining too, end to end stuff. I have seen Bundersliga games for as little as €10, that's a third if the price into Vale. Going to see Dortmund only cost me €25.

I have been to loads of German games and grounds from Bundesliga right down to Oberliga. It absolutely rips the English experience to bits, we need to head towards that style of environment but fear we have gone too far down the clinical route.

Archived