onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brentford pre game

You'd start Griff over Loft our captain? nice logic.

You'd play a player regardless of form and the requirements of our team because he was our captain in league 2, and you question others logic. Fraser was captain when he was with us, yet people we happy to see him dropped. it doesnt make a player undroppable. Lofts form in midfield last season wasn't great. I can't see what makes him irreplaceable?

Sheff weds fans say lines played best with a ball winner next to him and so griff is the obvious choice.

it depends on what Adams thinks is best, it's my opinion to start Loft over Griff.

Advert

Birchall and lines together aren't the right players to play the '2' in a 4-2-3-1. It's square pegs in round holes again to fit players in.

Well it was Morsy and Burge last season and just how is it that Birchall and Lines are "square pegs in round holes" and not the right players to play as the "2" in a 4/2/3/1..........Lines is a central midfielder and Birchall is an International DM both with Championship experience and both are mobile and quick......most importantly both are technically good players who can pass and keep the ball moving front to back.....the main point is given the system the players have to be highly competent and the very limited Griffith

doesn't even have the basics.......

Loft at rb before Yates and Duffy?

Loft's first spell at full back before being settled and excellent at left back was actually at right back where Loft was simply brilliant.....

playing 4/2/3/1 system with a five man midfield and two holding midfielders puts a lot of emphasis on attacking full backs....the wingers are inverted and almost inside forwards and the system is designed for the full back to attack on the outside and overlap.

In short Duffy a CB/RB is not an attacking full back and even Yates who could do the job was if memory serves not as comfortable playing wing back as Taylor awhile back....the role requires much involvement in build up play and a sense of adventure and a lot of energy and captain Lofty would be ideal.

Only seen one pre season game but I'd go for this providing they'r all fit and Dicko is a decent centre back

Neal

Duffy Robertson Dickinson Jones

JMW Birchall Lines Loft

Pope Tomlin

In a sense that almost becomes 3/5/2 and while there is a winger on the right JMW and Duffy a CB/RB who doesn't get forward as much on the other side there is no winger except in a way Loft will often become the last man and left back as Jones attacks...it

is also the case that Tomlin who can play as a striker or winger can also play as a "number 10" in the hole and join in midfiled duties

like Dodds.

Many however will not be happy after all Birchall is only an International DM with Championship experience while Griffith could slow down play and struggle with the basics of football technique before giving the ball away.

Whatever happens on Saturday I hope we give ourselves a chance and don't get caught out with pacier players and end up a man down or something like that.

Brentford will be coming to beat us (as a lot of teams will expect to this season), hopefully that will suit us a bit more than last season.

I totally agree, especially the second paragraph. It's going to be very different this year- do you expect Wolves to park the bus? They're coming to Vale Park to win, as will Brentford tomorrow

I totally agree, especially the second paragraph. It's going to be very different this year- do you expect Wolves to park the bus? They're coming to Vale Park to win, as will Brentford tomorrow

I do think we'll be on the end of a couple of hammerings this season which will be a shock to the system, but something we need to accept.

I do also think some teams will wish they'd never laid eyes on 'little' Port Vale. We will also be a home banker for teams that don't realise how effective we have been away from home and some will come unstuck.

There is an attitude about our squad and I don't think we'll have to worry about them not believing they are good enough which can be half the battle, particularly with some of our massive away followings with so many local games.

Blimey. I know that Brentford were close to going up last year and that they will rightly be one of the favourites to do so this season, but after taking a look on their forum they all talk about themselves like they are the English version of Barcelona or something! Well, to any Brentford fan browsing this forum we haven't got a bad squad of players ourselves and I think win, lose or draw we'll give you a real game tomorrow, so underestimate us at your peril!

Neal

Yates/Duffy

Robertson

Dickinson

Jones

Myrie-Williams

Griffith

Lines

Loft ©

Pope

Hughes/Tomlin

Can't wait! :keepup:

Bench tomorrow.

I agree Ben, I think Birchall could end up being a regular in the team this season but with missing most of pre-season away with T&T I think he will have to settle with the bench until he gets his chance. I think Adams will pick:

Neal

Yates (or Duffy)

Robertson

Dickinson

Jones

Myrie-Williams

Griffiths

Lines

Loft

Pope

Tomlin

Subs:

Johnson

Duffy (or Yates)

Chilvers or Shuker

Birchall

Mohamed

Williamson

Hughes

Blimey. I know that Brentford were close to going up last year and that they will rightly be one of the favourites to do so this season, but after taking a look on their forum they all talk about themselves like they are the English version of Barcelona or something! Well, to any Brentford fan browsing this forum we haven't got a bad squad of players ourselves and I think win, lose or draw we'll give you a real game tomorrow, so underestimate us at your peril!

Neal

Yates/Duffy

Robertson

Dickinson

Jones

Myrie-Williams

Griffith

Lines

Loft ©

Pope

Hughes/Tomlin

Can't wait! :keepup:

**** me just had a look on there myself.

Majority think they'll win by at least 2-3 goals and more than one reckons that they are seen as a scalp in this league. They're setting themselves right up here.

Well it was Morsy and Burge last season and just how is it that Birchall and Lines are "square pegs in round holes" and not the right players to play as the "2" in a 4/2/3/1..........Lines is a central midfielder and Birchall is an International DM both with Championship experience and both are mobile and quick......most importantly both are technically good players who can pass and keep the ball moving front to back.....the main point is given the system the players have to be highly competent and the very limited Griffith

doesn't even have the basics.......

Many however will not be happy after all Birchall is only an International DM with Championship experience while Griffith could slow down play and struggle with the basics of football technique before giving the ball away.

I remember you getting all excited about lawrie being an international striker as well. You also forget that griff is an international DM too. In both cases its hardly relevant to whether they should play.

My point is that in a/your 4-2-3-1, you are playing 4 very attacking players. You need two deep lying defensive midfielders. From what ive seen birchall isn't that and lines definitely isn't. Who is going to do the dirty work? Its not league 2 like last year, our midfield will be under far more pressure. And we havent got the comfort of having players of Barcelonas class where we can play lots of attacking players, or players with ability in all areas.

**** me just had a look on there myself.

Majority think they'll win by at least 2-3 goals and more than one reckons that they are seen as a scalp in this league. They're setting themselves right up here.

Could easily have been in the Championship, have decent manager, plans for a new ground, of course they are excited. We bounced back after WBA, but some teams stumble, it is only the first game and often deceives.

Archived