onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What class are you?

JOHNNYAITCH

I think there is a flaw in this. It refers to household income etc, but doesn't seem to take account of debt. Or did I miss that?

Class is hard to measure, and the way of measuring has changed over the years from registrar general (?) to some pitching else (NS SEC or something like that?). Should debt be included? What is you have been brought up in the upper classes, live in a stately home, but have massive debts? Your debts may be bigger than your assets, but you wouldn't be one if e lower classes. Your lifestyle would be that. Then there is status and things like that. It's never perfect. What if you are working class and you win the lottery? A medical student?

Advert

Lazy journalism from the BBC as usual. Who cares? You're either a **** or you're not.

Grouping people one way or another is what creates fear in this crazy world that we live in. Race, religion, class... all gauges created and played upon by agenda ridden idiots to justify atrocities.

Distinguishing the petty differences between one person and the next is manipulative and dangerous.

Lazy journalism from the BBC as usual. Who cares? You're either a **** or you're not.

Grouping people one way or another is what creates fear in this crazy world that we live in. Race, religion, class... all gauges created and played upon by agenda ridden idiots to justify atrocities.

Distinguishing the petty differences between one person and the next is manipulative and dangerous.

Or you could see it as a bit of fun..not to be definitive nor taken so seriously?

[h=4]New affluent workers[/h]This class group is sociable, has lots of cultural interests and is in the middle of all the class groups in terms of wealth. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

• Are young
  • Come from a working class background
  • Own their own home
  • :unsure:

Class is hard to measure, and the way of measuring has changed over the years from registrar general (?) to some pitching else (NS SEC or something like that?). Should debt be included? What is you have been brought up in the upper classes, live in a stately home, but have massive debts? Your debts may be bigger than your assets, but you wouldn't be one if e lower classes. Your lifestyle would be that. Then there is status and things like that. It's never perfect. What if you are working class and you win the lottery? A medical student?

Yes, this is consistent with Fergie, someone who came from a well healed background, married in to another one, fell out of it and got in to financial difficulties, made some money again, blew it, but through all of this still commands support to live in the same circles. So the elite group have the capacity to defy gravity if you like.

However, I'm not sure this applies to other groups in the same way. I mean the homeless are often people who fall very quickly. Have a job that pays the bills, lose it, have no savings, can't pay the bills, thrown out etc. Divorce is another similar quick route of descent. That said, I think men are likely to be more affected by this than women and that may have something to deal with their less willingness to seek help.

I agree that this is quite significantly a mind thing in terms of internal thoughts about the self and a perception thing in terms of thoughts about other people.

Had this sent to me by the missus yesterday.

I've just heard that a great proportion of the new lowest social class can be found in Stoke-on-Trent! The article states:

‘The Precariat – a word coined from precarious and the Marxist jargon proletariat – make up nearly one in six of the population. The survey said they have tiny incomes, no savings, rent their homes, have the least cultural interests of any social class, and are ‘the most deprived’. A high concentration of the Precariat, the survey claims, can be found in Stoke-on-Trent’.

Oh joy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303333/Great-British-Class-Survey-reveals-UK-7-social-classes-Are-precariat-new-affluent-worker-elite.html

On the positive side we do have big widgies:D

we are who we are, our genes make each one of us unique in some way, i'll remain working class, don't wish to be any different.

i've just had a few bills in, oh dear,expenditure exceeds income at present so iou'll ammend my status to impoverished retired,ex working class.:unsure::(:mad::ninja:

Archived