onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Chancellor's spending review

JOHNNYAITCH

I liked the idea of winter fuel payments to begin with but the more I think about it, and the more that fuel prices have risen excessively, it's become a state subsidy for privatised utility companies. Very similar to housing benefit, which a lot of the time is funding slum landlords' mortgage repayments.

Advert

And we should be proud that we do help our citizens who are in need and living overseas, not trying to copy nations that don't help their citizens in similar circumstances.

Don't feel proud at all....feel like a total waste of tax payers money.

I think I think the pension should be a set amount set against/by cost of living for all persons, wherever those persons entitled to the pension live after retirement. Any paid employment after retirement should reduce the pension by a %, any add ons to the pension [heating allowance, bus pass, television licence etc] should be means tested.

I also think I think the NHS needs to be looked at..... it cant be right that a prescription cost of £7.85? can be charged for medication that can be purchased over the counter for £6 or less... can it?

Well as it's only meant to be spent on heating and someone in a hot climate doen't need to spend it on heating...they won't miss it. Well that's the logic I guess anyway

I know wealthier people in the UK might not spend it on heating either, but they might cos there is the need to spend on heating

Apparently,the EU have stepped in to prevent the government taking away this benefit for ex-pats.

If it's available over the counter people are free to buy it that way..and many do.

If they are told or know and many are/do not...

The price I pay for prescription drugs here is far less than the cost of a prescription in the UK, [which they say does not cover the cost of the drugs in the UK]

Totally agree that many do not..but they can

The price I pay for prescription drugs here is far less than the cost of a prescription in the UK, [which they say does not cover the cost of the drugs in the UK]

Not surprised...probably UK is charged more by drug companies and the cost of delivering it to the consumer is greater (pharmacists pay for example)

Price of prescription drugs in the UK is generally less than the following countries:

Canada

France

Netherlands

Germany

USA

So we aint so bad compared to 'comparable' countries

Totally agree that many do not..but they can

Not surprised...probably UK is charged more by drug companies and the cost of delivering it to the consumer is greater (pharmacists pay for example)

Price of prescription drugs in the UK is generally less than the following countries:

Canada

France

Netherlands

Germany

USA

So we aint so bad compared to 'comparable' countries

Not so sure about that last statement. My wife pays up to $250 for 3 months supply of her 2 cholesterol medications. On the other hand, our doctor has kept us sweet with continuous supplies of my cholesterol meds free of charge from samples he gets.

I take Zyrtek for allergies for about 7 months of the year. I started buying the cheap generic version online and one time I ordered it the parcel arrived and it was postmarked Wolverhampton.

I think I think the pension should be a set amount set against/by cost of living for all persons, wherever those persons entitled to the pension live after retirement. Any paid employment after retirement should reduce the pension by a %, any add ons to the pension [heating allowance, bus pass, television licence etc] should be means tested.

I also think I think the NHS needs to be looked at..... it cant be right that a prescription cost of £7.85? can be charged for medication that can be purchased over the counter for £6 or less... can it?

It also can't be correct that you have to pay for prescriptions in England yet they are free in Scotland and Wales but the funds all come out of the same pot.

Not so sure about that last statement. My wife pays up to $250 for 3 months supply of her 2 cholesterol medications. On the other hand, our doctor has kept us sweet with continuous supplies of my cholesterol meds free of charge from samples he gets.

I take Zyrtek for allergies for about 7 months of the year. I started buying the cheap generic version online and one time I ordered it the parcel arrived and it was postmarked Wolverhampton.

Cholesterol meds should be cheaper than that particularly if you have Health Insurance, two of the most widely prescribed, Simvastatin and Atorvastatin, are off patent and are generic. None of my business but I would ask your doctor why the good lady needs two anti-cholesterol meds.

It also can't be correct that you have to pay for prescriptions in England yet they are free in Scotland and Wales but the funds all come out of the same pot.

IMO this is extremely unfair as well as the reduced Uni tuition/fees paid by Scottish and Welsh residents in their respective countries Uni's.

now come on geo just think abite us poor ewd pensioners , poverty strucken misery, aches and pains, we conner get counterfeit pills and potions lark they cost, we suffer in silence eking ite a living,a toss up between food and heating conner afford both at same tarm,it's o rate for yo ex-pats living in the lap of luxury.:(

now come on geo just think abite us poor ewd pensioners , poverty strucken misery, aches and pains, we conner get counterfeit pills and potions lark they cost, we suffer in silence eking ite a living,a toss up between food and heating conner afford both at same tarm,it's o rate for yo ex-pats living in the lap of luxury.:(

This ex-pat is a pensioner.... the drugs I buy here are same brand and generic... sometimes I have to choose between cold water melon and dragon fruit or air conditioning... is that the same as food or heating?... its close... ah well another crappy day in paradise :yes:

This ex-pat is a pensioner.... the drugs I buy here are same brand and generic... sometimes I have to choose between cold water melon and dragon fruit or air conditioning... is that the same as food or heating?... its close... ah well another crappy day in paradise :yes:

by ek but way av it tuf, i don't know about air con but here it's absolutely thistle down, dragon fruit ? is that like bacon and egg oatkakes washed down with a bucket of coffee. it's a tough old life but we don't need sympathy, hard cash is better:laugh:

Archived