onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Evolution v Creationism

SuperValiant1876

Evolution and creationism don't have to be mutually exclusive do they ?

Creationists believe that the book of genesis is literally true. Creationists believe that the earth is around 6000 years old and God just waved a magic wand and everything was there. Also, the book states that God made plants before he made the sun.....

Evolution spans over around 4billions years and completely misses out the bit where God waved his magic wand and we just appeared as we are today.

Evolution and modern Christianity are not mutually exclusive, evolution and creationism certainly are, just as the fiction and non-fiction sections at a library are.

Advert

Whatever gave you that idea?

Just a slight over reaction on my part.

:laugh: Fair play

Just for others though, a scientific theory is not the same as an every day theory. Scientific theories get altered with new evidence or understanding, which is a great strength of science. Theories about God remain the same in spite of evidence to the contrary. That is the great weakness of religion.

The thing I was trying to simplify was...... even if evolution of life as we know it is accepted.... where did the initial spark of life come from?...... that live cell that evolved into a myriad of life forms..... can life be created in a test tube from totally dead/inert materials?

As I believe the spark of life came from meteors that rained down on the earth for 20 million years bringing the necessary water and minerals required for life as we know it to form. This website will explain it far better than I can so I will refer you to this. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides/ Also this http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/12/in-a-vat-primor/

As I believe the spark of life came from meteors that rained down on the earth for 20 million years bringing the necessary water and minerals required for life as we know it to form. This website will explain it far better than I can so I will refer you to this. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/05/ribonucleotides/ Also this http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/12/in-a-vat-primor/

Not read the links, but do they explain where the meteors, water and minerals came from?

Well I hope you can see from my posts that I don't think it is God. I'm merely making the point that evolution, whilst I subscribe to it still doesn't provide the complete answer.

On one side, what was before the big bang? All that energy didn't creat itself did it?

On the other who made God? And what came before

Its imponderable beyond a certain point. I was really playing Devils advocate as whilst I agree with what you are saying, you can still never prove it. My mind struggles with both concepts ultimately, which is what came before? And what came before that.

We see the phrase, in the beginning, but to me there could never have been a beginning beacuse there must have always been something to create the next level.

Anyway, I'm boring myself now.

If you find the answer let me know.

So its just a theory then?.... about as much proof as god.... not really an explanation more a good guess without proof

That's the old religious argument about the meaning of the word theory, and it's definition in this context it totally different to the one you are suggesting. It's a theory like gravity is a theory. I don't expect you to be joint off a cliff because its only a theory.

Well I hope you can see from my posts that I don't think it is God. I'm merely making the point that evolution, whilst I subscribe to it still doesn't provide the complete answer.

On one side, what was before the big bang? All that energy didn't creat itself did it?

On the other who made God? And what came before

Its imponderable beyond a certain point. I was really playing Devils advocate as whilst I agree with what you are saying, you can still never prove it. My mind struggles with both concepts ultimately, which is what came before? And what came before that.

We see the phrase, in the beginning, but to me there could never have been a beginning beacuse there must have always been something to create the next level.

Anyway, I'm boring myself now.

If you find the answer let me know.

But I think you are heading into a different debate here. Evolution is proven therefore the main basis for creationism is wrong. What happened before the big bang is a different and irrelevant discussion. Some reading on quantum mechanics can explain how there can be no "nothing" so there was always something there, supposedly something smaller than a subatomic particle which exploded in a fraction of a second to a size again incomprehensible. This stuff fascinates me and blows my mind and I really hope, although doubt that there will be an answer in our lifetimes.

The curve in dark flow points to our universe being connected to another one. Just one aspect of multiverse. It is difficult to refute god without believing in multiverse. A large number of other universes are needed to accept that this universe could just by accident have the right conditions for carbon based life etc to have occurred.

Archived