onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Muslim School in Stoke On Trent...

The mutts nuts

and you accuse me of generalising, and don't feel sorry for me, i am what i am and who i am and if you don't like it then tough,you don't have, to no one asked you to and another thing the human race is very diverse and everyone has their own opinion based on their experiences perceptions and values.you have your opinion and i have mine and if you dissagree well lump it.

And now you are talking about respecting diversity! Brilliant!

Advert

If that's how you feel then don't voice opinions on here...for when you do people will respond and not simply 'lump it'.

my word people are touchy especially when an opposite opinion is posted, i didn't realise that there were so many fragile,er sensitive posters on this forum, you learn something new every day.

my word people are touchy especially when an opposite opinion is posted, i didn't realise that there were so many fragile,er sensitive posters on this forum, you learn something new every day.

That makes no sense at al

All I was saying is that if you expect people to just 'lump it' you are in the wrong place.

Not saying that he has..simply repeating what I have heard.."you say I have to prove what I believe when you cannot prove what you believe. Why do I have to provide proof when you do not?"

But there is proof to what he believes, that's the point! It's those who argue against science who don't feel they have to have proof.

Are you a creationist then JA? No point debating if you are.

No

We are just masses of matter and elements forged in stars millions of years ago. THe same elements can be found all over the solar system and in stars so far away you can't comprehend the distance.

I agree

I believe in Science.

Me too

Carl Sagan - The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous.

No true Christian belives that. The origin of that image is very recent..there is as far as I am aware no physical description of God in the bible

But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity.

Indeed it does not

Who is more humble? The scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever it has to teach us, or somebody who says everything in this book must be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of all the human beings involved?

I don't know any Christian who sees the Bible as the literal truth. Being a Christian is a journey where one constantly learns and changes and grows and makes mistakes etc etc. My sis in law is a CofE minister and very humble..she knows that she still has much to learn about the God that she worships and wil make many mistakes on the way

But there is proof to what he believes, that's the point! It's those who argue against science who don't feel they have to have proof.

It's simply the case that a religious (spiritual?) person will claim there is more to this universe than science, that science cannot explain everything...maybe one day it will

It's simply the case that a religious (spiritual?) person will claim there is more to this universe than science, that science cannot explain everything...maybe one day it will

But science won't hide from it, while religion constantly dodge proof unless it fits with the dogma they already believe.

And if the bible isn't all literal truth, how can we trust anything it says? Which contradiction to go with? Is there a guide book to let us know?

But science won't hide from it, while religion constantly dodge proof unless it fits with the dogma they already believe.

Not the ones I know; very open to discussions and to learning and changing their position as they learn. But of course the point is that their beliefs are just that, beliefs based on faith, that what they believe is true and that thru Christ (or whomever) they will find their way to God..it can't be proven until you either become nothing, descend into hell or find yourself at the pearly gates when you can look back and tell everyone "Told you so"

And if the bible isn't all literal truth, how can we trust anything it says? Which contradiction to go with? Is there a guide book to let us know?

Nope....you learn as you go along, it's a journey. Most Christians I kbnow study it and discuss and question it and interpret it, they don't just read it and think "well that's all clear then"..they tell me "God doesn't make it that easy"

Not the ones I know; very open to discussions and to learning and changing their position as they learn. But of course the point is that their beliefs are just that, beliefs based on faith, that what they believe is true and that thru Christ (or whomever) they will find their way to God..it can't be proven until you either become nothing, descend into hell or find yourself at the pearly gates when you can look back and tell everyone "Told you so"

Nope....you learn as you go along, it's a journey. Most Christians I kbnow study it and discuss and question it and interpret it, they don't just read it and think "well that's all clear then"..they tell me "God doesn't make it that easy"

So it's made up as they go along?

Archived