onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Burge tweet.

Samwelo

robf,

Jean is right in her original post, you don't use Twitter.

Steele Curtain - I have said in at least two previous posts on this thread that Burge was wrong to use Twitter, so I'm not sure what your point is?

Advert

robf,

My point is there is no other issue. Who contacted who is in doubt and we don't know the facts. Burge should take up those issues with the manager direct.

Your post on the contact issue is deflecting from the inexcusable decision by Burge to use Twitter.

But I have said pretty much the same in my post...

We don't know the facts - yes, I know that and I said this was only Burge's own views.

Burge should take up the issues with the manager direct - I have said already that this should have been discussed internally in private.

No excuses for Tweets - I have twice said I agree with that view. Here's a third time... It should have remained private.

I was answering a question - "Why did Burge not contact the club?" and offering Burge's own explanation. I am not agreeing with him by repeating his words but equally I am passing on information so that people are informed and can then make their own mind on the issue.

In my opinion, I think you're being somewhat needlessly confrontational and making a mountain out of a molehill because after all, at the end of the day, I completely agree that Burge should not have tweeted.

Why pick out my post when many others have also veered away from what you feel is the central issue (whether Tweeting is right or wrong) in this thread?

No matter who is right and who is wrong,this bad publicity does not promote confidence and friendship in the dressing room or on the pitch.

Burge should save his complaints and messages for Adams - face to face and in private.

robf,

I certainly don't wish to be confrontational. We both agree that Twitter was the wrong choice. We both agree the contact issues are in doubt.

I think the only difference between us is that I think the episode is more serious than you do, by perhaps a small margin.

Thanks Steele Curtain. You may be surprised by how serious I view it. I was considering publishing an OVF feature called "Burge's Vale future in doubt?" but decided against it as it isn't really my position to comment on a person's employment. But that headline maybe gives an indication of how seriously I would view it...

Just forgettting team selections, form, new signings, manager/fan relations for a moment - can we take one problem at a time, and I'd like to look at the Burge disaster at bristol in isolation first.

What I see is masses of people jumping to conclusions, taking sides, ready to believe anything that fits what they want to be true. There are only a couple, maybe a handful of people that know all the facts. yes, facts.

So why are we allowing 'Trial by Twitter' - whether you consider it to be Adams or Burge (or both) right or wrong, and I cannot say as I don't have FACTS - nor do most of the people getting steamed up and vitriolic.

What is clear to me though, is that this should stop RIGHT NOW, on the orders of Messrs Wildes and Smurf, and be sorted out internally at the club with a ban on all statements from player. manager and anyone else connected officially with the club.

Of course, this is NOT a request for a ban on OVF posts - people must be allowed to have their opinion, but it should not be personally abusive (as a moderator has clearly pointed out) - in no way is OVF to blame for any of this.

But public opinion trials on gossip are the beginning of the end for this (and any other) club - stop it now, stop it fast.

One final suggestion - all future contracts to include a ban on Twitter or similar media outbursts by any club employee (not just players) that is likely to damage or defame either the club or another employee of the club.

One final suggestion - all future contracts to include a ban on Twitter or similar media outbursts by any club employee (not just players) that is likely to damage or defame either the club or another employee of the club.

I would agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, the PFA (as usual) tend to disagree and I think that may be why Vale and other clubs are reluctant to simply ban it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14427415

I think clubs should ensure all players have media training so that they are aware of what could happen if they send a misguided tweet or Facebook update. Then perhaps a middle-ground is for all contracts to include clear and known penalties for any misuse of social media that as David says is "likely to damage or defame either the club or another employee of the club"

As usual, Sir Alex Ferguson seems to have the clearest and most sensible view which is according to Alan Pardew in the above link: "I spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson, and United's policy is that nobody at their club can comment about the football club on Twitter,"

Broadly, I agree with David that players' tweeting is potentially a recipe for disaster and either has to be done under clear guidelines or not at all.

I would agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, the PFA (as usual) tend to disagree and I think that may be why Vale and other clubs are reluctant to simply ban it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14427415

I think clubs should ensure all players have media training so that they are aware of what could happen if they send a misguided tweet or Facebook update. Then perhaps a middle-ground is for all contracts to include clear and known penalties for any misuse of social media that as David says is "likely to damage or defame either the club or another employee of the club"

As usual, Sir Alex Ferguson seems to have the clearest and most sensible view which is according to Alan Pardew in the above link: "I spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson, and United's policy is that nobody at their club can comment about the football club on Twitter,"

Broadly, I agree with David that players' tweeting is potentially a recipe for disaster and either has to be done under clear guidelines or not at all.

Manure players just get their WAG's to tweet on their behalf!

This seems strange to me. Anybody any idea where Burge lives?

With him making his own way to Bristol.

Also why, is he just getting there at nearly 7pm,

45 minutes before kick off.

Players should travel to away games as a squad - if they are getting there by personal transport and that is deemed acceptable by the management, then no wonder the seasons rapidly going to **** ******* - its called disciplin

I wonder if Gills under mad dog is run like butlins , probably not hence y they will go up as champions.

Players should travel to away games as a squad - if they are getting there by personal transport and that is deemed acceptable by the management, then no wonder the seasons rapidly going to **** ******* - its called disciplin

I wonder if Gills under mad dog is run like butlins , probably not hence y they will go up as champions.

Burge should have met up with the squad, he didnt, hence why he drove their on his own. Then wondered why he was told he was not needed when he hadnt turned up on time. If you cant get into work on time, expect to be disciplined.

FATBOYSTEVE,

So now it's the fault of Adams that Burge may have turned up late.

Where do some of you guy's get your logic from?

I expect that from now on ALL PLAYERS will have to travel with the squad as a squad as it should be.If I remember right Sinnott decided to make his own way to games.Look what that achieved.

Archived