onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

why all the negativity on here??

RayWalkers40yarder

Advert

The thing is and I still believe this that the core of our squad is very similar to past ones that theres not many winners in there. Purse and Hughes aside, the squad is made up of bottlers and journey men. Now im not saying that other teams have anything better but ive seen this lot fold under pressure some many times before as a squad and im still under the impression that this wont be plain sailing.The glimmer of hope is that the new signings such as Neal and Jones added to Hughes and Purse give us a quality, but will the rest fold as always?

I sense that I am amongst the fans who you claim to be on the verge of self destruction if Port Vale lose. You couldn't be further from the truth in reality.

What maddens me though is when the manager keeps faith with a formation that often doesn't work and before everyone jumps up and down and points to the league table let me just say that I have been to nearly every game this season and though we have won many of them, in quite a few of these games we were far from convincing.

It is very apparent that the midfield is very often over run when the opposition do their homework on our system. Quite simply playing with two wingers will only work when the widemen have a high work ethic and sadly neither Vincent and Williams come into this hardworker bracket. Exciting they may be, frustrating they definetly are.

I don't lay claim to know more than our manager but may I ask one question?. How many teams play with two widemen?

If we were playing the 'correct' formation, where do you think we would be in the league?

10 points clear at the top?

Before you get all defensive, it is a genuine question. I'm intreagued to understand where you think we should be, if we we played the right way and had a tactically astute manager.

If we were playing the 'correct' formation, where do you think we would be in the league?

10 points clear at the top?

Before you get all defensive, it is a genuine question. I'm intreagued to understand where you think we should be, if we we played the right way and had a tactically astute manager.

George I'm like Micky I rarely go defensive but I'm pretty sure we would have a few more points on the board if the midfield had a little more support and if the 'wingers' aren't prepared to do the work then one should be rested in a few games when needs must.

George I'm like Micky I rarely go defensive but I'm pretty sure we would have a few more points on the board if the midfield had a little more support and if the 'wingers' aren't prepared to do the work then one should be rested in a few games when needs must.

I've said that many a times about the 4-4-2 and how we'd benefit from an extra midfielder, and if there's 2 games where I'd have played an extra man in midfield, they're Gillingham and Rotherham. We played 4-4-2 though, and won. So basically, swings and roundabouts. Could you have envisaged this season going any better? Do you really expect to have won more games? For every one we lost, there's one we snatched, ie Bradford. So again, it's swings and roundabouts. The fact of the matter is, we're second in the league and 8 points clear of the playoffs with a game in hand. I'm willing to leave the tactics to Micky. Do you not think he's having these same conversations with himself anyway? We know after the BArnet game he was considering five in midfield, but understandably after two consecutive 3-0 home wins, went with 4-4-2 once more at home.

Im with Grew in todays paper, no point changing it now, its worked all season

Purse and Jones have made the difference, yes at time we get over run in midfield, but that is certainly not the reason we lost last weekend

... What worked very well was playing Dodds (Williamson?) as an extra 'midfielder' who would push forward and support Pope. That is the system which got us to the top end of this division, and I saw no reason to change that - injuries/suspensions apart - but changed it was, bringing in Hughes and playing 2 up front

Now, with 2 up front, there is even more pressure on the wide men to work hard and track back. The general opinion on here is that they are not doing this - leaving the 2 centre-mids to cope.

... What worked very well was playing Dodds (Williamson?) as an extra 'midfielder' who would push forward and support Pope. That is the system which got us to the top end of this division, and I saw no reason to change that - injuries/suspensions apart - but changed it was, bringing in Hughes and playing 2 up front

Now, with 2 up front, there is even more pressure on the wide men to work hard and track back. The general opinion on here is that they are not doing this - leaving the 2 centre-mids to cope.

My feelings exactly. I believe that answer is to leave one winger out and get Doddsie in to back up both Pope and Hughsey and also help out the midfield.

Vincent could then be used as an impact player if and when required.

I meant stick to the general formation and style of play, I have no issue with dropping players, hughes deserves to be dropped after last week, as does vincent

Just noticed the voting for who should be partnering Darren Purse.Nearly 80% say McCombe.Are these people saying Micky should drop one of the back four to accommodate McCombe?:unsure:The last 7 games we have only let in 4 goals(without McCombe).Strange how folk defend Micky when someone(OS) suggests we alter the forward line which haven't scored for 2 games and then change their way of thinking regarding the defence who are rarely conceding.Just an observation and opinion ( which everyone is entitled to).;)

Just noticed the voting for who should be partnering Darren Purse.Nearly 80% say McCombe.Are these people saying Micky should drop one of the back four to accommodate McCombe?:unsure:The last 7 games we have only let in 4 goals(without McCombe).Strange how folk defend Micky when someone(OS) suggests we alter the forward line which haven't scored for 2 games and then change their way of thinking regarding the defence who are rarely conceding.Just an observation and opinion ( which everyone is entitled to).;)
Perhaps it's because Old Sage dared to suggest it Howjy?:(

I do appear to have my critics on here:yes:

Archived