onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Evolution v Creationism

SuperValiant1876

That he is never wrong. Apparently.

Must admit that's not the interpretation I know..the interpretation is that God's teachings are infallible and if you follow them you will get to heaven etc. However equally the Bible itslef does not describe its content as infallible..Christians just assume it's what they claim with no basis at all

I've always had my doubts simply cos it was writen by men and men are fallible

Advert

The bible is a collection of books that are used in different numbers by different denominations.

Very true

E 'Christian Old Testament' is a Christian book as much as it is a Jewish book. Just as Jesus is a character in the bible and the Koran. Christianity does has its roots in Judaism. Jesus was meant to be from the line of David. Just because the religions move away from each other after Jesus, doesn't mean you should split up their common ancestory before that. Christians believe that the god Moses spoke to is the same as the one Jesus did. To try and claim God 'changed his mind' considering he is all powerful, all present, and all knowing, is ridiculous.

I agree

Your last comment is the cop out for cherry picking.

I don't agree..we all grow and change during our lives and change utr atrtitudes as we learn and grow.

'Women don't have to marry their rapists now, but we do have to follow the Ten Commandments and you can't be gay'!

Totally agree that there are masive ontradictions which they struggle to answer (or cannot answer)

John 14:15 says, "If you love Me, keep My commandments."

Matthew 5:17 says, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill"

I can't remember any at say the Old Testament isn't Christian.

I didn't say that,here's what I posted

"he Old Testament is the Jewish Bible..it forms part of the Christian Bible but Christianity is based on the New testament

The word "testament" means "covenant." The term "old testament" refers to the covenant which God entered into with Abraham and the people of Israel, and"new testament" refers to the covenant the earliest Christians believed God has entered into with all believers through Christ."

I asked a very simple question, are you suggesting that the only evidence for ANYTHING is scientific evidence?

It's a yes/no answer to which he answer is of course no

Never meant you were religious. Though confused. You argue for the evidence of something you don't believe in.

When did I do that? I simply put forward what a religious person might put forward based on my experiences

I have to depart very quickly from religions as they are practiced here. In looking at the why we exist question I head in two directions. The first is science, accepting the limitations there are with this as well, and the second is to look inward at what the mind of a sentient being is and whether or not it is connected more widely to reality. So when I look at the god issue I notice in favour the high degree of pattern and apparent intellect in everything - it looks like a sophisticated computer. Against that is the evidence that if there are enough universes our universe could by chance have finally come up with the right mix of elements etc and no god is needed. I don't look at all at the bible or any of the other holy books. I do take seriously what the Buddha found and said. He dedicated 45 years to looking at the nature of the mind and the reality. In religious terms he has more chance of being right than others but I can see how what he found may eventually be explained as more is discovered about the brain including what and where consciousness is.

I have to depart very quickly from religions as they are practiced here. In looking at the why we exist question I head in two directions. The first is science, accepting the limitations there are with this as well, and the second is to look inward at what the mind of a sentient being is and whether or not it is connected more widely to reality. So when I look at the god issue I notice in favour the high degree of pattern and apparent intellect in everything - it looks like a sophisticated computer. Against that is the evidence that if there are enough universes our universe could by chance have finally come up with the right mix of elements etc and no god is needed. I don't look at all at the bible or any of the other holy books. I do take seriously what the Buddha found and said. He dedicated 45 years to looking at the nature of the mind and the reality. In religious terms he has more chance of being right than others but I can see how what he found may eventually be explained as more is discovered about the brain including what and where consciousness is.

So what does 45 years of meditating or whatever he did, tell us that science or make believe religions don't? The mind is a bunch of grey matter firing away. Tried to read some Buddha teachings of the mind, and after much waffle and nothing of any substance, I gave up.

I'm quite certain in my own mind there is not a why.

If there is a why then there is a God, there is no God so there must be no why, only a how.

By that logic if you accept there is a how then how can you dismiss it's not God behind the how? I don't belive it is but I don't get how by that logic you can dismiss a creator?

Why does the Bible not mention evolution? Simple, it was written by men before evolution came to light so it was what those men thought had happened for life etc to be as it was at the time of writing

I find it incredible that if it is the word of God that evolution would not have got a mention somewhere

Ditto dinosaurs and probably a million other things that were not known at the time of writing

See I know all the answers :razz:

Archived