onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Muslim School in Stoke On Trent...

The mutts nuts

Advert

Kate Middleton has decided if she has a boy....She will name him after Britain's most popular name.......Welcome Mohammed........:shutup:

Say no to mo!

Oh wait, wrong thread.

The French have it right. Religion and state education don't mix. But until we are prepared to ban catholic or CofE schools, there are no grounds to prevent other religions doing the same.

Say no to mo!

Oh wait, wrong thread.

The French have it right. Religion and state education don't mix. But until we are prepared to ban catholic or CofE schools, there are no grounds to prevent other religions doing the same.

Exactly. Though it always amazes me that people who aren't religious get up in arms about Muslim schools but never say a word against CofE of catholic schools? Even nuns with cricket bats!

This is a difficult one and we start from where we - religious schools exist in the UK but are not allowed in some other countries like France. In an ideal world I would like religion to be excluded from schools and for it to be personal and family responsbilities. After all Jews need to explain to their male child why they have multilated them at birth, Hindu's need to explain why they can discrimate against a lower class person because of their birth circumstances. Some real sicko types in religion - you know, the ones that believe that women shouldn't be bishops, gay people should be executed etc, then of course we have the priest / preacher world which is festooned with sexual perverts. I guess non religious perspectives can be worse, obviously abortion being the worst manifestation of this. So I am in favour of muslem schools - they are against abortion and seem the least weird of the religions currently popular.

I didn't say that..i said they read the book, believe in its teachings and live a good life according to those teachings. The point being that whethwer it's tru or not they live a good life becasue of it

I totally agree with you but to a religious person there is much more to agood life than being nice to people

Are you saying there is no morality without God? The same God who's book tells to kill gays, adulterous women and those who refuse to follow him? Are you short changing humans and human nature by suggesting people need a book to live a good life? You surely cannot believe that those people without the bible would run amok?

People always bring God into debates such as abortion (mothers own right) stem cell research (nothing wrong with this) drug use (personal choice) gay marriage, contraception amongst other things. The world would be better off without religion, there is no argument to suggest it wouldn't. The God equals morality argument is flawed and weak.

yesterday pretentious, now childish and infantile. I know i shouldn't say such things as i'm in the presence of royalty and as such should know my place, So i will apologise for my outburst and bow to your superior education, intelligence and intellect not forgetting your status within society.

yesterday pretentious, now childish and infantile. I know i shouldn't say such things as i'm in the presence of royalty and as such should know my place, So i will apologise for my outburst and bow to your superior education, intelligence and intellect not forgetting your status within society.

Get a grip..........:doh:

So in a nutshell...they make it up as they go along, as no new evidence or information is offered.

No they don't

Are you really saying it's impssible to revisit (in general terms) the same evidence and having learned more in your life and having changed in your life cos of you experiences to see it in a different way?

I'll use Shakespeare plays as an example..I first read some of them 30 years ago but I olften revisit them or go and see performances and see things in the text which I hadn't seen or thought of before..even though the text has not changed at all. I grow as a person and see more on them, I see things in people and recogniose them in characters....we change and so does our interpreatation.

Which is a million miles away form making it up as they go along

There are many ways and places to learn about religion other than school.

There is no religious education in state funded schools in the USA yet there are many, many religious people in the country.

As I have said, if it is to be taught then children should be taught the basics of all religions..simply to understand them

Maybr the US would be better off if their children knew what the various religions believe without being taught to believe in any of them themselves..that should ideally down down to parents and commuinity

No they don't

Are you really saying it's impssible to revisit (in general terms) the same evidence and having learned more in your life and having changed in your life cos of you experiences to see it in a different way?

I'll use Shakespeare plays as an example..I first read some of them 30 years ago but I olften revisit them or go and see performances and see things in the text which I hadn't seen or thought of before..even though the text has not changed at all. I grow as a person and see more on them, I see things in people and recogniose them in characters....we change and so does our interpreatation.

Which is a million miles away form making it up as they go along

Good example using works of fiction in both examples :)

Why would god make it a riddle to know what he wants, when getting to heaven relies on it. When he says in the bible that someone should be stoned, how many ways to translate it are there. How do we know that Adam and Eve, Noah's ark are meant to be symbolic, but the resurrections and 10 commandments are literal? What experience tells you that?

Archived