onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best oatcake shop

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

As I was in Biddulph the other day I bought some Poveys. Now this is a shop I used to use all the time when I lived there, but they can't hold their own against High Lane oatcakes. Far too thick and rubbery.

The microwave debate is one that will rage on through the ages, and if pushed I prefer my filled oatcakes grilled, but for oatcakes alone, High Lane win, hands down.

Povey's to thick and rubbery?! Never. They're one of the thinnest I've ever had. Staffordshire oatcakes, now they're thick and rubbery.

What's the one on Waterloo Road like these days? I've tried them all in turn when I was at uni in Stoke. Used to be pretty good then. Was never a fan of high lane for having them with fillings due to them using the microwave as someone else has mentioned! It's personal choice but it's sacrilege imo too, when you have the hot grill there!

Moving to the darkside of city(sorry everyone, I am from Longton originally!) we used to use Lockett's(now Clarke's) up Normacott when we used to visit relatives. There also used to be a couple along London Road out of Stoke which wern't bad but they may be gone now?

Also tried the one in Sneyd Green and the one at Birches Head(right opposite the Forest Park entrance) several times!

We will be buying a load of unfilled oatcakes from.....High Lane

Also hoping to visit the Hasty Tasty or Goldfish Bowl up 'anley..not been to either for 20+ years..taking the wife to see all the sights of SoT I am :)

High Lane will vacuum pack them, buy a ton and freeze some, still amazing when defrosted.

I could not let this thread pass without giving my opinion and as someone said earlier it is all down to personal taste. Before I retired, I worked in different areas of North Stafforshire and being a seven day a week shift worker, oatcakes were very much on the menu as a breakfast accompaniment, particularly on Saturdays and Sundays. There are some oatcakes that seem to be very yeasty and these are not to my taste. I include Foley Oatcakes and the Oatcake Coral on Whielden Road in this category. The ones I used to purchase from Hanley Road, Sneyd Green, Newcastle Road, Newcastle and London Road, Stoke are a no no. Amongst the best were from Box Lane in Meir, Hole in the Wall in Hanley, although these always seemed a bit salty but still to my taste. Glyn who ran the Hole in The Wall was also a Vale supporter and this was a good enough reason to patronise his business. The ones at Porthill aren't to my liking, nor are Mellors or Poveys. I once had some from Leek market and they were almost as thick as Pikelets and quite frankly I wouldnt have wiped my ....with them. I had only popped into Leek to have some shoes repaired but I swear that if I had used those oatcakes instead of the material provided by the cobbler, I would still be walking around in those shoes today!! I once met a man who had suffered a heart attack and he put it down to an over abundance of oatcakes he purchased in Macclesfield of all places. Well I said to that man anyone who purchases and eats oatcakes not made in North Staffordshire is asking for trouble. I have eaten the ones from Pittshill and Hamil Road and they're not bad. The same applies to the ones in Roundway Street, Tunstall. I recollect that I bought some from a back street in Tunstall and they were excellent. There was good ostcake shop in Fegg Hayes and these were also top drawer!! The one in Fegg Hayes that has recently made way for a new housing development. Has this been relocated does anyone know? The ones from Ford Green Road are good and I sometimes travel from Basford to purchaes them. So to my very best oatcake and I'm afraid that it is not High Lane as good as they are. They use an industrial type mix dispenser there and that's cheating!! The very best in my opinion are from Werrington Road, Bucknall. They are individually made with a proper ladel, nice and thin, always well cooked with a nice golden brown colour( not like those with a grey colour and a wet interior that look more like dish cloths!!) and the flavour is well balanced. They also freeze well. I advise anyone who is in the area to try them. You will not be disappointed. Please note that this is not a definitive guide and I wouldn't class myself as a connoisseur but I think that I know my oatcakes!!

Archived