onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Evolution v Creationism

SuperValiant1876

Advert

Im not totally convinced by evolution, although I do lean towards it strongly.... for evolution to be the complete answer we have to know what we evolved from and where that came from..... it is the most likely answer to where man came from but doesnt answer where life came from and why so many varieties of life exist and have existed.... or if we all crawled out of the mud why isnt all life the same.

I have no religion but I have great difficulty accepting the biblical explanation of creation..... eg...... if god created man in his image why create woman?.... if he liked what he saw so much why not create all the other planets the same?.... but I suppose the simplest question of all is.... after creating adam and eve they had two sons who left the garden and took wives.... where from?.... perhaps he created adam and eve at the end of the evolutionary process.... but that still wouldnt explain where the bladdy dinosaurs came from. I see the bible as a book of hope not an encyclopedia.

Bit like those who attack Christianity without understanding what it is

It's just so easy to attack though. Does the good book not advocate slavery, also the mass murder of everyone in Jerusalem and Ethiopia? Or how about God ordering a lion to kill someone who ignored his instruction? Or the killing of people from 7 nations who did not believe?

Sounds like a great book that promotes forgiveness and love to all men? Really? What do you really understand about Christianity JA?

Im not totally convinced by evolution, although I do lean towards it strongly.... for evolution to be the complete answer we have to know what we evolved from and where that came from..... it is the most likely answer to where man came from but doesnt answer where life came from and why so many varieties of life exist and have existed.... or if we all crawled out of the mud why isnt all life the same.

I have no religion but I have great difficulty accepting the biblical explanation of creation..... eg...... if god created man in his image why create woman?.... if he liked what he saw so much why not create all the other planets the same?.... but I suppose the simplest question of all is.... after creating adam and eve they had two sons who left the garden and took wives.... where from?.... perhaps he created adam and eve at the end of the evolutionary process.... but that still wouldnt explain where the bladdy dinosaurs came from. I see the bible as a book of hope not an encyclopedia.

Evolution does explain what we evolved from, and why so many varieties of life exist and have existed. (Not to mention the almost infinitely greater varieties of life that failed to get a foothold.)

Perhaps it would be better if all primary schools didn't teach the stories from the bible as fact also. My little one came back from school a couple of years back telling me all about how Noah got 2 of every animal in the world onto a boat and survived a worldwide flood. Tell me how that is good education?

And FV, I don't think it is wise for some people to make their own minds up, one is fact, one is fiction. why are we still teaching fiction and ignoring the fact?

And FV, I don't think it is wise for some people to make their own minds up, one is fact, one is fiction. why are we still teaching fiction and ignoring the fact?

Because its everyone's right in a free society to believe in what they want. Otherwise you're living in a dictatorship.

I agree with you in that religion should not be part of the national curriculum. If you've read the god delusion, Dawkins makes a good point that there is no such thing as religious children. Just children of religious parents. In other words they are too young to form their own opinion.

Instead they are taught stories based upon morals that stand whether you believe or not, but it is done in the name of religion.

Because its everyone's right in a free society to believe in what they want. Otherwise you're living in a dictatorship.

I agree with you in that religion should not be part of the national curriculum. If you've read the god delusion, Dawkins makes a good point that there is no such thing as religious children. Just children of religious parents. In other words they are too young to form their own opinion.

Instead they are taught stories based upon morals that stand whether you believe or not, but it is done in the name of religion.

I understand it is a free society for everyone to believe what they want but to believe it and preach it in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary is surely stupid? Not only stupid but damaging to society. Disproving Evolution does not prove creationism.

Anyway, I love the debate it brings and attempting to change peoples views but I think there is a saying which goes; If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.

I think you underestimate society and free thinking. It seems to me that despite many being indoctrinated into a faith, when they come of age, they come to their own decision. The church of atheism seems to be the fasted growing group (I could be wrong) but previously it has not had the collective gathering that you get with religions.

This is improving with social networking.

Another point I would make is that for some Religion brings comfort and hope and they are blissfully ignorant. I do not see it my right or role to try and change this. Why should I preach to them.

It's just so easy to attack though. Does the good book not advocate slavery, also the mass murder of everyone in Jerusalem and Ethiopia? Or how about God ordering a lion to kill someone who ignored his instruction? Or the killing of people from 7 nations who did not believe?

Sounds like a great book that promotes forgiveness and love to all men? Really? What do you really understand about Christianity JA?

Didn't Moses, with the Ten Commandments fresh off the print, command an army (as commanded by god) to perform ethnic cleansing , the rape of virgins and children, and infanticide?

Archived